Classic Italy May 24, 2017

Flying out of Houston and arriving on the 23rd. Who else is going this date? Going in day early, looking for what to book for 24th during day before meeting up with tour, and staying extra day in Venice - also looking for info on what to plan. Looking forward to meeting more Tauck travelers. Jane & Dick

Comments

• I suggest the day after arrival take fast ferry to Capri and take boat tour around island they go to top for lunch. Venice explore out of tourist area, that is the real enchantment of Venice. I booked a foodie tour with Venice Bites run my former California transplants. Was a great way to tour Venice. Take in a concert. I saw one in old church not far from hotel. Picked up ticket for that day of, the foodie tour should not delay if interested (that is very popular).
  • Second the idea of a day trip to Capri. The fast ferry is only a ten minute walk and elevator ride from the hotel. You can buy the tickets down at the port dock. We took a private boat around the island of Capri, skipping the Blue Grotto which saved one or two hours of waiting for your turn into the grotto. The boat captain took us to several coves where you can see smaller versions of the blue water effect. Grab an open air taxi to the top of the island for smaller crowds and a variety of places to eat and shop. We left the hotel at 8:30 am returning on the 3:00 ferry just in time to freshen up and get to the arrival reception at the hotel.

We flew in from Houston as well and upon arrival in Sorrento we stayed active as long as we could after an early dinner. Felt relaxed and rested the next day for our Capri adventure.
  • edited February 2017
    We took the small groups version same time in 2016. There are a number of things to do- as Crackers mentioned there is Capri (Marina Grande, Anacapri, 'round island boat trip, Blue Grotto, chairlift to Mount Solara, etc.) or visit sites closer to/in Naples (Herculaneum, National Archeological Museum etc.) To get the most out of whatever you decide and not waste time trying to figure out how to get there, buying tickets, and actually getting there, I suggest you hire a guide (for Capri) or driver and guide for other places.

We arrived just after noon two days early so had almost two full days. After checking into our hotel and taking a power nap we explored and ate dinner in Sorrento- the area with shops, restaurants, and gelato shops is only a block from the hotel and can be explored on foot in an hour or two. On our first full day a driver and guide took us to the the sites in and near Naples I mentioned above and also the Flavian colosseum in Pozzuoli (suburb of Naples). While this colosseum is quite a bit smaller than its cousin in Rome, it is unique because the arena floor and area below are completely intact, and there are no crowds. The next day, a city guide met us at the hotel and walked us to the elevator that goes down to the harbor, purchased our tickets, rode with us on the ferry to Capri and stayed with us until we boarded the ferry back to Sorrento. He timed everything perfectly- we stepped off the high speed ferry and almost right on the 'round island tour boat, and didn't have to wait long for the Blue Grotto. We were out of energy about the time we boarded the ferry back to Sorrento. We arranged it so we would be back in plenty of time to freshen up before the welcome dinner. If you search the Classic Italy, small groups forum, you'll see a more detailed account of what we did and what others have done. We had a truly fantastic time before the start of the actual tour! Below are links to some of my posts- some have photos.

https://www.tauck.com/yaf/default.aspx?g=posts&m=32356#post32356

https://www.tauck.com/yaf/default.aspx?g=posts&m=32977#post32977

https://www.tauck.com/yaf/default.aspx?g=posts&m=32799#post32799

Venice- explore the islands of Murano, Burano, Torcello, Gugenheim museum, etc.

• edited February 2017
    My wife and I took this trip last year during the last couple weeks in May. We arrived a day early and had our travel agent set up a private tour of Capri through the concierge at the Hotel Excelsior Vittoria. The tour was set up as follows:

8:00am Meet your Private Guide at the concierge desk

Jet Boat to Capri

Took the around the Island Boat Trip

We were able to enter the Blue Gratto as the seas were favorable that day. My wife just loved this part of the tour.

Private Capri-Limousine to Anacapri

Chair lift to the top of the Island Monte Solara. This was great and we both enjoyed the lift ride.

Private Capri-Limousine down to Capri Town

Brief walking orientation to the Augustus Gardens

Some free time for strolling around and lunch.

Capri Island Funicular train down to Capri Port.

Hydrofoil back to Sorrento.

We had a great day as the weather cooperated and our guide was super. She kept us on task and budgeted our time wisely. I'm not certain we could have seen and done as much as we did without her. We arrived back to Sorrento around 4:30 or so and had plenty of time to get ready for the dinner at 6 pm. The trip to Capri is worth your time even if you don't do a tour.

This was our first trip to Europe and we had a great time on the Classic Italy Tour.
  • Thanks to all of you who have posted ideas for our trip. Very helpful.
    Anyone out there starting this trip on May 24, 2017?? Would like to connect with some fellow travelers.
  • Hi my husband and I will also be arriving on the 23rd. We will be flying out of JFK in New York. We are planning on going to Capri for the day on the 24th before the welcome reception.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file