What to do between game drives?

I know normally the early game drive is before 9:00 am but what about the pm one? and what does most of the people do in between the drives ... is there enough time to enjoy hotel, pool or spa? What about the gift shops inside the hotels?
Those anyone remember if there is a gift shop @ the Four Seasons?
Sorry to ask so many questions but I want to make sure I can get most of my time during downtime... Okay, I'll be honest I LOVE SPAS!!! it's part of my vacation routine. :)))
Thanks in advance, AlanS :)) . and everyone else.

Comments

• edited October 2017

There is definitely time between drives to have lunch and take a short rest. However, the only spa I remember is at the Four Seasons and I believe we had a fair amount of time one afternoon there. Some people went swimming and I'll bet you'd have time for the spa. The afternoon drives began later, perhaps at around 3:00?, hmmm. They started later because the animals are more active near dusk and they need to get to the sites. Funny how quickly you forget the logistics.

Every hotel has a gift shop and I thought the Ngorongoro Crater lodge and the Masai Mara had really good ones. People said that the pop-up concession at one of our bush airports had really nice stuff. I also remember that the Oldupai Gorge had very nice things.

Have a blast. We are still talking about the trip.

Melanie
  • The limited number products in the small hotel gift shops can be scoped out (and memorized : ) ) in a few minutes. You will have some early go's and sometimes late dinners, so after lunch folks would have drinks, mess with their cameras/photos, draft emails, read, or just chill. Some would take a power nap.
  • edited October 2017
    The infinity pool at the Four Seasons is not to be missed, especially if you are in it when the elephants come by in the late afternoon to drink and play at the watering hole behind it. Yes, there is a gift shop there, but, as expected, they have very high-end goods. The Serena’s are more reasonable and they vary from hotel to hotel. Yes, One airport did have a small gift shop, and our TD had scored a great purse there on an earlier trip. Basically, you just never know. As I recall, the one at Amboseli had some different things, and the one in Nairobi had an excellent gift shop with a very wide variety of reasonably priced goods. Also, the lunch stop spot as we entered the Serengeti also had some goods...shirts and jewelry. I just don’t recall having a whole bunch of down time, except at The Mount Kenya Safari Club, and I thought it was the one part of the trip I did not particularly care for. We did play golf, more like “pasture golf”, but I started to feel a bit Safari deprived during our time there. I would think spa time would be available there. On our final evening, our TD was off to the spa at the Nairobi Serena’s before she went back for the next trip.
  • Thanks you guys... now I have a better picture on what to expect during & between game drives... I knew I wasn't going to have much chance for Spas and my idea was a massage as I arrive a day earlier than a spa treatment at the Four seasons as long as the elephants are not around.. I'm not missing them for anything!, all the animals are the main priority ... and than another treatment in Nairobi before my flight. So, I'm good. Now the shopping is not really important , I'm just looking for magnets for my collection... nothing Fancy. So , one last thing... how long are the game drives, .... about 4-5 or more? Thanks for all the info. I'm getting really excited about this trip. The more I watch YouTube videos and google search ....the more amazing it looks. Have a great evening everyone.
  • The game drives are around two to three hours long but can vary especially if an extra special siting is found. Usually two game drives a day. This is plenty of time. When traveling from camp to camp, it can be a full day of travel and so a full day of 'safari' stopping to see some things on the way. Although there is little walking on this tour, it's tiring because of the 5-30 ish wake up times and if you go on the balloon ride it is even earlier.
  • thanks British.
    The drives are not as long as I though... great I think for now I have all the xtra info. I can think of.
    Also, have a great trip to Namibia, take pictures... that might be a future destination... Let us know :)
    Thanks & take care.
    Mel.
  • edited October 2017
    Mel,
    Another enticement...in 2013 (June, July or August?) a guy with the handle of “Handyandy” (I think) posted a link to his 30 minute video on Vimeo of his family’s trip. I hope it is still available as it is the reason my reluctant husband okayed this trip after our Egypt trip was cancelled. It says a lot when I look at someone’s home video about 3+ times! If you go back through the K&T thread, you should be able to find the link. I would be more specific, but it seems that the sub-forums are on vacation, once again! Bummer, Tauck! While we went at a different time of year, it was a great overview of the trip without spoiling anything. By the way, my husband ended up loving the trip!
  • edited October 2017
    joycesw wrote:
    Mel,
    Another enticement...in 2013 (June, July or August?) a guy with the handle of “Handyandy” (I think) posted a link to his 30 minute video on Vimeo of his family’s trip. I hope it is still available as it is the reason my reluctant husband okayed this trip after our Egypt trip was cancelled. It says a lot when I look at someone’s home video about 3+ times! If you go back through the K&T thread, you should be able to find the link. I would be more specific, but it seems that the sub-forums are on vacation, once again! Bummer, Tauck! While we went at a different time of year, it was a great overview of the trip without spoiling anything. By the way, my husband ended up loving the trip!

Oooh, what a memory. I'm really impressed!!! : )

Here is the link to HandAndy's video/slide show (posted in Aug 2013!):

They got to touch Kofi and Queen Elizabeth! We got close, but couldn't touch, though I don't think anyone asked?!?!?

IMG_25021.jpg
  • Hah! Well done, Alan! I only remember the specifics because that is the year we took this trip...now, where did I put my reading glasses????
  • edited October 2017
    :) Joycesw
    I'm an optician ... I can sale you a pair or two.

AlanS , I saw the video excellent.
    Thanks
  • Thanks, Mel, but at present I pretty much have a pair in every room in our home! Alan, I do not recall that getting that close to the rhinos was an option. I had Ed take a photo of me with the grazing rhinos as a backdrop, and then one of our fellow travelers came by to educate me as to how fast they really were! I was a bit more cautious after that! Such a great trip!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file