Options

ON TOUR FLIGHTS

The tour director does not know what type or configuration of small planes will be used until we literally get to the airport and see them land. It can be two or three little planes depending on the number of people and the planes available. The planes land, you get on and go, it's great. It is so fun to be able to shake the hand of the pilot and chat to him/her before we fly. One girl pilot looked all of 16. On some of the airlines there is a bio of each pilot and it is interesting to read them. For the flight from Maun to Cape Town, the plane was a 38 seater.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Did anyone get to ride shot gun, up front with the pilot, like I did during one K&T flight? Our pilot, a very young Spaniard, was a real trip.

After departure and once were were at cruising altitude (10,000' MSL which was only about 5000' above the ground!) he connected an MP3 player to his headset and silently grooved to his tunes for the rest of the flight! All the while, (safely) flying the plane and constantly fiddling with the aircraft radio, radar, and navigation equipment, etc. - a bit ADHD or just a typical Millenial? :) At least he wasn't playing a video game! There was no air traffic control, so no one to talk to until he contacted the tower in Arusha.

IMG_1969r.jpg
  • Options
    No one flew with the pilot and there was at least one co pilot on one trip. On our Tanxzania tour I suggested the tall and delightful teenager on our tour could sit upfront when it looked like that seat was up for grabs because it had more leg room. Everyone enjoyed seeing his face. Ah, see you have the same look Alan. Will continue my review of trip soon, just having a jetlag moment right now.