Options

Not staying at the Ranch at UCross?

I was very interested in booking this tour until I noticed on the website that the dates that would work for me is one of the tours that will skip staying at the Ranch at UCross on night 8 and stay at the Holiday Inn at Sheridan, Wyoming instead. This seems to me to be something that would greatly diminish the experience, a chain hotel off the interstate instead of a real dude ranch? The daily itinerary for day 8 describes the following: "Feel the spirit of the West during an authentic ranch experience – including a horseback ride* – during an overnight at The Ranch at Ucross, a real working Wyoming ranch in the heart of cowboy country." So it'd appear that the stay at the Ranch is essential to this day's itinerary, wouldn't it?

A quick google search revealed while the Ranch at UCross gets generally great reviews (including for its food), the Holiday Inn at Sheridan gets far less enthusiastic responses. I am sure this arrangement is due to hotel availability issues, but I am a little concerned that, travelers who are on the tours that skip the stay at the ranch would miss out on a lot. (Tauck's own brochure sings its praises so much!). And yet the rate for these tours are the same as the ones that stay at the ranch...

Can anyone who's been on this tour and stayed at either places provide any insight? Or anyone from Tauck?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    The day that was supposed to be spent on the dude ranch, ended up with frequent stops at scenic spots and getting on and off the bus. It was a long day, and we were deposited in Sheridan until we could get our hotel rooms. It was not a good replacement activity. I would have preferred the original itinerary.
  • Options
    Were you scheduled to go to the dude ranch? I know that some of the tours for whatever reason don't include it.
  • Options
    It was on our original itinerary but we were informed, before the trip began, that there was a change of plans. Monetarily, I am certain that it cost less for us to stay in an average Holiday Inn. As I said, the activities provided in substitution were not so exciting or interesting.
  • Options
    We returned from the southbound tour earlier this week and to be perfectly honest, we weren't impressed with the Ranch at UCross. First, it isn't a dude ranch per say with a myriad of activities. You can take a short trail ride, fish in their pond or play tennis on a court that needs repair. The cabins were lovely and the Ranch was nice and serene. I'net service and a television are available in the Activity Room. There's a very small bar and a Tauck coach fills the dining room. The food is buffet and they can't seem to keep the serving trays warm or full. After dinner they lit a camp fire outside and one of the ranch hands sang and strummed a guitar. The night before we arrived they lost electricity for several hours. It's definitely better and more enjoyable than a Holiday Inn, but it's only one night.
  • Options
    My husband and i will be taking the northbound trip on Sept. 7 and are not scheduled to be at the UCross ranch. I asked someone at Tauck what substituted for the ranch activities, and I was told that (weather permitting) we would make a trip to the Little Bighorn area of Custer's Last Stand. Hoping that this is true. Has anyone else done this?
  • Options
    I stayed at the ranch a few years ago. I spent my time there in the pool. The horse ride was not much. Very tame. I remember the food as good and I spent my evening sitting outside getting to know the bus driver. For the most part it is just a place to sleep. I did not stay in the cabin. I was in the main building.
  • Options
    You are spot-on in your assessment of the U Cross Ranch in Cody being a critically important part of the trip for the Yellowstone & Grand Teton tour. I took the tour 8/19 thru 8/28/12 and my Prestige travel agent made sure I was booked on a tour that included the ranch stay rather than a chain hotel off the interstate (well put). U Cross Ranch was the highlight of my trip. Our next night after the ranch was a stay at a Holiday Inn in Cody, WY. You can't even compare the two, and I'm sure it would be the same with the chain hotel at Sheridan, WY. Other than the ranch stay, my entire experience with the tour was a disappointment, solely due to a VERY poor tour director. I was shocked to have anything but a top-notch tour director as I've had in the past. If it is possible to check in advance who your T.D. will be, I suggest staying away from the one I had on the 8/19-8/28/12 trip this year. Tauck should furnish that person's name upon request.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Diana, Were you traveling north or south? We traveled north on August 28th & our guide could not have been better. We did stay at the Ranch & enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Diana , you should post a review of this trip... go to your profile and past trips and you can do this...so others are aware. thanks
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    We took the Northbound tour last fall and stayed at the ranch. If you expect a full blown dude ranch you will be disappointed. However, the ranch is beautiful, quiet, clean and friendly. It is far superior to the accommodations in town.
  • Options
    DianaR wrote:
    You are spot-on in your assessment of the U Cross Ranch in Cody being a critically important part of the trip for the Yellowstone & Grand Teton tour. I took the tour 8/19 thru 8/28/12 and my Prestige travel agent made sure I was booked on a tour that included the ranch stay rather than a chain hotel off the interstate (well put). U Cross Ranch was the highlight of my trip. Our next night after the ranch was a stay at a Holiday Inn in Cody, WY. You can't even compare the two, and I'm sure it would be the same with the chain hotel at Sheridan, WY. Other than the ranch stay, my entire experience with the tour was a disappointment, solely due to a VERY poor tour director. I was shocked to have anything but a top-notch tour director as I've had in the past. If it is possible to check in advance who your T.D. will be, I suggest staying away from the one I had on the 8/19-8/28/12 trip this year. Tauck should furnish that person's name upon request.

Hello Diana,

We are very sorry to hear that the trip fell below your expectations and appreciate your bringing your concerns to our attention. We care very much about your complete satisfaction with Tauck and have asked someone some the Guest Relations team to contact you directly. I have also brought your feedback to the TD Management Team. Thank you for your patronage.

- Emily

This discussion has been closed.