Options

Just got home...hope this helps

I just got home from the Kenya and Tanzania trip. AMAZING! I thought I would share a few things that I would have liked to have seen all in one place.

Hotels:
All provided the following: shampoo, lotion, soap, hairdryer, bathrobes.
Not all provided conditioner.
All had wi-fi. some places the strength was better than others

Clothes for gamedrives:
I packed 4 pairs of pants (I got them all from Athleta and Columbia...i had black, olive green, and grey), t-shirts, and long sleeved button downs.
I did not pay much attention to what colors we were "supposed" to wear or not wear.
I wore sneakers for all of the game drives. Many people on on tour did. I never felt like I needed hiking shoes or hiking boots. Sneakers were fine.
On the days I wore a hat, it was a baseball hat, not a safari hat. It worked for me and I never wished I had a different hat.

Other packing notes:
I packed a few hoodies and a puffy coat. I was happy to have them all. It was chilly in the morning.
I packed a bandana and used it more to keep my hair out of my face.
I wish I had packed a few more non-gamedrive clothes. Towards the end of the trip, there are a few afternoons with nothing planned where there is plenty of time to shower and change before dinner. At both the Four Season and the Fairmont properties I wished I had a sundress or maxi skirt to wear. I felt a little under dressed in my safari clothes.

Other tidbits:
The spa at the Four Season was fantastic. I got a massage and my mom got a facial. We were both very happy
I got ice in my cocktails. i never had any issues.
The roads are very bumpy...i wore nothing but sports bras on the drives
There was one couple on our trip whose luggage was delayed a day. when they did receive it, things had been stolen out of the there suitcases. plan accordingly.
Both my husband and I packed enough to get through half of the trip before we needed laundry done. I admit I was a little nervous to send our clothes since so much needed to be washed on delicate and/or dried on low. We had no issues at all. Everything came back the same size and in great condition!

It was an absolutely amazing trip! Hope everyone loves it!

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the info, Brook. We are looking forward to our trip in September and this will come in very handy.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Most of the info that Brook mentioned is provided on the tour page if you go to the 'Before You Go section'
    I feel a baseball cap is not the ideal type of hat, it does not provide enough protection from the harsh sun, plus, unless you use a clip on your shirt and hat, it could easily blow off. From experience, the tsetse flies are definitely attracted to the blues and blacks.
    None game drive clothing. When we took the K and T tour, a while ago, we did not stay at the Four Seasons or The Mount Kenya Club, so we did not need any dress up clothes, there were no free days, just more game drives. I think the itinerary changed due to some clients asking for downtime.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I don't know, I wore my Tilley but my wife wore a ball cap and it seemed to work just fine for her- no sun burn or even the slightest amount of pink.

As to tsetse flies- I don't think anyone encountered any during our safari- maybe it was the time of year, but a few folks tempted fate by wearing dark colors with no problem- you pays your price and takes your chance.

Safari clothes fit right in at the Four Seasons- everyone there is on safari. The tour has changed since 2015- you spend one less day/night at the Mount Kenya Safari Club which regularly has a few guests who are not on safari and may wear something more dressy in the evening, but you'll be fine if you wear them as long as they aren't soiled. Besides, the second night at Mt Kenya you dine "in the bush." Gone is the down-time, unless you skip a scheduled activity- Ol Pajeta, William Holden Wildlife Education Center, or the spinners and weavers.

The 2016 and 2017 departures have an extra day in the Masai Mara to make up for the one less day at Mount Kenya. I haven't counted to see if there is a difference in the total number game drives, but that it is hard to do anyway- you really can't base it on the game drives mentioned in the published itinerary- you need to consider the trip from Ngorongoro Crater to the Serengeti as a game drive- the portion inside the park, especially near the Four Seasons was a full blown game drive on our tour, but not listed in the itinerary as such. Though much shorter, the same goes for the trip from the Masai Mara airstrip to the Fairmont Mara Safari Camp. There is a free afternoon there, but your TD might arrange an add-on game drive for those interested- ours did and a fair number of people availed themselves of the opportunity to see animals again.

I wish they would forget about nighttime game drives- we didn't see anything special, nothing we didn't see in the day time. We only had one night-vision scope per vehicle. Unless you are the person with the scope or happen to be looking where the driver is shining the spotlight (which can also affect the night-vision scope), you will not see a thing. Photography is all but impossible. And it can get downright chilly!

Thanks Brook! Now all we need is for folks to learn how to use this forum and do searches. Between the "Before You Go" and posts like yours, most questions people ask have already been answered!
  • Options
    Night safari..... Alan, if you do the South Africa tour, don't decide not to do the night safaris, we saw so much on ours from small colorful gecko type lizards, yes really, spotted by our 'tracker' to leopards walking beside our vehicle that is apparently quite a common thing at night.... The animals use the roads to walk along because it is easier for them, like it is for us to walk along a clear road than through the bush. These reserves are private, so are fenced and the drivers and their trackers know exactly what animals they have inside their reserve and know where they hang out, the tracker sits on a small seat at the very front of the vehicle, so their is an additional pair of experienced eyes. This is just a teaser for you to take tha SA tour.
  • Options
    British wrote:
    Night safari..... Alan, if you do the South Africa tour, don't decide not to do the night safaris, we saw so much on ours from small colorful gecko type lizards, yes really, spotted by our 'tracker' to leopards walking beside our vehicle that is apparently quite a common thing at night.... The animals use the roads to walk along because it is easier for them, like it is for us to walk along a clear road than through the bush. These reserves are private, so are fenced and the drivers and their trackers know exactly what animals they have inside their reserve and know where they hang out, the tracker sits on a small seat at the very front of the vehicle, so their is an additional pair of experienced eyes. This is just a teaser for you to take tha SA tour.

