Just returned from this tour

Just returned from two incredible weeks in the Galapagos and Peru, any questions?

Comments

• We are leaving for this trip May 29th. Did you have to get any special vaccinations? Is it better to get some money exchanged at home rather than waiting for Peru? We are snow skiers and have some experience with altitude and have skied at 12,000 feet, however was this an issue with many people. Would rather be prepared. Would love to hear more about your recent experiences. We even have questions about what kind of luggage to take? Hope all was enjoyable for you.
  • We have a free day on May 2 before our Tauck tour begins and want to book a local tour which covers some of the Lima highlights not seen by Tauck.
    I was wondering how much time, if any, is available to see the Plaza de Armas (Mayor)?
    The Day 2 (May 3) itinerary says we will visit the San Pedro Church followed by a dinner at Casa Aliaga. Both locations are on opposite sides of the Plaza. Will we be walking/sightseeing thru the Plaza or zipped by bus around this highlight of Lima?
  • edited April 2017
    We are leaving for this trip May 29th. Did you have to get any special vaccinations? Is it better to get some money exchanged at home rather than waiting for Peru? We are snow skiers and have some experience with altitude and have skied at 12,000 feet, however was this an issue with many people. Would rather be prepared. Would love to hear more about your recent experiences. We even have questions about what kind of luggage to take? Hope all was enjoyable for you.

This was our fifth Tauck tour and was one of the best. What an interesting and exciting part of the world. The pictures that you might have seen do not do the sights justice. Prepare for an experience of a lifetime!

That said it is an extremely demanding adventure, lots of hiking and physical activity. However, this is what you signed up for! As our excellent guide said the first day, "This is not a vacation, it's a tour!"

The only vaccine I took was for Typhoid. My current one had just expired. Yellow Fever was still okay.

I went to the ATM at the airport in Lima I got $100 in local currency. Didn't need that much and we arrived a few days before our tour began. The currency in Ecuador is the US dollar.

Altitude was a minor problem for some people. I couldn't take the pills, an ingredient in them I happen to be allergic to. Our guide told us the side effects of the coca tea so I didn't take that either and had no problems. You must drink lots of water and avoid alcohol. You land in Cusco (12K ft) but immediately leave to go to Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley which is about 8K where no one had any problems.

Tauck will sent you a duffel bag before you leave for the night you go to Michu Picchu.due to space restrictions on the train. Don't pack too much, the only requirement on the Galapagos ship is dry clothing!!

Any questions you can email me at rogfam@optonline.net or use this forum.

Enjoy!
    Glenn

• HollyaDon wrote:
    We have a free day on May 2 before our Tauck tour begins and want to book a local tour which covers some of the Lima highlights not seen by Tauck.
    I was wondering how much time, if any, is available to see the Plaza de Armas (Mayor)?
    The Day 2 (May 3) itinerary says we will visit the San Pedro Church followed by a dinner at Casa Aliaga. Both locations are on opposite sides of the Plaza. Will we be walking/sightseeing thru the Plaza or zipped by bus around this highlight of Lima?

Hi,

We arrived a few days early and we were happy that we did. The hotel is beautiful in the Miraflores district of Lima. It is on a bluff overlooking the Pacific. All rooms are oceanview Jr. Suites. The pool/breakfast is on the roof. What a view!

Lima is a large city with terrible traffic. Quite a distance from the downtown area which we felt was somewhat disappointing. Not the beauty of Buenos Aires at all. There is little time to spend at the Plaza. The only time you are there is on day two where you will walk around on the way to the welcome dinner.

We did two independent tours and both were excellent.

Went to see the ancient ruins in Lima called Huaca Pucllana. Excellent. This is a wonderful restaurant at the site where a number of fellow Tauck travelers ate and recommend it highly. Buy you tickets there and there are tours in English regularly.

Too far to walk from the hotel however. Uber is available as well as taxis. We and the couple we were with took advantage of the car service of the hotel. They use Mercedes vehicles and charge only $12 USD for the car to anywhere in the area. This can be added to your room bill.

The other tour we did was to a large archeological site about 1 1/2 hours from the hotel called Pachacmac, and this too I recommend. Don't remember the name of the tour operator, it was arranged by the concierge at the hotel after we arrived.

Besides these tours, did a lot of walking around our part of Lima. Nothing is too far from the hotel.

Any questions you can email me at rogfam@optonline.net or use this forum.

Glenn
  • I'm going on this trip May 1. The What to Pack info from Tauck talks about shoes with ankle support -- which I take to mean hiking boots. Did you need hiking boots or any special shoes (other than "water shoes" for wet landings). Thanks. Sounds like you had a good time --- also good to know about taxi/Uber --- tho I'll be by myself, so always a tad cautious about that.
  • edited April 2017
    jar742 wrote:
    I'm going on this trip May 1. The What to Pack info from Tauck talks about shoes with ankle support -- which I take to mean hiking boots. Did you need hiking boots or any special shoes (other than "water shoes" for wet landings). Thanks. Sounds like you had a good time --- also good to know about taxi/Uber --- tho I'll be by myself, so always a tad cautious about that.

Only a few people used actual hiking boots. Most, including myself, used a good pair of walking shoes with a heavy sole. This applies also to your water shoes. don't wear flip flops. Lots of walking on lava rocks, especially near the landing sites. Then again, the guides were barefooted!!
    Also, lots of people used walking sticks, if you don't have them the ship will provide them.
    Even though we didn't use Uber told by many locals they were safe.
    Enjoy!
  • Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file