luggage, what can we carry on transport?

My wife and I will be on the Switzerland, Jewel of Europe tour beginning Aug 11. We'll be packing our checked luggage in 25" cases. We also have 21" cases and "under the seat" bags. Will these be acceptable, so far as transportation once we arrive for the tour. Anyone else on that tour?

Comments

• 21 inch suitcases seem very big as carry on bags, those are the bags that should potentially fit under the seat especially if the overheads are full. I assume your other bag is the small personal item.
  • I take a 21" carry-on bag on the airplane flights, -- with enough clothes to get through a few days in case my checked luggage doesn't make it -- and then ask the Tour Director for another Tauck luggage tag, so both my checked garment bag and the carry-on are picked up in my room. It's never been a problem. (On my most recent trip, one couple carried their 21" bags to the bus, and the driver loaded them under the bus with the rest of the luggage. We only had 16 people on that trip, though I don't know whether it would work with a large group.)
  • I second the response from MCD. There has always been plenty of room under the coach on all the trips I have taken and all the tour directors have offered additional tags. One additional comment is that you pack an additional lightweight tote bag in your suitcase and fill with anything you may need during the day and on the bus.
    Have a wonderful time, I took this tour a few years ago and it was fabulous.
  • We've never had trouble getting extra baggage tags on their river cruises, but then there way fewer luggage evolutions on cruises than land tours.

We generally travel with 1 checked 25" bag and 1 carryon each - nothing as big as a 21"er. In the carryons we pack the must haves (documents, $, electronics, meds, jewelry) plus 1 change of clothes. If the first night is the welcome dinner its something dressy if not something comfortable for sight seeing. Also my swimsuit. I figure if the checked bags are delayed I can have the hotel launder what I flew in and charge it to the airline.

Part of this is adhering to Tauck guidelines and part of it is I don't enjoy corralling luggage more than necessary. You're in a strange airport trying to figure out where to go, need to be vigilant about pick pockets, etc etc. Simpler is better.

Like Golly Gee I also always pack a very light tote (single layer of fabric) or reusable shopping bag. In Paris I used it for shopping, then for the day we took the train to Lyon while the luggage went by truck I put what extras I wanted for the train ride, and then for duty free shopping at the end of the trip.

Everyone has their own priorities, but Tattooz1 I'd really rethink what you plan to take and see if you can down size a bit. You only need one dressy oufit - no one cares if you wear it multiple times. Can some of your items be hand washed enroute and reworn? Again, no one cares if you wear the same thing multiple times. Also, you can handcarry a jacket on the airplane and it doesn't count against your carryon limits.
  • I agree with the previous comments. The problem is semantics. We think of carry-on differently than the tour directors. For us, carry-on is what you take on the plane with your personal item. A lot of the Tauck directors use the term "hand carry." which is not the same. Their idea of "hand carry" is a bag that might contain a few items you might need during the day when you are on the bus-an umbrella, light jacket, camera, and the like. Your real carry on along with your normally checked bag will travel with you under the bus. As was mentioned, ask your director for a luggage tag so the bell hop will take both of those bags directly to your room. I have been on 11 Tauck trips and always asked for an extra luggage tag and never had a problem.
  • This is so complicated. I guess I am not fully noticing what other people are putting under the bus because I still am quite sure that Tauck intends us to bring---One big suitcase and one small 'carry-on' without wheels as is clear in their guidelines. I don't like to break rules, I guess my schooling and my past working career has made me like this. So we always have one reasonable sized suitcase and one small carry on bag, like a typical student book bag size, in fact, I think that is what my husband's bag was supposed to be when he bought it and mine is one of my Vera Bradley book bags. In these two items, we both carry large amounts of clothing, enough that we don't even have to wash any items on the tour, though we often wash a few smalls here and there. We are just fascinated what on earth other people pack and bring, it's not as if we have seen more than the odd person looking over glamorous, almost the contrary, some people can look quite messy during the day. We try to wear clothing that can often go from day to evening wear at a pinch, partly because sometimes there is no time to change for dinner. I have been complimented on what I an wearing in the past, so I assume I am on the right track. Often, we return home and haven't worn everything. A seasoned traveler travels light. The tour is only 11 days anyway. The poor bus driver deserves a big tip for lugging around all those extra bags. If forty people decide that they want to put an extra bag under the bus, that's a lot of space and time consuming to do, especially when you get to the next destination and you are waiting for your bag to appear in your room. I guess I try to be considerate towards other people who area slogging away when I am having an indulgent Tauck experience.
  • My suggestion is that when in doubt call Tauck. That is what I did after British and I had a long chat over luggage. I was told that for the tour I was taking that absolutely I could take a full size carry on bag and was to ask for an additional luggage tag which was what most of my fellow travellers did. The guideline, I believe, is to point out that a full size carry on will not fit in the overhead bin. Therefore if you require things during the day then a smaller bag is required.
  • Good point whw. The buses Tauck use have a shallow open shelf above your heads and usually have a foot rest attached to the seat in front of you making it very hard (if not impossible) to put a bag under it.

