Options

How much cash to take?

We are leaving in a week for our Safari and are very excited. Can anyone give some guidelines on how much cash we should take? I understand most places take credit card, but also have heard that we should take some cash. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    You will need cash to tip the tour director, which is not included. You will need cash if you want to buy trinkets from the Massai. If you do any extra tours before the Tauck tours, eg. Arusha national Park, you might need cash if the credit card machine does not work at the entrance---which can happen. And you will need cash to tip the guide on that too. Other than that, the lodges take credit cards.
  • Options
    Yes, and the cash can be in USD. No need to exchange currency in either Kenya or Tanzania.

While it is included in the cost of the tour so not required, some people give their favorite driver a tip as well.
  • Options
    Just got home to PA Friday eve. Everyone takes US dollars. We went with about $400.
    I don't buy a lot but had fifty $1's, came home with $20. Five's n Ten's r good to take.
    The culture center in Arusha has REALLY good prices on ALL kinds of things. If I had it to do again I would have gone there on our 'resting' day rather than walking around the lake. It is n option for u to do. Other wise we just had about 1/2 hour later in the tour to visit the place.
    If u do the lake walk, take the tracking pole that is offered where u start the lake path.
    Expect to be mobbed by the venters at the Tanzania/Kenya border crossing. They will accost u on the T side then go over to the K side to try to sell u there. It was a hoot. Got 5 small carved animals for $10, Two 7" carved Masai people for $7.50, another friend got 10 necklaces for $10.
    Great trip.
    Enjoy!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file