Options

Cameras

We will be on the Kenya Tanzania tour in August, and are shopping for a camera since we have been relying on our cell phones for the point and shoot approach for years.... easy and nothing big to carry. For this trip I would like to learn how to take good pictures with a good camera and lense, but will need something easily understood.
Any recommendations? Hopefully if I get started soon I will have it figured out before August.

Comments

• Options
    Hi LaurelLee
    I'm going next August 25th. my best suggestion is to go to a photo-camera shop and let them know your plans, they can guide you to what it's best for your needs. Also, if you are interested there is a rental company Borrow Lenses .
    https://www.borrowlenses.com , that is absolutely amazing. they have great equipment, the rentals are not to expensive and they are reliable. They will ship the lens to you and have plenty of great discount deals, I used them all the time and will for this trip. Check them out.
  • Options
    I have what is considered an entry level camera a Cannon T5i, the current model is the T6i which is better but of course a little more expensive. Somewhere on the Tauck site they recommended a 250mm zoom lens. I found that a little ‘lite’ so I now have a 300. A little more power but not too much heavier. I’m sure Alan and Doug are more expert on this subject than I, but as an amature who just wants reasonably good piectures, these cameras are pretty easy to use and have abundant features. I have two lenses, a ‘normal’ to wide angle zoom, and the telephoto zoom. These met my requirements except for the leopard that was 300 yards away in a tree.
  • Options
    You might also consider a teleconverter to extend your tele. Some folks love them, some purists hate them. I used one, but it was made by my manufacturer for the camera/lens combination I used, specifically. So if you decide to consider a teleconverter, check out the reviews and ratings. But it could extend your range quite a bit.

You ought to be able to get great photos. I thought the previous suggestion to practice at a zoo was a nice idea -- it gives you a chance to judge distance and practice composition, and find how you feel about your lens focal length.

Have a lovely trip.

Doug
  • Options
    Thanks for that info. I actually intend to bring less stuff to Africa this time than last. We had BA lose our luggage on our Baltic and St. Petersburg trip (they lost us also) and we learned how little we really needed. We had our carry-ons with two changes of clothes and we did just fine. Le Soleal was nice enough to give us free laundry and that helped a lot. We travelled to Africa with our two Tauck duffels, and a roll-aboard and seldom even opened the roll-aboard. We will still bring the roll-aboard but it will primarily serve as a cart for the duffels.
  • Options
    Reminds me when we were newlyweds -- did Europe on $15 day, including gas. And we used two small carry-ons. No curlers and curling irons, my wife just wore a wig. LOL. She didn't seem to care, then, that I wore the same 2 outfits through out the trip. Things have changed. LOL.

Doug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file