Options

Voltage converter and adapters for Switzerland

Hello,

I am traveling to Switzerland in a few weeks. I have a "universal" travel converter for "150 countries" yet cannot address if the converter is okay for Switzerland. The adapter seems to be an A or J (which is the newer adapter). I can get a C or J locally, yet my concern is the converter for items such as cell phone, small camera, and most importantly, a hair curling iron. From Google search, it seems Switzerland stands out as being different in their use of the J converter. If someone has been to Switzerland, can you answer this question? Thanks in advance, Pat

Comments

• Options
    We used our standard European round 2 pin adaptor at the Swissotel in Basel to charge our smart phones and kindles just fine. Most hotels also have ones they can loan out if yours doesn't work.

Modern dual voltage electronics are fairly easy to solve with just an adaptor.

Heated hair appliances are a whole different issue. Lots about this on the internet with people saying even with a dual voltage appliance and adapters things went dangerously wrong. Safest bet is either don't use one or buy one locally when you arrive. We have a friend who plans to do that in Paris. Most hotels provide hairdryers.

You might get more info if you specify which tour you're on so those who have been on that one can help answer.
  • Options
    All of the hotels on the Crown Jewel tour had hair dryers that were adequate.

If the phone charges, camera battery chargers etc are of recent manufacture they will operate fine without a converter. All you need is the two pin adaptor. Check the device and it should tell you if it will accept U.S. and European voltage.

We took a couple of small power strips to reduce the number of adaptors and outlets needed. We charged two cell phones, an iPad and two camera battery chargers without problem.