Can you use Iphones in Japan

I am getting ready for my Essence of Japan trip next week. I have read that most US cell phones cannot be used in Japan. Has anyone used their Iphone in Japan? I have an Iphone 6 plus using ATT with an international plan.

Comments

• Yes' you will be able to use your phone, but for most of the time it will not be practical to use it to talk because of the time differences and Tauck not allowing cell phone use while the group is together. One person here however, said they found it easy to call when they regularly woke up at 4 am with jet lag,but let's hope you do not suffer that. You can of course use FaceTime for free and on an iPad. If we communicate to home we generally use email and then we can do that when we have time without trying to figure out what time it is in the US.
  • Make sure you add international with your cell phone company and check charges. Texting is usually better in the plan and facetime or Skype with free wifi is usually a better option.

When I was in Hawaii I called to check on my mom every morning at my breakfast her lunch. You just need to figure what is best for time difference and what is going on back home.
  • edited May 2016
    Last time we had an international plan with AT and T it was in January and we were in England, it was $30 for that month, that included calls at a $ a minute plus texts and data. We were not on vacation but visiting family and needed to be able to make calls. I do not generally get a plan when we are on a Tauck tour, my family does not expect calls, but we do regularly email them with news of our adventures and we have Face-timed them a couple of times and texted, all via free wifi on my iPad. Before cell phones we managed, they always had our itinerary and where we were staying should they need to contact us in an emergency. Have a great time in Japan. Occasionally my husband has had to call in to work but he has a separate phone for that and the company pays the bill.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file