Like British, I try to wear something during the day that is comfortable but nice enough to wear to dinner with only minimal change - my shoes, or adding a wrap/scarf. Most daily excursions (at least on the European tours) are fairly gentle strolls through towns, castles etc. It's not like you need to dress for a 20 mile hike up a mountain.

We're seriously considering adding a 14 day land tour to a 14 day cruise next summer and I still won't take more luggage than I mentioned in my earlier post. Possibly less.

Another thing to consider, the hotels we've stayed at on Tauck tours have been very nice but the rooms are often fairly small. In both Paris and Amsterdam there was only room for 1 luggage stand. Small on the river cruise ships isn't a big deal because you can unpack into the closets and stow your luggage under the beds, but on a land tour where you're living out of your suitcase - arg!
  • Living out of a suitcase is indeed the pits, but for our last several tours I have been using zippered packing bags/cubes which I find really help my suitcase stay neat and organized. I pack like-items (shirts or underwear, etc.) in the same cube where they stay neatly folded and are easy to remove en masse when I want to select one or need to get to clothes underneath. I use the same for dirty clothes, though I co-mingle items.
  • Good suggestion Alan, although my badly communicated point was that your suitcase has to go on the floor in VERY limited floor space. I can't imagine where we would have put 4 roll around bags and 2 handcarry bags in our room at the Paris Intercontinental. The Sofitel in Amsterdam was only slightly better. Lovely hotels. Wonderful experience. Just small.
  • One of the advantages of travelling alone is that I never want for space. I too use the packing cubes. Once you use them I do not imagine anyone would ever travel without them.
  • Good suggestion Alan, although my badly communicated point was that your suitcase has to go on the floor in VERY limited floor space. I can't imagine where we would have put 4 roll around bags and 2 handcarry bags in our room at the Paris Intercontinental. The Sofitel in Amsterdam was only slightly better. Lovely hotels. Wonderful experience. Just small.

Yup, the (Tauck) buses, in Europe have no floor space and very little overhead space for much of anything.

We travel with just two rolling 25" checked bags (one each) that hold 99.5% of our clothes. I carry on a camera bag/man-purse that holds my DSLR camera, iPad, headphones, and only during the flights, a few extra items like magazines, trip documents/info folder, etc. My wife carries a purse and very small soft-sided bag for book/magazines/ipad, etc. and a very few articles of emergency clothing that go into the suitcase after the flight.

The only thing I ever carry on the bus is my man-purse, which sometimes now will include a stowable rain coat, Tilley hat, and maybe binoculars. My wife carries her purse and the very small soft-sided bag without the emergency clothes that easily stows in the bus overhead bin.

It is just so much easier having less baggage in airports, on planes, and on tour. I didn't even wear all the clothes I took on our last trip.
  • It must be in the British genes, British, because being from England we always stick to rules too. Like you, I cannot understand what, or indeed why, people take so much on tours. OK, one main case, then we just take a small back pack with overnight essentials, camera, documents, etc.. We have seen people taking what appear to be multiple main cases AND a large "carry-on". I just don't see the point. It just needs some careful thought beforehand with some planning to take just enough options/layers to service your time away, plus, perhaps and extra something in case of accidents, but taking several complete outfits seems unrealistic - not to mention the impact on the poor driver who manages the coach.
    ........................But then I am a man thus considered to be single minded and incapable of multi-tasking or complex thinking. My sincere advice after 7 Tauck Tours is just RELAX AND KEEP EVERYTHING AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE - honestly, do as you are told and Tauck ensures that you will have an experience to remember.
    Read all the guidelines you will get sent with your tickets - they have been created from wide experience - most importantly THEY WORK.
  • Just another basic thought...........the whole idea of "carry-on" can be translated as "wanted on voyage", so one has to wonder what is so important to lug around every day on the coach which could not be simply carried like extra layers or waterproof. I would wager that most if not all of the larger carry-ons I have seen get put on the coach in the morning and left there until the end of the day.
    As previously, keep it simple to get maximum flexibility and enjoyment.
  • I think that is where there is a difference in interpretation. The large carry ons go under the coach. The Tauck literature is simply pointing out that if there are things needed during the day a smaller bag is required such as AlanS' man purse.
  • Sorry whw, but I think you're interpretation is a little optimistic. Tauck quite clearly states "Due to space restrictions, we ask that you please limit your checked luggage to one suitcase per person weighing no more than 50 pounds (23 kg) and with overall dimensions (length + width + height) not exceeding 62 inches (158 cm)." And then goes on to explain that carryon bags for a bus are different from carryon bags on an airplane.

