Options

Scotland Tour #001177002

We are looking forward to the August 14 tour of Scotland and inclusion of the Military Tattoo. This will be our first Tauck Tour and we were planning casual attire for the day tours. Could you advise if any of our evening plans require something dressier such as coat and tie for the men? Also, do you have a daily agenda for the tour?

Comments

• Options
    My husband and I took this tour last September so we didn't get to see the Royal Tattoo but the itinerary is the same. Scotland is casual, so don't worry about dressy clothes - although you can never go wrong with a sports coat - it isn't necessary, but it's probably a good idea to pack one. i don't think a tie is necessary though. The elegant Cameron House in Loch Lomond does not require a coat and tie in the dining room. There is also another Boat House restaurant that is even more casual. When you meet the group on the first night, you walk down to the marina for a boat ride on the lake and will be served cocktails and appetizers. Then there is a group dinner in a private room at the hotel. Nice casual is all you need and comfortable shoes to walk to the marina.
    Kings Mill Hotel is even more casual and they don't tell you beforehand that you pretty much "come as you are" to dinner one night since there really isn't time to change after your tour. We had a lot of fun that night with a bagpiper and dancers to entertain us during our meal. The regular dining room doesn't require a jacket either but it's nice to be a little more dressed up than touring clothes.
    The Balmoral in Edinburgh is very elegant, but again, not necessary to get overly dressed up. There is a very elegant bar off the main lobby and then one to the side which is casual and so is the dining room. There are pubs and restaurants up and down the Royal Mile that do not require anything more than your touring clothes.
    We had a fabulous time at a restaurant close by that used to be a Bank. It's gorgeous inside and the food was good. Ask the Concierge to make a reservation for you and you won't be disappointed. Of course, it will be much busier during the Tattoo season then when we were there in September so make your plans early.
    Most important to pack is waterproof jackets and shoes and an umbrella. Layers in case the weather is cool but it could be very warm. We had a lot of rain and drizzle in the Highlands but were very fortunate with sunny weather in Edinburgh. We chose not to go to St. Andrews on the last day of the tour, but members of our group said that it was the highlight of the trip. Instead, we took a bus to see the Royal Yacht and enjoyed that immensely.

Have fun!
  • Options
    R Crain:
    Took this trip last week - 7/29 to 8/5 2012. It was fabulous! My husband brought a sport jacket, but wore it only once - the last night - but it was not necessary.
    We went to the Tattoo. What a great show. The hotels are very nice. The food was amazing.
    I agree with Roberta's post above, that you should bring a warmer jacket/sweatshirt. Definitely a rain jacket and umbrella. We had wonderful weather, but we also got rained on too. Be prepared for most anything...it's Scotland.

You should have a wonderful time. It will be difficult not too.
    Enjoy.
    Karen
This discussion has been closed.