Options

Questions for British

As promised (warned? :) ) I have some questions since this trip is high on my list.

• Did other arriving travelers also get transported by boat from the Livingstone waterfront to the Royal Livingstone?

• Since Sept is about the driest time, how was the flow over Victoria Falls, still picturesque? Was there any of the renowned billowing, mist that can drench even people wearing rain parkas on the walkway? Could you see the entire falls from the walkway?

• How about the water level in the Okavango delta (and Moremi area?)- were there still plenty of navigable channels to investigate by boat and makoro (dugout canoe)?

• Did the low water level result in the animals being more concentrated?

• Now that you have been on 4 African trips, could you please rank them by the quality and quantity of animal sightings?

• In view of another recent thread, what animals were present on the grounds of the Royal Livingstone?

• Did any animals enter the camps and come close to your tent during the day or night? (In my case it is something I actually look forward to!)

• You already said food was good at Camp Kalahari, can the same be said of Eagle Island and the others?

• Did you do the Meerkat experience? A Tauck traveler reported on another website that they had time the following morning, before heading for Maun, to return for a second brief encounter with the Meerkats. Was that an option on your tour?

• Did you fly from Maun non-stop to Cape Town or via Johannesburg?

• Since it is no longer listed, I assume the "walk with lions" encounter has officially been eliminated from the itinerary?

• Did you discover anything new and/or interesting to do in Cape Town this time?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2016
    AlanS wrote:
    As promised (warned? :) ) I have some questions since this trip is high on my list.

ok, well we have just arrived back from the Braai, I have had a lot of wine, but here goes, by the way, tonight was one of my favorite non safari parts of the tour!
    • Did other arriving travelers also get transported by boat from the Livingstone waterfront to the Royal Livingstone?

Yes, as far as I know
    • Since Sept is about the driest time, how was the flow over Victoria Falls, still picturesque? Was there any of the renowned billowing, mist that can drench even people wearing rain parkas on the walkway? Could you see the entire falls from the walkway?

Falls were low, but to us more interesting because you could see all the rocks underneath where they normally flow and we have seen the falls before with a far greater flow. Also, remember this year has not had much rain. There was no drenching mist, no need for umbrellas or parkas or ponchos. You could see entire falls from walkway. We also took a helicopter ride in our own time that flew through the canyon of the falls, above and the surrounding land. Excellent.
    • How about the water level in the Okavango delta (and Moremi area?)- were there still plenty of navigable channels to investigate by boat and makoro (dugout canoe)?

Water was getting low, we did the canoes but were forced to return earlier because we were being threatened by a lone hippo who was too near the boats. The guides were not successful in making him less interested in attacking us, so we turned back. With the rate of flow as it was this week, they expected to stop the boats in two weeks time.

• Did the low water level result in the animals being more concentrated?
    Yes

• Now that you have been on 4 African trips, could you please rank them by the quality and quantity of animal sightings?

Most animal sitings overall by far in K and T and Tanzania. More animal sitings in Zambia and Botswana than on elegant South Africa. But for nearness to animals, I think maybe in South Africa, we actually maybe overall got the closest to the animals.
    • In view of another recent thread, what animals were present on the grounds of the Royal Livingstone?

Zebra, Impala, Giraffes, Babooms, Vervet Monkeys, various birds, hippos.

• Did any animals enter the camps and come close to your tent during the day or night? (In my case it is something I actually look forward to!)

Yes, but that is not a good thing at all!!!! We, myself and husband I mean had a dangerous elephant encounter, a dangerous giraffe encounter and two frightening hippo encounters, I was very frightened. Also it happened with a couple of other guests. It is not fun to be in the pitch dark and see an elephant a couple of feet from you! We were quickly instructed to step back and go to shelter on the deck of the neighboring tent while he tried to distract him with some noise and then with a sausage tree fruit to fend him off--- not sure how that would have helped, but he then wandered off. Our neighbor in Camp Kalahari was marrroned in her tent with one of the camp guards for quite a while until a large male elephant moved away from her doorway.
    • You already said food was good at Camp Kalahari, can the same be said of Eagle Island and the others?

Best food at camps was at Khwai River lodge, that cook was amazing. Then Camp Kalahari, then Eagle River, but all were good. We liked the dinner food at Royal Livingstone. Ate at Nobu at One amd Only last night, excellent. Food and wine very cheap everywhere. Our wine at a casual lunch place today was $2-50 a glass and good.

• Did you do the Meerkat experience? A Tauck traveler reported on another website that they had time the following morning, before heading for Maun, to return for a second brief encounter with the Meerkats. Was that an option on your tour?

Excellent Meerkat encounter. No opportunity to do a second time. You must leave the camp at 6-15am to drive about 45 minutes to get to the meerkats, you have to be there as they emerge or it is too late and they will be out foraging.
    • Did you fly from Maun non-stop to Cape Town or via Johannesburg?

Straight to Cape Town, it's a new flight. About a 38 seater plane.
    • Since it is no longer listed, I assume the "walk with lions" encounter has officially been eliminated from the itinerary?

