Options

Tauck's Gift of Time in 2013

There has been some discussion regarding the Gift of Time offer this year.

Thanks to those who have shared their thoughts on this year’s Gift of Time offer. We view the Gift of Time as a nice way to express our appreciation to our past guests – a little something extra and unexpected.

The Gift of Time began just two years ago. A key reason why we were able to first offer the Gift of Time was the close cooperation of our hotel partners. Two years ago our hotel partners were particularly keen to partner with Tauck to give value to our guests and secure room-nights for their properties, given recent economic events.

As both the global economy and tourism have recovered, and as occupancy rates in our hotels have returned to normal, our suppliers have not been able to offer us the same availability of rooms as we’ve enjoyed in the recent past. Thus, this year’s more modest incarnation of the Gift of Time.

We’re very pleased to be offering the Gift of Time for the third consecutive year. But like every other company, Tauck is impacted by the events that shape our world. We encourage you to enjoy the Gift of Time for what we’ve always intended it to be – an opportunity to provide you with additional value and a sincere gesture of our appreciation.

Comments

• Options
    My wife and I received a two day Gift of Time for our trip to Paris and Provence this past September. As like others, we are disappointed that the two day gift has been reduced to one day. Here is a thought. One of your best selling devices is the positive reviews travelers send in after their tour. I read these religiously but am disappointed that there are so few reviews presented. With so many people taking the tours one would think that a tour would rate more than one or two reviews. Perhaps that second Gift of Time Day could be added on to those who send in a trip review.
  • Options
    Gosh! That's one heck of a word rate you're asking for, thosbryan! At the room rate effective at one of the hotels I stayed at in September that'd nearly US$3 a word! I should be redirecting my career focus to money for comment. I could make a fortune. I have so many back tours to cash in on and at least the reviews would be genuine. I could contract out my skills to all the friends I've made on Tauck tours. Kerching, kerching! After all, writing a review can be very difficult. Not everyone can do it. I'm sure we can come to an acceptable arrangement. Kerching. I'll be able to stay for free for ages! Woo hoo! I'd better get cracking.

Cheers,

Jan.
  • Options
    Gosh Jan! What an honor to receive a reply to my comments from a bonified Tauck expert!! This tour business is very competitive and a company needs to have an edge sometimes. The two days offered us for our 2012 tour was the edge that clinched our France tour with Tauck. Not sure what we will do in 2013 without that Tauck "edge". MANY other Tauck travelers are also disappointed that the 2 day gift of time was reduced to 1. I at least I took the time to offer a suggestion as a positive solution to the problem. In the business world you never take away perks, you always add them. The gift of Time should have begun as a one day gift and left as one day. You raise to two, you can't go back.

Is sarcasm the best you have to offer?? Come on now Jan. You are the expert, come up with a workable solution to the problem.
  • Options
    I understand the effects of the economy and I appreciate companies that make some effort to reward customer loyalty. Since 2008 I have taken trips with 3 companies: 2 with Tauck Bridges, 3 with Adventures by Disney and 1 with Lindblad Expeditions. For all three companies the itineraries and service were great and they all offer perks to returning guests. When choosing our trip for this past summer, I narrowed the choices to two: one with Tauck and one with Disney. Both trips had a lot to offer and it was difficult to choose knowing that both would be fantastic. In the end, the deciding factor was the 2 free hotel nights with Tauck. There are a lot of factors to consider when choosing a trip, and free hotel stays will not always sway my decision, but in this case it did. Without the 2-night gift of time offer, I would not have traveled with Tauck in 2012. One night would not have effected my decision. One would think the return business far outweighs the cost of an additional night of lodging. Just something for Tauck to consider. If hotel availability is an issue, maybe some other perk could be substituted. BTW - I am traveling with Adventures by Disney in 2013. But Tauck is still in the running for 2014. :)
  • Options
    thosbryan wrote:
    Is sarcasm the best you have to offer?? Come on now Jan. You are the expert, come up with a workable solution to the problem.

Since 29th October, I have been focused on other things. I am much more concerned about all those poor people on the north east coast of the United States than I am with one company's past and present marketing campaigns and other people's purchasing decisions. I am much more concerned with the people who are suffering such grief, tragedy and terrible hardship. I have been more concerned with how I could do something to help. Their suffering puts all else into perspective.

Jan
  • Options
    We have travelled with Tauck 4 times since 2010 and all have been wonderful, however the 2 nights of gift of time played into our decision. Next year we are booked once again with Tauck for Italy but as a result of the change of the gift of time we switched our trip to Turkey to another company which offered a better deal. Most travel companies offer perks to those who travel with them the most for instance Princess Cruises, Insight, ets. It doesn't have to an extra night but could be something that show they appreciate your loyality. The more you travel with them the better the perks. I don't send a lot of replys because a lot are just someones personal opinion but felt compelled this time to put my two cents worth in.
  • Options
    There is a saying: "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". We have taken 11 Tauck tours and it was only recently, that we received the gift of time. It was a surprise when we were given 2 nights free because we had planned to go 2 nights extra without the gift. This year, we also appreciate the 1 extra night.

I have compared some of the tours that we took with Tauck with other companies (item by item), both by itinerary and price. When you see how many amenities are included by Tauck, the qualities of the hotels, the quality and number of meals included and the places on the itinerary to be visited in depth against the options offered by other companies, including their perks, there is very little doubt that Tauck is the better choice.

