November 27, 2017 Grand Australia and New Zealand

My husband and I are scheduled on the Nov. 27, 2017 Grand Australia and New Zealand tour. We are traveling from Chicago. Anyone else going on that tour? We are looking to spend the day of Nov. 27 on a private, customizable tour along the Great Ocean Road that would get us back to Melbourne in time for our first Tauck activity. Anyone interested in joining us?

Comments

• Jan511 wrote:
    My husband and I are scheduled on the Nov. 27, 2017 Grand Australia and New Zealand tour. We are traveling from Chicago. Anyone else going on that tour? We are looking to spend the day of Nov. 27 on a private, customizable tour along the Great Ocean Road that would get us back to Melbourne in time for our first Tauck activity. Anyone interested in joining us?

We are taking this tour in March 2018. Can you tell me which company you're contracting with to do the private part of your pre-tour travel? Are you going to do the Philip Island tour with the penguins? We're going three days ahead and wanted to get some ideas.

I hope you meet someone on your tour! I'm surprised the forum isn't more active.
    Best Wishes for a good trip,
    Janet
  • We did some research and decided on The Private Tour Guide. The company has received outstanding reviews on Trip Advisor. Simon is willing to customize a private Great Ocean Road tour for us to allow us to be back for the meet and greet. We are not yet sure about Phillips Island--thought we would wait and see if others on our tour might be interested, and then perhaps set it up through the concierge at the hotel for our free afternoon/evening. Hope this helps.
  • I am going in September this year and am also arriving about 3 days early - see previous topic in 'this forum). The concierge at the Langham recommended a company called Localing Melbourne who do private tours. I am doing a 4 hour Melbourne city tour the day after I arrive and the great ocean road the following day. They have been very responsive to emails, questions - I think they will be great. They will basically custom the day to your interests, time.

I'm also surprised these forums aren't busier????!
  • also look at Viator. We have used them several times in conjunction with Tauck tours, they are very good.
  • We booked our tour of the Great Ocean Road with The Private Tour Guide. Simon is willing to pick us up at 6:00 am and have us back by 5:00 pm so we can attend our Tauck meet and greet. The Private Tour Guide has gotten nothing but outstanding reviews on Trip Advisor, and is very responsive via email. I'm confident it will be a terrific experience.
  • Jan511 wrote:
    We booked our tour of the Great Ocean Road with The Private Tour Guide. Simon is willing to pick us up at 6:00 am and have us back by 5:00 pm so we can attend our Tauck meet and greet. The Private Tour Guide has gotten nothing but outstanding reviews on Trip Advisor, and is very responsive via email. I'm confident it will be a terrific experience.

Are you going to Phillip Island and staying to see the Little (fairy) penguins come ashore? I haven't been, so someone who has done this trip will need to confirm, but believe I believe the penguins don't come ashore until sunset or later. If you stay to see them, I can't see how you would make it back by 5:00. Phillip Island is 87 mi. from Melbourne.
  • Phillips Island is a different tour. If time permits, we may do that the next day on our free afternoon/evening, but we will wait and see.
  • Thanks for your comments everyone! We've got loads of time to research, but hope that those of you who go before us will share your experiences and offer advice where you can. In the meantime, happy planning and safe travels. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file