On K&T our main, truly night game drive was in Ol Pajeta, a small preserve near the town of Nanyuki (Mount Kenya). It was extremely disappointing from an animal sighting standpoint.

Between traditional game drives (1 nighttime) and waterborne safaris, you should have plenty of opportunities for animal sightings. If you include the train ride/dinner, walking excursion, and the visit to the meerkats, I count 11 "game drives." I see "walk with lions" is no longer on the B,SA & Z itinerary. I wonder if Tauck has a substitute or surprise? Is "walk with rhinos" new? I will be interested in your review.

p.s. Are you going to spend the night on the Pans? Will you wear your usual "sleeping attire?" : )
  • Options
    Sleeping attire! Of course, more room in the suitcase for day clothes!
  • Options
    Dottie D wrote:
    Thanks for the info, Brook. We are looking forward to our trip in September and this will come in very handy.

Dottie, when are you going in September? We will be on the September 10th K&T Safari.
  • Options
    Thank you Brook... Very informative. My husband and I will be on the Sep 17 tour. Our passports are with the visa broker. This will be our 4th Tauck Africa trip. Maybe they will come out with a new itinerary. Or if Tanzania is spectacular we will do it again with the Zanzibar part. Cannot get enough of Africa going Tauck style. Anyone else that reads this going on the Sep 17 tour? We live in St. Petersburg, FL...
  • Options
    Hi Romy,

We are going the week after you, on the September 17 trip and are just making our final payment. This is our third Tauck trip but first to Africa. Hope you have a great adventure. We are getting very excited. I have been through the previous forum posts and appreciate all the great tips.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for all the info. I started reading the posts a year ago an August 20, 2016 is finally approaching!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    AlanS & British - you crack me up!

Lots of great advice from all! Brook - thanks for taking the time to share.

People in my group in Tanzania Aug/2014 lost hats that did not have a strap (pain in the neck to stop and retrieve). I admit that I felt odd (tourist-y) getting the Tiley hat - but was happy to have it once there. To each his own! (I will be lucky enough to use it in SA soon!)

And tsetse flies were real and really attracted to the dark colors - but were not a problem every day... we had one bad drive where even our guide was desperately trying to avoid bites. But like home, I am sure there are all sorts of conditions that effect things like that.

Happy Trails!
  • Options
    On the last day of the K&T tour. Only one Tsetse fly sighting in the Serengetti during the Four Seasons stay. Very dependent on time of year and rains, according to our driver. Some baseball caps, a lot of black and dark clothing for some women in the evening., but no one was uncomfortable any where in their safari outfits. Agree the caps can blow off in an instant, and difficult if not impossible to retrieve. About half of our group went on the night game drive and were rewarded with an aardvark sighting and entire prides of lions out hunting, among other animals. The rest of us enjoyed and needed the extra downtime.
  • Options
    I've read that we should wear neutral colors, and black attracts Tsetse flies, but is it ok if I were a red fleece jacket?
  • Options
    I've never seen anyone wearing red. Some say that the animals are frightened of red because that is the color the Massai wear. Others say some animals are color blind. I would avoid red. I do know so,some who was on a South Africa tour and they were not allowed to wear red.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info...I guess its back to the stores for a jacket!
  • Options
    Trixie wrote:
    Thank you Brook... Very informative. My husband and I will be on the Sep 17 tour. Our passports are with the visa broker. This will be our 4th Tauck Africa trip. Maybe they will come out with a new itinerary. Or if Tanzania is spectacular we will do it again with the Zanzibar part. Cannot get enough of Africa going Tauck style. Anyone else that reads this going on the Sep 17 tour? We live in St. Petersburg, FL...

We will be on the September 20th!
  • Options
    PatV wrote:
    We will be on the September 20th!

Pat, this thread is over a year old. You might want to see if there is a more current one or start a new one.
  • Options
    So from what I am gathering here, it doesn't sound like there is much need for shorts? Sounds like the daily trips are more on the cooler side and shorts may not cut it?
  • Options
    Yes, chilly morning and evening. Avoiding shorts reduces the amount of sunscreen and deet you require and keeps you young and skin cancer free.
  • Options
    AlanS wrote:
    "I wish they would forget about nighttime game drives- we didn't see anything special, nothing we didn't see in the day time. We only had one night-vision scope per vehicle. Unless you are the person with the scope or happen to be looking where the driver is shining the spotlight (which can also affect the night-vision scope), you will not see a thing. Photography is all but impossible."

We had a great filming experience at night. We were filming video using a Sony Handycam. It has a "night" switch. When it is used, the resulting video is green tinted monochrome, but the images are very clear and it was like using a night scope. We got video footage of the lions mating, hippos on the march, and other random prey animals who should have been hiding from the predators. We had wanted to film a kill, but no such luck. (We still produced two packed DVDs of footage on this remarkable trip.)

The gadgets that Tauck provides are limited and disappointing if you are not the one playing with them. But it did not matter to us because we got such wonderful footage during our night game drive. We would not miss night game drives.
  • Options
    We had great night game drives.
    I wish Tauck would drop the BBC EARTH publicity, it is really overrated and we have taken more than one. Just having it makes people feel disappointed. I can't believe I am saying this about the BBC, BUT IT REALLY IS THE WAY Tauck has been marketing it as something so special. In Costa Rica, there was a wonderful How to Use Binoculars lesson from one of the local guides that was nothing to do with the BBC. Those who were inexperienced found it extremely helpful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file