Uluru and Field of Light

Has anyone done the Field of Light exhibit in Uluru? Do you recommend it and where did you eat dinner in Uluru? Did anyone do the Sounds of Silence dinner? Thanks so much for the help.

Comments

• I don’t recall that we had much free time in Uluru and our meals were at the hotel.
  • edited January 2018
    It's a few years since we were there. I had to look up the Field of Light, which is a lighting Art exhibit in the area and it only runs until the end of March. It's been there for about 18 months and a huge success. Like AshEd, I recall very little free time although the tour these days has changed somewhat from when we took it. I believe now Tauck takes a direct flight to Uluru. Wen we did the tour we flew to Alice Springs, had a chance to look round town and had lunch there and then on to Uluru later that day. I loved visiting such a famous town. It looks as if you have to buy advance tickets to the show because it has been so popular. If you want to go, I suggest you call Tauck for the quickest answer, because others like me who have taken the Australia tour may recall different time frames and experiences.
  • Thanks so much for your replies. It seems like the tour is a bit different now and I will try to reach out to Tauck to see if they can offer any incite. Thanks again
  • When we did this trip +/- 7 years ago we had lunch in a curio shop at Alice Springs then Uluru later with wine/drinks and light food then dinner back at the hotel. Time at the rock itself was closely managed.
  • We were at Uluru a couple of years ago, flew directly from Melbourne,. saw the rock in the late afternoon/sunset with a nice champagne reception, then went to the hotel for dinner. Then we was it again the next am, and went around it

It is truly spectacular (but be aware of the flies)

Have a good trip
  • This past February we did the Field of Lights and the Sounds of Silence dinner. It was a great experience. The champagne and canapes were a nice start. The dinner was a great buffet under the stars. We were at a table for 8 and had a great time with the other folks. The food was probably a better choice than in the hotel and included kangaroo. There was a pretty impressive astronomy presentation and followed by the walk through the field of lights. Picking up and dropping off was done in a professional manner. I would do it again. It was a highlight of the Australia portion of the trip.
  • Thanks AnnieHayden, it is nice to hear from someone who did the exhibit and dinner. Appreciate the info, I think we will go ahead and do it.
  • WHO did you do the fields of light tour with?Do you have anyone or will Tauck schedule
    ALSO you mentioned flies How buggy is the tour?
  • The flies are quite annoying, but Tauck will give you a face mask to protect you.

• If you visit Australia in their winter, there are no flies at Uluru and temperatures everywhere else are pleasant.
  • Did the Australia/New Zealand tour at the end of October and did the field of light add on. You pay a separate fee for this "add on" and they bus you from the hotel to see the lights. Personally, I thought it a waste and it made eating dinner difficult, as the bus for Field of Lights leavess shortly after the group returns to the hotel after seeing Ayers rock at sunset. Wound up eating a late dinner at the hotel afte the Field of Lights I'm not sure when you are going, but I think this exhibit will end in February. Loved the tour in all respects, but the Field of Lights was a snore. Looks a lot better in the brochures, but would pass on it given a choice. Just my opinion!
  • Thanks Sandman, appreciate your perspective. I am quite torn about the exhibit and was thinking about the dinner timing as well.
  • We did a visit last June and the Field of Lights exhibit was part of our tour package (not with Tauck). It came with a buffet dinner and it was very cold at that time of year. Flies disappear after dusk.

The dinner under the stars coupled with an astronomical display were a highlight. No light pollution, so the sky is spectacular at night.

The display has been extended until 2020. It provides a nice backdrop to your buffet and entertainment experience.

https://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/events/detail/field-of-light-uluru
  • John T's post talks about a non-truck visit. There is no opportunity to eat a buffet with Tauck; just the Field of Light and if you are that unsure, I would pass on it. There is so much offered on this trip that this is a zero, in my opiniion. Read the comments posted by past travelers on this trip and you won't see any mention of this as a highlight of the trip; in most cases, I'm sure they forgot about it after they continued on the next 18 days of amazing places and activities. I am a photo dork and thought it would be a great photo opportuinity, but it wasn't! Take the freee brochures they have in the hotel for the great pictures (which you won't get) and enjoy your dinner at the hotel during normal dinner hours. It is dark, hard to find your way along the path, and easy to lose your sense of where you are in a pitch black field with low led lights on the ground all around you Really, don't want to make the decision for you, but my vote is pass on it! See if you get any different responses, but I am being sincere, but again, it is only my opinion!!
  • Was on this trip last April. The ticket for Field of Lights was charged to our hotel bill. I agree with Sandman, not great. It probably is spectacular but the field is flat and they provide no elevation for viewing the lights. We even made our way to what we could tell was the highest elevation and there was no improvement in viewing quality. Some sort of raised platform along 1 side would probably make it a much better experience. If you’re an amateur photographer, forget your camera unless you will be satisfied with close ups of individual lights. Overall, it just doesn’t compare to some of the light shows I’ve been to here in the US. My advice, you have conflicting opinions so make your decision based on your expectations. One thing we all agree on, it’s a fabulous trip.
  • I had never heard of it so checked it out on Google and watched a video of it. While I'm usually game for anything on tour, frankly, this doesn't rise to a gotta or want-to-see level. Seeing the stars w/no light pollution sounds interesting, however- set my GoPro on time-lapse.
  • Thanks to everyone who posted. I really appreciate all the opinions. I am still up in the air and that does tell me that I probably should pass on it. I will discuss with my travel companions and let them decide.
  • I did this tour in April 2017 - we went to Uluru and there was a "heavy hors d'ouevers" buffet set out for us as we watched the sun set on Uluru with champagne and lots and lots of nibbles. You really did not need dinner after that. There was a bus that took people to the Field of Lights exhibit and really mixed reaction from the folks that went. Some thought it was beautiful and others thought it was a complete waste of time -- I would try to find pictures on line and see if that is something you need to see in person.
  • Previously posted about our experience. I agree with all that just the field of lights would be questionable; however, the dinner under the stars in the outback was unforgettable. In fact our group of 4 all found it to be one of the highlights of the Aussie portion. We did go in Feb so temps were pleasant. Flies did dissipate by the evening. As I understood from other guests, other dining experiences were limited at the hotel. Between the canapes, dinner, and Field of Lights we got back to the hotel around 11PM. Booked on line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file