extra day in Arusha

We will be on the July 15 Classic Safari but due to flight issues we have to fly in 2 days early
So one day we will be like zombies from the flight but the 2nd day we would like to do something
Don't want to be stupid so I am looking for ideas that are safe and interesting. We are not hikers but
like to do something rather than sit around. We will be staying at the Lake Duluti Serena Lodge.
Suggestions would greatly be appreciated

Comments

• Arusha National park safari just a half hour drive from the hotel. They can arrange it for you and a packed lunch. Very different from any of the other areas you will visit and you can also do a walking safari.
  • There are many posts on this topic in the K&T forum.
  • We arrived a day early for this safari and since it was a Saturday we went to the local market (with a guide). It was a wonderful experience and was less than a mile walk from our lodgings.
  • We arrived two days early. We arrived late the evening before and were also jet lagged so the first day we took it easy. But by midday we were restless so we teamed up with another couple and the hotel arranged a walking tour for us around the lake. It was interesting and easy going. We saw an array of birds and small creatures and wildlife and our first monkeys. It's supposed to be a two hour walk, but we took it real easy and stretched it to 3 hours. Then, that night at dinner, we got together with two other couples and arranged through the hotel for a safari the next day at Arusha Park. You'll be doing a lot of safaris, but this one is unique in that you can choose to do some of it, a couple of hours as a walking safari. There aren't any predators in Arusha Park, so you can walk around pretty freely. We got to walk right into the middle of a group of giraffes that was an amazing first intro to that species. We also saw many cape buffalo and wildebeest. There's also a very nice waterfall. I would highly recommend it if you have the extra day.
  • Merlin321 wrote:
    We arrived two days early. We arrived late the evening before and were also jet lagged so the first day we took it easy. But by midday we were restless so we teamed up with another couple and the hotel arranged a walking tour for us around the lake. It was interesting and easy going. We saw an array of birds and small creatures and wildlife and our first monkeys. It's supposed to be a two hour walk, but we took it real easy and stretched it to 3 hours. Then, that night at dinner, we got together with two other couples and arranged through the hotel for a safari the next day at Arusha Park. You'll be doing a lot of safaris, but this one is unique in that you can choose to do some of it, a couple of hours as a walking safari. There aren't any predators in Arusha Park, so you can walk around pretty freely. We got to walk right into the middle of a group of giraffes that was an amazing first intro to that species. We also saw many cape buffalo and wildebeest. There's also a very nice waterfall. I would highly recommend it if you have the extra day.

Did you do the Arusha tour recently? I have had a lot of trouble receiving a response from Serena Lake Duluti as to if this tour to Arusha Natl Park, offered thru the hotel, can be paid with credit card, or if USD is needed.
  • cb2labs wrote:
    Did you do the Arusha tour recently? I have had a lot of trouble receiving a response from Serena Lake Duluti as to if this tour to Arusha Natl Park, offered thru the hotel, can be paid with credit card, or if USD is needed.

We went in June 2015 and I doubt things have changed much, if at all (according to the 2016/2017 schedule, TZ park fees have not changed). The overall cost for a tour of Arusha National Park is made up of several different charges (see below), some of which 'can' be paid with credit, but others not-

Tour (safari vehicle and driver/guide)- paid in cash (USD) per vehicle/not per person. The reason for cash is likely because you may be sharing expenses with others, the hotel gets a cut, the driver pays the park vehicle fee, and shares with the tour company, etc. Our driver worked for Assilia who provided vehicles and drivers to Tauck. As we found out the next day, he was one of our regular Tauck - ask for Julius- he is a great guide.

Box lunch- paid to the hotel. Cash (or possibly put your hotel tab?)

Park entrance fee- paid at the entrance to the park with credit card (the email said VISA, but they may take MC, too) BUT ONLY IF the park's card reader/internet connection is working that day. If it isn't you must pay with cash!

Optional Walking Tour w/guide- guide (and armed guard) supplied by the Park. It is not your driver/guide who must wait with the vehicle. We didn't do the walking tour so don't know if this can be paid by credit or if cash is required. Be ready with cash.

There are a number of email addresses you will see on the Lake Duluti and Serena Hotel chain websites, some go to Serena corporate and not their Lake Duluti Hotel, so it may take a couple of days to get a response. My email was forwarded from corporate to this person who responded to me:

DMuhanika@serena.co.tz

"Dear Alan,

Thanks for your email to Serena.

Please see the below as per your request and also attached is the list of other activities offered.

Nature walk around Lake Duluti price is $ 12.00 PP

Arusha National Park – Car $ 200.00
    Park fees $ 45.00 PP to be paid by VISA card
    Picnic lunch from hotel $ 15.00 PP

With Regards,

Doreen."

According to the Tanzania National Parks (new) website (see link below), it appears there has been no change in fees. It also list the fee for a optional 1-4 hr walking tour as $20 PP.

http://www.tanzaniaparks.go.tz
  • edited November 2017
    Hey :) AlanS

Hello, question by any chance do you happen to remember how late you got back to the hotel , after the Arusha National Park tour? on the website it only says all day tour from 8:00 am but nothing else...
    I would love to do it, but I'm afraid I will be late to the welcoming cocktail-dinner start of the Tauck tour.
    Please advise if poss.
    Thanks, again.
  • edited November 2017
    mel0849 wrote:
    Hey :) AlanS

Hello, question by any chance do you happen to remember how late you got back to the hotel , after the Arusha National Park tour? on the website it only says all day tour from 8:00 am but nothing else...
    I would love to do it, but I'm afraid I will be late to the welcoming cocktail-dinner start of the Tauck tour.
    Please advise if poss.
    Thanks, again.

As best we remember, we arrived back at the Lake Duluti Hotel mid-late afternoon, in plenty of time to clean up for dinner on our own (dinner is not included on Day 1 which it is basically a travel and adjustment day. There are no planned activities.) Our TD sent everyone a welcome email about a month before. During/after dinner (7:30 pm?) on Day 1 we met him in the hotel lobby and he gave us additional info about the next morning's (Day 2) departure and activities. Some TDs leave information envelopes at the desk the day or night before. After an early breakfast and quick group photo on the lawn we started out on our best tour to date (#9 this April).

Our welcome dinner and reception, like that listed in the current itinerary, wasn't until the evening of Day 2 at the Ngorongoro Serena Hotel. Even if you don't get back from Arusha Nat'l Park until dinner time (due to traffic, flat tire, etc. : ) ), you won't miss any activities.
  • Excellent! I will contact the hotel to book the tour.
    I can wait , still have some time.
    Thanks AlanS. Have a great week :))
  • The hotel set just up with a driver to take us into Arusha for about 3-4 hours. There is plenty to see on the organized tour.. don't think you need to go to another game park on your own. It's an active tour, by the time we got to My. Kenya Safari club we needed another afternoon of down time.
  • We did this tour in 2012. You are going to LOVE it. Our flight arrived late in the evening andwe had the next day off, the day before the tour officially started. There were lots of us who arrived early. Our tour director, Eric Croft, gave us some options of what to do and he personally took a mini bus load (maybe 12 of us) to downtown Arusha. We went to the Cultural Heritage Centre. We saw lots of art and there were lots of souvenirs to buy. We ended up purchasing our best souvenirs here. Frankly, I wish I had bought more - best quality, lowest prices, best selection. I would highly recommend the carved ebony animals. Don't worry. You will see these animals. We had driver guides in Tanzania. These are HIGHLY educated people and will answer any and all questions. Truly, you are going to have a magnificent time. Enjoy every moment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file