Yes, you are correct that there is generally enough room for more than the minimum, but what if the tour was sold out and everyone brought an extra bag that had to go under the bus?

Aside from space concerns, extra bags mean extra labor for the bellboys, bus drivers, TDs, etc. I don't know for sure how Tauck reimburses all these people but would worry that I'm putting more on them than they are being paid for. Sometimes you can give them a little extra yourself, but often, especially with bellboys, you don't always even see them.

With river cruises this is less of a problem since the luggage often goes by truck or broken into smaller groups so less of a problem. On a land tour its different.

I know we all worry than we won't have enough of the right clothing, etc for our tours. I for sure packed more dressy outfits for our first cruise than I needed. Then I worried I wouldn't be able to buy any souvenirs for fear of going over my luggage weigh limit with the airline. With 2 cruises under my belt I've gotten more and more creative on how to pare down my packing and still have a great tour.
  • I do not want to belabour this point too long, but that was how I read the literature initially and then was the only person without a full size carryon bag on my first tour. So as I suggested I called Tauck. I was told in no uncertain terms that I was allowed a full size carry on bag. Why do you think that the tour director is prepared to hand out additional luggage tags. What they do not want are two full sized checked bags. Also when I called I said " was that provided I took the bag to the coach myself" Again I was told absolutely not. Remember that Tauck is one of the most expensive coach tours out there. We are not expected to be roughing it. The tours where bags are restricted are clearly indicated - such as ones with on tour flights. Do not assume that your interpretation is the correct one. I strongly suggest that you call Tauck if you are in doubt and not assume that you are reading the guidelines correctly.
  • edited July 2016
    Whenever the 'luggage' question comes up, I have something to say, so I am sure to have been in conversation with whw before, if he says so. I have expressed the very same points that Claudia has mentioned before. I know for sure, that those who have travelled away from home a million times do learn that less is more without missing anything. Whw, try an experiment and work to the rule that you cannot under any circumstances take more than one bag, and see if you can pare down. It is possible, lighter clothing, mini this mini that, do I need this, do I need that. It can be done. When I have had to run thru an airport with ease to catch another flight after my first flight is delayed, I am so pleased I just have my small backpack to run with. We even caught a flight that the airline thought we would miss a couple of years ago, getting an apology email from them to say they were sorry we missed our flight. That's just another good reason for traveling with a small carry on.
    When we travel on a Tauck tour that is one of those where there are a lot of people with two bags to put under the coach, we have noticed that often the tour director alters the time so that we have to be down at the bus earlier to allow for this, and when that is an extra early start day, that is a pain. I also beg to different that we have been on Tauck tours where people have been asked to carry their second bag to the coach themselves, even though the tour director is happy to give them an extra tag for under the coach.
    But my main question now is, where is the original poster of the question, and have they found any thing of use here to make them decide what luggage to take.
  • British, Please do not assume that I do not know how to pack. I do not want to get into a discussion with you about this again. I only entered into this to indicate that when in doubt, CALL TAUCK and get the definitive answer. British and Claudia seem to want to impose their opinions on others. For me, the full size carry on is security since I travel alone. It gives me the safety of a few pieces in case my main bag is lost and for the price that I am paying I am entitled to that security. All I am saying to everyone out there. CALL TAUCK do not take the opinions of a few who decide to give their own points of few on here.
  • edited July 2016
    Is everyone right?

We have taken 6 Tauck land tours since the Summer of 2013 and think there may be one issue, not discussed- a slight (unpublished?) change or relaxation in Tauck's baggage policy.