We will continue to travel with Tauck with or without the "Gift of Time" for all of our travel needs.

Bev

• Options
    Hi Bev,

You took the words right out of my mouth. We are going on our 19th Tauck Tour in July 2013 and the two free nights were very nice, but were NOT the deciding factor when we chose Tauck. It was the service and the quality of the Tour Directors and local guides. We have never been disappointed. My husband just compared the various top companies doing Antartica and again chose Tauck over them for 2014. When we were on the Danube in Romania this past August, Tauck came through with wonderful service so we the customers would NOT be inconvenienced due to the Danube getting very low near the Black Sea. They gave the passengers on both portions of the river cruise vouchers to use when they returned home. Thank you Tauck for one free hotel night on our next tour in July 2013! We appreciate your service very much!

Sheila
  • Options
    Many tour companies have loyal customers who have traveled with them, were pleased with the experience, and return year after year. They are happy with one company and don't see any reason to try any others. If Tauck or any other company can fully book all their trips with those people, then they have no reason to offer any incentives at all. But there are other people who travel with different companies and compare itineraries, service, price, incentives, etc. before deciding. To woo those people the company needs to differentiate themselves in some way and sometimes that is by offering an attractive incentive. If Tauck’s itineraries and service were far superior to other companies that would be the only thing I would consider. But if I had to rank the three companies I’ve traveled with so far, I would rank Tauck third. I’m not a person who is going to return to Tauck every year just because it’s Tauck, when I know from experience I can have a comparable or better travel experience with another company. So the incentives are an important part of my decision process. I do appreciate a business that makes the extra effort to retain my business.
  • Options
    As a frequent Tauck traveler and reader of the Forum, I am wondering why someone has picked one portion of the "Gift of Time" discussion to write about again. If you go back to General Discussion and check out the topic, "Gift of time in 2013 is half gift compared to 2012", you will discover that this topic was discussed extensively in June.
    I enjoyed the gift of two days on three of my previous 18 tours (I have two booked for the future already and will enjoy my one day gift of time). When you discuss "perks" for returning travelers, I feel that there are things embedded in the tours that make them worthwhile. Getting a private before hours tour of the Georgia O"Keefe Museum in Santa Fe or one of the National Archives during the On Hallowed Ground tour are perks to me. I Have been to the Archives and had to fight through crowds to see our country's documents but on that tour, there were only 40 of us with docents in there at the time. I understand that if you go to the Sistine Chapel, you will also have this perk. There are other things, such as ordering anything from the menu and not restricted to a special one, having rooms with excellent views, such as looking out on Lake Louise from the Chateau, and having someone meet me at the airport are "perks."
    Maybe other companies offer things, however on the whole I have found that the quality of service and extensive itinerary of the Tauck tours is my priority and not "things". I look at where the tour is going and if it includes what I want to see, then I will book it. As I said in a previous reply to this topic, if there is another tour company that will offer me two free nights AND includes the extensive itinerary without having to purchase extras, then please let me know.
  • Options
    What you call "Perks" are part of your planned tour and you are paying for them. This is fine as you know up front what to expect. Not all Tauck customers travel as much as some ot the "experts" and look at all companies for their travel needs. There are many out there as good as Tauck but do offer incentives to repeat customers. Once you offer customers a perk and then take it away customers quite often look elsewhere for their needs. National Geopraphic often offer their customers an early booking discount which I believe is how the gift of time was started for Tauck. You may not have received the gift of time years ago but the economy has changed and companies need a way of keeping customers, word of mouth only goes so far. The reason this keeps coming up as non "experts" who do not post numerous times a day about anything also have an opinion and are obviusly not happy with Tauck's decission.
  • Options
    Hi Sheila,

I'll just add another few words. First of all, no one is criticizing those people who find what they consider to be a better deal for themselves. We all have personal ideas as to what we want on a vacation and each of us has the right to go with any company that we wish. If this wasn't so, we wouldn't have the multitude of travel companies out there.

With that said, as we know, Tauck does not advertize and depends on "word of mouth" for their new customers. In my opinion, the Gift of Time is not a perk or incentive, because new customers do not have it offered to them, so it is what it is meant to be; a gift. When we received the "gift" for the first time, I thought "Isn't that nice to reward those who have taken previous trips with them". It is unfortunate that this Gift of Time has caused so much complaint to a company that tried to do something nice for their returning customers.

I hope that this post ends this thread.

Bev

• Options
    edited November 2012
    As a frequent Tauck traveler and reader of the Forum, I am wondering why someone has picked one portion of the "Gift of Time" discussion to write about again.

A Tauck representative started this thread. I didn't see any of the other discussions, so I commented on his post.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    This topic was discussed on the forum board early June. The title of the thread was "Gift of Time in 2013 is a 'Half Gift' compared to 2012". It was started by forum users, not by any Tauck people. Here's what I said at that time . . .
    _______

My wife and I were thrilled about the 2-day "Gift of Time" for our French Waterways and Vineyards river cruise this year, and we are equally thrilled about next year's 1-day. It's a "gift" . . . and gifts deserve a thank you. Thank you Tauck!
    _______

The additional day is not an entitlement. Look at it for what it is. I choose Tauck for the total experience . . . and I personally have found the experience with them better than with any other company I've travelled with. Others may have a differing opinion, and that's fine for them. For me, it's Tauck!
This discussion has been closed.