Jambo! who's packed for August 26 K&T safari?

Jambo! On a whim, thought I'd ask if anyone on the forum will be with us on our first African safari to K&T, leaving August 26? I've been getting good tips from some folks who have just returned as well as reading posts from experienced hands. Dennis and I from Raleigh can't wait to get going on this adventure. Asanti!

Comments

• Have a great trip! If you have Seth C o h e n as your TD, say hello.

FYI, we depart for Germany on Aug 17 and decided to take your advice and booked a walking tour with Frankfurt on Foot. For a few reasons we booked a private tour instead of the group tour.
  • My husband and I and another couple, all from the Houston area, are scheduled on this K & T safari, too!
    Looking forward to meeting everyone.
  • We are a group / family of 6 . 4 of us are coming from South Florida and the other 2 from New Jersey. We too are looking forward to meeting everyone and having an amazing trip. Any recommendations on bug spray?
  • Excellent! So glad to "meet" you both! Permethrin is the stuff you can wash your clothes in before you go, to protects against insects. It was recommended to us by the folks where we got all of our vaccines (wasn't that a lot of fun?) and we also have the famous DEET in a couple of strengths. Even though I'm usually a bug magnet, based on emails from several folks who have just returned, I'm hoping to be lucky. And I won't be wearing black, navy or white. There are many posts on this forum going back a bit, worth spending some time to check out I think. Am watching the weather and it seems we'll have decent temperatures; just hoping that the animals agree, too, and are happy to roam within my viewfinder.
  • edited August 2017
    mazalea wrote:
    Excellent! So glad to "meet" you both! Permethrin is the stuff you can wash your clothes in before you go, to protects against insects. It was recommended to us by the folks where we got all of our vaccines (wasn't that a lot of fun?) and we also have the famous DEET in a couple of strengths. Even though I'm usually a bug magnet, based on emails from several folks who have just returned, I'm hoping to be lucky. And I won't be wearing black, navy or white. There are many posts on this forum going back a bit, worth spending some time to check out I think. Am watching the weather and it seems we'll have decent temperatures; just hoping that the animals agree, too, and are happy to roam within my viewfinder.

Correction on Premethrin, you do not 'wash your clothes in it' You spray your clothes with it and let it dry, doing this outside wearing protective clothing and avoiding inhalation until it is dry. You do not need to wash the clothes afterwards. It lasts through quite a few washes, I can't remember how many off hand.
  • Barb and Phil from Toronto, Canada joining you on this adventure. Our adult son is also joining us. This is our second trip to Africa , the first one was to South Africa and we loved it. We so look forward to the new places this trip offers. We arrive 2 days pre trip so look forward to meeting all of you then!
  • DENNIS and I hope to be alert enough to do one of the 2-3 hour walks the hotel arranges on the morning our tour technically begins. Perhaps we'll bump in to you? I'm reading up -- so many books, so little time ! You'll have lots of information as you can compare the two safaris. We look forward to meeting you -- soon!
  • Is there a need for shorts on the trip? Beginning to think they might not be needed? I just spoke to someone who just returned from South Africa safari and he said it cool on the jeep trips. Not sure how much the weather differs with K&T
  • It's easy to look up the Tauck provided temperatures for your tour or go on one of the numerous weather apps that will give you current and historical norms for anywhere on the planet.
  • The Houston folks arrive Friday evening.
    When does everyone else arrive?
  • Hello Houston! Dennis and I arrive at the airport about 8 PM Friday; just checked the weather forecast - starry night skies when we arrive, and about 51 degrees, with 85 predicted for the next day's high. Still debating on weather to stuff a puffer jacket in the duffle along with our traveler's "pharmacy." :-) We're looking forward to meeting y'all.
  • edited August 2017
    Anyone watching the Safari Live migration programs on NatGeo on Friday nights? Last night's was excellent, showing a lone zebra just crossing the river with two or three crocs really near and ready to pounce, ah got to the other side, sigh of relief, then, pounce, a lion appeared from nowhere hiding on the lower bank, and oh dear, the zebra was caught. Also note, there is still rain on the Masai Mara at the moment. But that means lots of Wilderbeast!.
  • The Houston Folks, Arlene (me), Jerrel, Jean & Greg will also be arriving from Amsterdam on Friday evening at 8 pm, on KLM.
    Is that the same flight you are on?
    If so, we need to figure out a way to meet in the Amsterdam airport!

Please let us know.
  • KLM 567 leaving 10:25. Yes, must be the same! We're in seats 10K,H I think. We'll likely be wearing green or tan HaHA, and I might carry a Tauck duffle as my carry on. Safe travels - and be sure to pack the malaria pills. :-) Dennis and Maryanne
  • I figured it had to be the same flight.
    Arlene & Jerrel are in 16J & 16K.

We will definitely look for you to say hello.
  • NJ/South Fl group at JFK now! Flying through Qutar. We are all worried about the Houston group!! Did you make it out in advance of storm? Praying for all. As south FL folks we know and understand hurricanes

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file