Like others have mentioned, we also stand patiently in lines (que up as Brits would say) and don't park, stop, or stand our cars in the fire lane in front of stores like so many people in the US do these days, so we followed Tauck's written policy to the letter in 2013 (England, Scotland, Wales) (and still do). Our friends on this trip did not - in addition to their regular large luggage they brought along a good size carry-on piece (more that just a small rolling "bag"). Though he didn't say so, you could tell the TD was not thrilled. He did not offer them or anyone else extra luggage tags, and asked them to haul their carry-on to and from the bus at each hotel.

Since then it seems that our TD's have been more and more open about carry-ons. They now openly announce the availability and freely hand out extra luggage tags. I can't say for sure, but this may be a case where Tauck still wants to limit the number or doesn't really want to deal with carry-ons, so hasn't made a formal change to the policy, yet to be their usual accommodating self will readily accept them (especially when they know there will also be people like me and Richardb on the tour. : -) ) It may also be because we have taken mostly small group tours.

So, while the written policy may not have changed, it could be that the enforcement or implementation has relaxed.
  • Hard to say Alan. It may also depend on the specific trip, the TD, etc. The agents at Tauck are very nice and helpful, but they don't always know the full story. They told me something about the MS Inspire based on something in their database that turned out to be completely wrong. They try hard, but they aren't the ones in the field.

Our first cruise (French Waterways) which started in Paris at the Intercontinental, we did exactly as Tauck recommended with 1 checked piece and one smallish carry-on each. Put the luggage tags mailed to us on the checked bags. When we got the hotel almost the first thing the TD asked was whether we wanted extra tags. I thought he meant in case we had forgotten or lost the mailed ones. No, it was because the luggage went by truck to Lyon/the ship while we went by train. It was great to have it. We just kept back what we had to have for sight seeing that morning and the train ride. Since there was a screw up by TGV we were so grateful not to have to haul our carry-ons running for the train.

On the Rhine/Moselle, we assumed the same set up. There we almost had to beg the TDs for extra baggage tags. They clearly didn't want to hand out too many.

My husband and I are retired military so following the rules is pretty automatic, however, left to himself my husband would take a checked bag, as large a carry-on as the airline would allow, and a bag with 50 lbs of electronic gear. He's thinking about making sure he has everything he needs while I'm thinking of all the hassle shepherding that must stuff causes when things go wrong. Which of course they do. In addition to the TGV story above, coming back from Paris Air France broke off a back wheel on my spin around bag. Guess what, those suckers do not function well without both back wheels. I was ready to kill someone by the time I had wrestled it and my non wheeled carry-on for the rest of our return journey home. If I'd had a third piece to deal with someone might have gotten hurt. Just saying.

• edited July 2016
    I promised myself that I was not going to post about this after the last thread regarding this issue became so contentious. That said ..... I believe that Alan S. hit the nail totally on the head. No -- Tauck has not changed their written policy. After the arguing on the older thread -- I asked the Tour Directors on our last two tours -- both long term TDs with Tauck -- about rolling and larger carry ons being a problem. Both looked at me like I had two heads. On our last tour in March -- starting at the welcome dinner -- our TD asked time and time again if anybody wanted extra tags. This has been our experience on each every tour tour we have taken. On the last tour our TD emphasized that he would prefer that rolling and larger carryons be treated the same as the tagged luggage left in the room to be picked up and stored under the bus.

Because there were 4 internal flights and we sometimes had to check our own luggage at the airports -- I was really able to see exactly what luggage people brought. At least 85-90% had what would be considered non Tauck approved carryons. In fact there was one woman who was absolutely furious that she had followed the advice she read on the forum and did not bring what she had planned to. Interesting -- Alan S. -- that your TD made your friend handle his own carry on. While of course anything can happen with any individual TD -- we have found the same situation with rolling carryons on every tour we have taken -- both in terms of the number of them -- and in terms of the TD asking repeatedly if anybody wanted extra tags. (I asked a friend who just booked her 21st Tauck tour -- each time with a 21" rolling carry on -- if she ever had a problem and she said no.) When it is imperative that people pack correctly for a trip -- safaris for example -- Tauck makes the regulations eminently clear. I should also mention that we do not take small group tours and have never experienced even the slightest problem with all of the bags fitting under the bus. Believe me -- I am not advocating overpacking -- just voicing what has been our experience over the course of numerous tours.
  • Thanx for breaking your promise Judy, I think you added some valuable information. Kind of like what people really wear vs how Tauck says/used to say they should dress.

