Options

Luggage and hiking/walking shoes

We are on the August 31- Sept 7, 2012 trip. It mentions a "normal" size bag, would a bag slightly larger than a carry-on be acceptable for the bus? Also, are hiking boots required or would comfortable, sturdy walking shoes work for these walks? I'm sure other travelers have good experience with this tour. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Gator Guy,

My husband & I are wondering the same thing about hiking boots. I'm hoping good sneakers will do as we don't want to have to buy hiking boots for this 1 week trip that we won't use again. I read that the walks are all about 2-4 miles or so which makes me thing sneakers will do but would love to have an "official" answer. I wish there was more activity on these boards as I would love to know more about this trip-activity level, animal viewing, anything at all really. We are on the July 20th departure & are starting to get excited. Have fun on your trip!
  • Options
    Took this trip a couple of years ago. Bought hiking boots but a good pair of walking shoes or tennis shoes would have been just fine. Scenery is beautiful - accommodations are national park status and part of the ambiance of the trip. Old Faithful and the bears made the whole trip for us.
  • Options
    Hi! Gator Guy

A normal sized suitcase is 26-29 inches. We always take the largest size allowed by the airlines. That leaves room for souvenirs on the return trip home. Busses are large and comfortable and all luggage is carried underneath the bus. A small day pack or case fits in the overhead and as a side note....the bus is always locked if the driver leaves it. Been on 9 trips with Tauck and they do a fine job for their guest. Have a good trip.
  • Options
    Thanks lxyldy,
    Do you remember if you stayed in the lodges or in the cabins? I agree w/ you about Tauck-this is tour #7 for us-they are the best!
  • Options
    This particular tour of Yellowstone & the Tetons was brand new last year and did involve some different activities from the original Yellowstone and Teton tour. There were some "adventurous" hikes that warranted more than a light sneaker. Many in our group did have hiking shoes, but good sneakers or walking shoes, with good ankle support, worked for many of us. I did bring two pair - the lighter pair for the rafting trip and the easy walks and the others for the hike down to the falls at Yellowstone and the cross-country walk in Jackson Hole.
  • Options
    The buses on this tour are smaller than those used for the 40 person tours (although it still had a bathroom!) There was not as much overhead room in the bus for carry ons. No cabins on our tour - we spent 3 nights at the Old Faithful Inn and the other nights in two great lodges in Jackson Hole. The trip was amazing!
  • Options
    Thanks for all your valuable information and tips. I think we will throw in a pair of low-cut hikers, along with the running shoes. I guess it is always easy to take too much on these outdoor activities. The luggage size info, from "experienced" Tauck travelers, was very helpful.
  • Options
    Andrea wrote:
    This particular tour of Yellowstone & the Tetons was brand new last year and did involve some different activities from the original Yellowstone and Teton tour. There were some "adventurous" hikes that warranted more than a light sneaker. Many in our group did have hiking shoes, but good sneakers or walking shoes, with good ankle support, worked for many of us. I did bring two pair - the lighter pair for the rafting trip and the easy walks and the others for the hike down to the falls at Yellowstone and the cross-country walk in Jackson Hole.

Hi Andrea,
    We are going on this trip next month and I had a question about the biking portion. Did they require you to wear a bike helmet? I'm asking because if they do I would MUCH rather bring my own. But I don't want to bring it if we don't have to wear them, rather travel as light as possible.
    Thanks,
    Maureen
  • Options
    Thanks for the great tips! We too will be on the Aug. 31st trip and are starting to plan what we are going to pack. Looking forward to the trip!!
  • Options
    Moe, the helmets and water bottles were provided by the company running the biking excursion. After a quick lesson for some of the non-bikers, everyone was off and pedaling. After a relatively easy bike loop, the group was given the choice of a range of rides from challenging to photo safari. Each group had a guide and there was a "chase" van for anyone requiring assistance.
  • Options
    Just to clarify, Moe, it was my understanding that the biking helmets were required. Everyone wore one, including the guides. They were more than comfortable for the duration of the ride - obviously, during the rest and picture stops, almost everyone took them off since they are so attractive :)
  • Options
    Hi All,
    We recently returned from the June 20th departure of this trip-just wanted to say it was terrific! Alan, our guide was awesome & the rest of our group was a lot of fun. The sights were awesome, we saw a lot of wildlife & the experiences (hiking, biking, horseback riding) were all so well done. The small group thing was new to us (7 Tauck tours but 1st small group) & we really like it, it gave everyone a chance to bond & we had a lot of laughs. For those of you getting ready to go, enjoy! You will love this trip!!
  • Options
    Hi. I am also on the Septemeber 1st trip. Thanks for the info on shoes. I have a pair of New Balance "Country Walkers" which are a cross between a sneaker & low-hiker. I will in Jackson on Saturday afternoon if anyone wants to get together at night for a drink. This is my 1st tour and I am traveling solo.
This discussion has been closed.