Walk with lions not done. Think I heard they went out of business. The rhino experience was super wonderful, nine rhinos, and I just remembered we had a bit of a fright with them because two had a bit of a fight and one started to chase the other in our direction!
    • Did you discover anything new and/or interesting to do in Cape Town this time?

Weather has been miserable today, we decided we were ready for some down time so strolled around the V and A area,
    As dis most others, it's a very tiring tour.
    Lots of surprises on this tour I can't tell you about so as not to spoil it, but some worth hundreds of dollars and others just spiritually profound.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Super!!!!!

Fantastic!! Thanks for the info!

As I said, I might be a bit nervous too, but would absolutely love the animals stopping by for a "visit" so to speak, especially in the daytime. I can't say I would like one to come crashing through the tent or attempting to climb in bed with me at night, however!

If you don't mind, how about a few more questions:

• Speaking of things in bed,

○ Other than mosquitoes, did you have any issues with creepy crawlers? I know the Meerkats dine on scorpions, so I know they can be found there, but did you have any unplanned encounters with them or any other large "bugs"?

○ Was it normal routine to shake out your shoes/boots before putting them on in the mornings?

• Climate:

○ Daytime temps in Botswana? High mid 80s' - low 90's as published or a bit cooler?

○ How cool were the nights? We like it cool when we sleep, so that is not a bad thing.

○ About what time in the evening did the temp drop and what time in the morning did it return to the warm range (i.e. when did you start removing layers)?

○ Cape Town daytime temps?

• Did you do the 15 min. or 30 min. helo flight? Was it with Batoka Sky? We've done helo flights (with doors off! over Waimea Canyon and Na Pali coast on Kauai) so I think I would like to live dangerously and try a Microlight flight.

In addition to a trip to Panama to visit our daughter, we did Classic Italy and Best of Ireland with Tauck this year and are off to Peru & Galápagos Islands in March. I've been told we are taking break after that, so I'm not sure when we will be able to go, but it sounds like we gotta do B,SA & Z!!

Thanks again, for all the great info!!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    AlanS wrote:
    Super!!!!!

Fantastic!! Thanks for the info!

As I said, I might be a bit nervous too, but would absolutely love the animals stopping by for a "visit" so to speak, especially in the daytime. I can't say I would like one to come crashing through the tent or attempting to climb in bed with me at night, however!

If you don't mind, how about a few more questions:

• Speaking of things in bed,

○ Other than mosquitoes, did you have any issues with creepy crawlers? I know the Meerkats dine on scorpions, so I know they can be found there, but did you have any unplanned encounters with them or any other large "bugs"?

Moths. Flies. The odd spider. One person reported a spider the size of a saucer. Not a big problem for anyone on tour in general.

○ Was it normal routine to shake out your shoes/boots before putting them on in the mornings?

No. There would be no scorpions, tents on stilts
    • Climate:

○ Daytime temps in Botswana? High mid 80s' - low 90's as published or a bit cooler?

Very hot, sorry, no idea of actual temps. Kalahari, very very hot

○ How cool were the nights? We like it cool when we sleep, so that is not a bad thing.

We like it cool, for us, not as cool as expected. All beds have very thick bedding, we hated that, slept with no clothing and just a sheet at times. Except for you no where!

○ About what time in the evening did the temp drop and what time in the morning did it return to the warm range (i.e. when did you start removing layers)?

Some places did not get as cool as we expected, Zambia did not get cool, but others had layers in the other Botswana locations. Mr B and I wore one layer some mornings. A few others wore low cut sleeveless tops even when it was suggested to cover up because of sun and thorns. Others huddled under provided parka/blankets. The tour director constantly mentioned that everyone perceives temperatures differently, that we were adults and it was ultimately up to each individual in what they wore.
    ○ Cape Town daytime temps?
    It's cold here.
    Rained on way back from Braai last night and rain expected today. During day yesterday, I wore medium thickness long sleeve t plus light non lined cotton jacket, light cotton scarf, only just warm enough, had another layer with me, but did not put it on.

• Did you do the 15 min. or 30 min. helo flight? Was it with Batoka Sky? We've done helo flights (with doors off! over Waimea Canyon and Na Pali coast on Kauai) so I think I would like to live dangerously and try a Microlight flight.

In Victoria Falls did 30 min ride but only paid for 20 min ride which was about $235, sorry no idea of company name, Mr B booked.
    Reason for extra time, one of the other two couples, not from our group by the way, paid for a 30 min flight, so the ticket person whispered to us that because there were no other people wanting that flight, we would get it free to fill the helicopter. There was a choice of four different flights over the falls. I think the 30 minute should have been $325 each

In addition to a trip to Panama to visit our daughter, we did Classic Italy and Best of Ireland with Tauck this year and are off to Peru & Galápagos Islands in March. I've been told we are taking break after that, so I'm not sure when we will be able to go, but it sounds like we gotta do B,SA & Z!!

Yes. Do it before you get any older before your body has mobility issues. Those European trips can wait. Look forward to your Galapagos report, we were there at same time of year, but go in December next year.
    Will do a bit more fact reporting about this trip when I can. Even Mr B says he wants to come here again, in the wet season to get the full picture, but we are glad we came now to see the contrast.

Thanks again, for all the great info!!
  • Options
    Thanks, again. Enjoy the remaining time (days?).