Part of my personal problem with many of the wheeled carry-on bags is what you do with them when you're dealing with them and the wheeled checked bag. My non-wheeled tote (it's called a boarding bag) has a sleeve on the back that fits over the handles of my checked bag. Most of the 21" carry-ons I've seen don't. Actually found a bag for my husband at a thrift store - a wheeled laptop bag designed for business travel with room for a computer, files, and 1-2 nights worth of clothing. It also has the same sleeve as my bag. It's like the luggage people assume you're only going to travel with the 21" bag and a personal item.

Sadly the later group seems to be growing within the US thanx to the cheapskate airlines. On flights within the US I check one bag and take a small carry-on with as little as possible. I always figure I can find a Target if my suitcase doesn't show. I've had people try to force me to put my small bag under the seat in front of me so someone else can fit their big carry-on in the overhead. Why do I have to give up my leg room so someone else isn't inconvenienced by checking luggage? Or worse, what happened to a friend of mine. She found her seat on a flight and someone else had their bag under the seat in front of my friend. She asked the flight attendant whose it was and about that time a lady across the aisle looked up from her magazine and said "oh that's mine, you can move it if you want". My friend did, moved it right into the center aisle.

So I guess the bottom line to all of this is do whatever you're comfortable with. If you don't mind herding a bunch of luggage and Tauck doesn't have clearer guidance, go for it.

• My husband and I are retired military so following the rules is pretty automatic, however, left to himself my husband would take a checked bag, as large a carry-on as the airline would allow, and a bag with 50 lbs of electronic gear.

Retired Navy, but my wife thinks following the rules is more a function of OCD Unlike your husband I have been taking less and less camera/electronic gear each trip- a plug adapter, power strip, DSLR w/only one lens- 16-300mm, GoPro, iPad (I used to take a laptop) and a few pwr modules and cords.
  • Thank you Judy. Since none of you actually know me, my friends would be rolling on the floor if they thought I was someone who did not follow the rules. Hence why I took a non practical carry on on my first Tauck tour. The point I am trying to make is British and Claudia think they know the rules. Respectively, I do not believe that you do which is why I suggest that Tauck should be called when in doubt. I was told in no uncertain terms to take a wheeled carry on. I follow rules.
  • Thanks, Claudia. Until Tauck chooses to state a detailed policy and enforce it -- I think your last sentence is the bottom line to this whole issue. Right now some people choose to follow what they perceive to be Tauck's rules while others choose to take larger or roll on carryons. I would imagine that if and when this becomes a problem it will be addressed by Tauck. Until then -- perhaps it is time to put this to rest.
  • I think a few people are now hitting the nail on the head, the written information remains the same, but more of the tour directors are being helpful and giving out extra luggage tags. It could be that our first trip with Tauck was about 15 or 16 years ago, something like that. In those days, no tour director suggested giving out extra luggage tags, unless you lost one or it fell to bits. Or, you were asked to carry your extra bag to the bus and the driver would put it on for you, then you had to wait for the bag to come off the bus. Maybe the newer Tauck customers have not experienced this any more. Either way, we find it so much easier in our own experience to take less luggage, we too had a wheel disappear off one bag and we were so glad we only had a small backpack and could use both hands to lug the wheel-less case. The people who are posting here and advocating taking less are those who have also learned it is a great relief to rid yourself of all the extra stuff you don't really need. My other concern is having a wheeled carry on taken off me at the gate, with things I do want in my control, like my meds and camera or iPad. A small bag that fits under my seat could only be taken away from me on an extremely small plane.
    A reminder to all posting on e forum that we partake with an agreement to agree to disagree on subjects and that nothing is a substitute for calling Tauck
  • AlanS wrote:
    Retired Navy, but my wife thinks following the rules is more a function of OCD Unlike your husband I have been taking less and less camera/electronic gear each trip- a plug adapter, power strip, DSLR w/only one lens- 16-300mm, GoPro, iPad (I used to take a laptop) and a few pwr modules and cords.

We're both retired Navy.
  • edited July 2016
    We're both retired Navy.

USNA > Naval Aviation (NFO- EA-6B) > Pentagon and other staff tours > retired after 22.5 > HS math teacher (loooong 3 yrs) > DoD (DIA)
  • USAF enl active then guard > university > USN commission > SOSUS > NPS Monterey > 10 yrs + DC (Pentagon, Navy Yard, Crystal City and the Annex) plus 3 yrs with SOCOM in Tampa

Mr Sails was a science teacher 15 yrs then a Navy Supply Off - kind of how we ended up on our first Tauck cruise

Now we live out west and just spend time on our hobbies and travel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file