Altitude issues?

Did anyone have difficulties with the altitude in Switzerland?

Comments

• Which attitude? It is changing every meter, quarter, village, region and city. What are you looking for?
  • edited June 2016
    http://www.higherpeak.com/altitudechart.html

Here are charts that show altitudes and effective oxygen percentages in feet and meters.

It is used for athletes who train for higher altitude competition.

A couple of quick suggestions. (I lived at over 6,000 ft. altitude and loved going into the mountains at 12,00-14,000 ft. in Colorado, worked with athletes competing and training at altitude, and had many visitors. I used this for them to prepare for the changes in altitude at the house and for trips to the Rocky Mountains for skiing.)

1. a couple of weeks before you go, start to hydrate. I don't know the humidity percentages where you are going, but it us usually low in the mountain.

2. You'll think you aren't sweating, but you are and it is evaporating quickly. Hydration is necessary before you arrive and during your stay. I am talking WATER, not coffee, tea, or alcohol. You can carefully drink those in moderation, but water is the most important. I know the jury is out on drinks like Gatorade (I never use them or suggest anyone using them) and they are high in sugar. You're call.

3. If you are thirsty, dizzy, or have a headache then you haven't hydrated enough. Tauck provides plenty of water on all of their tours, at least in my experience. If someone offers you water, take it. (My grandmother used to say, "If someone offers you a breath mint...take it.") Same idea. If you have to pay for water, it is well worth it. When you are on the move, it is easy to forget the hydration part of the day.

Sounds like a great trip....you don't want to fight headaches and dizziness during this experience.
  • Thanks ndvb-

I know about drinking a lot of water, we went to Machu Picchu and La Paz on Tauck's trip a couple of years ago. There people were offered coca tea and candies and some people chewed the coca leaves. Some people had prescriptions for Diamox, which I had but did not take based on the recommendation of our Tauck director. I was basically okay until the last morning. I had refrained from all alcohol and ate small meals for dinner, but the last night at the farewell dinner I ate a lot and drank Pisco sours. The next morning I thought I would die. It felt like I had an elephant on my chest. I sat with an oxygen tank (all the hotels have them) and eventually felt better, but that was scary. If we are in a high altitude in Switzerland, I will drink a lot of water but avoid alcohol and big dinners. I learned my lesson.

I was just curious whether people who had been on this trip were affected by the altitude.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file