Options

Vaccinations

Advised against yellow fever vaccination optional if coming from Tanzania to Kenya. A friend had a terrible reaction.

Comments

• Options
    We could have opted out but chose to get the vaccination. If you opt out, I believe you need an official letter stating that. We entered Tanzania from Nairobi and had to show our vaccination record before we could even enter the terminal. By the way, we did not have any adverse reaction to the shots. I guess the decision should be between you and your doctor/travel clinic.
  • Options
    Mitten wrote:
    Advised against yellow fever vaccination optional if coming from Tanzania to Kenya. A friend had a terrible reaction.

I called Tauck and they said the tour goes to the Southern Part of Kenya and the shot is usually advised for the North Part of Kenya. (this on CDC page as well)

My doctor advised having Hepatitis A and malaria pills and typhoid immunization (completed 8 days before travel) Also taking Cipro with me in case of emergency.

Visas arrived today. Starting to count down the days to September 3rd tour!
  • Options
    I'd like to ask Several questions here, first, Mitten, what exactly was the 'bad' reaction your friend had to the Yellow fever vaccine? I spent over twenty years working in hospitals, you wouldn't believe how many people who called up to tell me they were bleeding and it turned out they lost just a teaspoon of blood. I want facts before I make up my mind to be concerned.
    Carr, if you arrive in Kenya and the authorities ask you to give proof of a Yellow fever vaccine and they will not admit you, are you prepared to get back on a plane and fly home? We were not asked to show our certificate in Kenya, but there have been people on this forum in the past who have been asked to show their certificate. I bet these guys get fed up of Americans and their Dr letters.
    I'd really like to hear from anyone who has been denied entry or had any other experiences from authorities or seen anything going on at the borders about this dilemma.
    It's almost ten years since I had my Yellow fever vaccine and I have been to several counties that require it. Some countries now accept the one vaccine for life, others require ten year boosters. I've researched the Yellow fever vaccine thoroughly reading all the latest research and any risks to people over 65 are highly exaggerated when you actually read the literature. At present I am in the middle of my oral typhoid vaccine regimen, it's the first time I had it this way, I've had the injections in the past, but the oral lasts five years and I already have three booked Tauck tours where typhoid vaccine protection is a good idea. So far, so good, I'm taking it as directed.
    So I looking forward to my Zambia, Botswana and S A tour in September knowing I have done everything to protect myself and allow me to get into the countries without any possible confrontations at the borders.
  • Options
    I believe that Kenya does not require vaccination if you are traveling FROM Tanzania.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    CAR wrote:
    I believe that Kenya does not require vaccination if you are traveling FROM Tanzania.

I posted some of this awhile ago on a similar thread -

Remember, you will be dealing with local officials, not medical experts, in a third world country who may or may not be very proficient reading or understanding English. "Doctorz Paperz? We don't want no steenkeen paperz. No stamp, no entry." That is a bit extreme, but who knows for certain if they will follow their own or WHO guidelines on any given day or shift? Are you willing to bet on it?

I had a reaction to the Yellow Fever short- a bit of soreness in the muscle at the injection site which was gone in a day- no big deal. If you dig into the literature, there is a small, specific group of people (of all ages) and conditions where a Yellow Fever shot is contraindicated, but for normal folks it is mainly those who cannot tolerate egg-based serums - a travel doc will know or can test you.

CDC says, Yellow Fever "Illness ranges in severity from a self-limited febrile illness (feverish, hot, burning, flushed, sweating) to severe liver disease with bleeding." "Reactions to yellow fever vaccine are generally mild and include headaches, muscle aches, and low-grade fevers." "There have been reports of rare but serious events following yellow fever vaccination." "Talk to your healthcare provider or travel health clinic provider . . ."

It only takes one bite from an infected mosquito and those buggers know no borders. Are you sure there are no skeeters hitching a ride in a traveler's bonnet or hand bag?
  • Options
    Why is the issue of a yellow fever vaccination so confusing? Tauck arranges the Kenya & Tanzania safari tour numerous times each year. The only important questions are (1) whether you need to show proof of this vaccination when entering Tanzania and (2) same for Kenya. For those of you who have taken the Kenya and Tanzania tour in the past year or so, can you share your experience.

1. If you are traveling from the United States to Tanzania (through Europe) and entering Tanzania at Kilimanjaro airport, do you need to show a certification of having had the yellow fever vaccine? (yes, no or chance -- some people did/others didn't)

2. When leaving Tanzania and entering into Kenya (as part of the Tauck tour), do you need to show a certification of having had the yellow fever vaccine? (yes, no or chance).

I am just looking for simple answers.
  • Options
    October 2013...We arrived at the Arusha airport on a small plane after an overnight in Nairobi. They stopped us at the terminal door and asked to see our certificates before they would allow us to enter the building. I'm not sure if it was just us or anyone else. Nothing crossing from Tanzinia to Kenya, but the certificates were in our passports, so they could have looked at them. Frankly, at that time I was more worried about a possible visa glitch than the yellow fever question...longggg story.
  • Options
    Tauck make it very clear that it is up to the customer to be responsible for getting vaccination information. I think that is perfectly acceptable in view of the constant changes of recommendation from all the countries they visit. Tauck can't possibly advise anyone without knowing a full medical record and then having a qualified doctor on the staff to look at everyone's medical records and make personal recommendations.
    So mimiko, there is no simple answer, you have to do the legwork for this one. Even if you go on an independent trip, to pretty much anywhere, you would have to do the same. Big example, thinking of going to Miaml right now?
  • Options
    To joycesw, thank you for your response.

To British, if you had read my question correctly you would have understood that I am not looking for any recommendations re whether to get the vaccine. I am simply asking about people's experiences entering into Tanzania and Kenya. Thank you for being non-responsive and unhelpful.
  • Options
    Does not change my answer Mimiko, being that I was not asked on my K and T tour or my Tanzania tour, but others were. So you still have to decide whether to take a chance on that or not. Worst case senario, being denied entry or being given the choice to have the vaccination then and there and waiting the required length of time before it becomes effective, I can't recall how many days that is. Worst worse case, there is an outbreak while you are there. Best case senario, they let you in anyway even if you cannot show a certificate.
  • Options
    The problem laying this on Tauck or even asking other travelers is they have no control over whether officials in another ask for documents or not. Just like customs issues, TSA banned items, prescription medications, etc. Tauck could say - yes you'll have to have something then you get there and no one asks you for it. A traveler may not be asked for something on their tour (or forget that they were asked) but you do. You do your research, plan and protect yourself as best you can and hope that it all works out.
  • Options
    CARCAR
    edited August 2016
    I am traveling on the September 3rd tour to Kenya and Tanzania ( very excited) Our tour director sent an email intoducing himself. I immediately wrote back and asked about the yellow fever vaccination. ( We are not getting ) The tour director said "sometimes" beaurocrats do ask at the Kenya border which sounded worrisome. He said not to worry so I am not going to worry.
  • Options
    I am fascinated to here that a tour director emailed you for introduction before the tour. We have never had that happen on any of our tours. So I await to see if this is a new thing on our upcoming tour. We have had several tours when the director has literally been a last minute replacement for the intended one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file