Trying to decide

Good day- My husband is someone who is a meat and potatoes guy- and of course Italian food (hence our Tauck trips to Italy) I would love to go to France- but I am concerned- and trying to be considerate- for those of you who may be more Tauck experienced- would a trip to France and their well known incredible cuisine, just not be my husbands cup of tea or very narrow perspective on what he will comfortably eat- no disrespect intended- I just don't know-I want hime to enjoy the trip as much as I would, there are other places to visit, I know. but I think he would enjoy the history and art, just not sure about the food. Thanks so much.

Comments

• It's hard to know without knowing your husband's tastes. In general on Tauck trips there are options at most meals. In the rare cases where there is no choice (haven't seen this in a while - I think Tauck strives to give choices these days), it is usually something that is a safe choice. If you husband won't eat fish or something like that, let the tour director know in advance and they will come up with an alternative.

Something you might consider is taking a riverboat cruise. The food on the boats tends to be more attuned to American tastes, although they try to include local dishes. At dinner on the boats, you can always get a steak or a burger, if you don't like the choice of entrees.

I wouldn't let food concerns stop you from going to France. Bon Voyage and Bon Appetit!
  • Again, Ken has provided great advice, but you also need to look at this from another perspective. We are not foodies either, but go for the history, geography, architecture, culture, etc., food is low on our tour selection criteria list. Where would your husband rather go or what would he like to see??? We find there is always something to eat- they do serve Italian food and other continental (and American) fare in France- you won't be forced into or limited to steak tartare, escargot or faux gras : )
  • I agree with Ken that the safest course is to go for a river cruise where breakfast and lunch are both buffets with plenty of choices. My husband still has fond memories of the chef carving prime rib at lunch one day on the Rhone. Dinner always has 3-4 choices of entrees plus basics like steak, salmon, chicken. In fact, my husband ate steak in Arthurs bistro one night and thought it was the best he'd ever had.

Plenty of "safe" choices but I've also had the opportunity to try some items that don't come in my way - duck, Bresse chicken (awesome) and some more out there items like frogs legs and snails. And the wine is always excellent on the cruises.

And Alan is right that first and foremost is the itinerary and whether it appeals.
  • Though it’s a while since I was in France, I have never had a bad meal there. There are many American type choices there, it’s just that they are much tastier and far less salty. The best chicken I ever tasted was in France many years ago on a cheap plat du jour menu.
  • Thank you so much to all who answered- your comments were so welcomed and helpful, as always! I think with your suggestions and a little bit more adventurous spirit going in- we (he) will be loving the itinerary and what Tauck offers things will "d'accord"! Thanks again !!!
  • France..As British Notes, BEST chicken I have ever had, and don’t’ get me started on the mashed potatoes ( there is cheese and loads of butter involved)!