Options

Verizon cell service

I am travelling with a friend and we were given diametrically opposite answers from Verizon to the question, "Does Verizon provide cell coverage in Tanzania and Kenya?" We got one "yes" and one "no." Do Verizon phones (Apple 6 series) work on this tour? If so, how well? Is it worth having one?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2016
    You can get an international plan from Verizon and use your iPhone 6 for talk and text in both countries. In general, you won't have 3G or 4G LTE service. Technically, Verizon itself doesn't provide service in either country- it is provided by a local provider through agreement with Verizon.

If you go to international calling on the Verizon website you'll find a place (Plan your Trip/Interactive Trip Planner) where you can enter the countries where you want service and the device you'll be using and it will tell you what service plans are available and the cost for each. There is also a coverage chart on one of the pages.

There are locations where service is marginal and times when your fellow travelers won't want you to use, or you won't want to use, your phone. If you coordinate a time, it is free and often just as good to use the Wifi capability of your phone if so equipped, to Skype at the hotels. In some locations, due to bandwidth limitations, Skype may be voice only.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    While there are times when in an emergency it's good to have some sort of communication, our friends and family do not expect phone calls from us when we are on vacation, which only a few years ago would be the norm any way. They do look forward to my blog whenever I have time to send it. Because of the unreliable wifi connections in some locations, I write in the 'Notes' app and then cutandpaste it in an email when I have connection. There are occasional times when we would prefer and need to make a call because of family illness or business but most of the time it is impractical because of the time differences between the countries and the very good Tauck rule that does not allow the making of calls when the group is together. I have never seen anyone trying to make a call while in a group on any of our tours and this of course includes while on the bus and thank goodness for that. A relative was on a non Tauck safari tour several years ago and was driven to distraction by people in her jeep being on the phone while viewing the wildlife. I feel the time differences are the biggest barrier to phone communication because even if you have service, it's mostly the wrong time unless you want to wake someone up. Or you are with the Tauck group.
    When you can make a call, we used FaceTime for free, most memorably for us in India, it was very late on a Weekend night and we were in bed trying to stay awake because we had to get up at midnight to leave for the airport, we called our son and his wife and they were also having a lie in after a rough night with our granddaughter, it worked well, we were both cuddled in bed but talking to each other thousands of miles apart.. Another way we used recently was 'Whatsapp' I used it for the first time to call a friend in England, she uses it all the time to keep in touch with her daughter who is traveling all around the world at the moment. I don't believe I even turned my phone on in Africa, but I sent emails as described above most days via my mini iPad. I use my blog as a diary for the tour and incorporate parts of it in my photo books too. It's a great way to enrich photos and my feelings about what I was seeing or doing at the time.
    So as to your question, is it worth having a phone? Depends on what your aim is, only you know what you thought you might want to use it for. You could use it for photos but it could easily be jogged out of your hand on a bumpy safari more easily than a camera round your neck or with a wrist band, so bare that in mind. We have been away when we have had a very ill parent, we trust that our relatives would communicate with us via Tauck headquarters if there was a real need or call the hotel we are staying at. I find my iPad much more useful and do free FaceTime on that, you don't need a phone plan on an iPad, just have to have working. Wifi.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Use Messenger, WhatsApp, Viber all calls are FREE!! as long as you have WIFI.
    I used it all the time, Asia, Europe , Caribbean , United Emirates etc... great service.
  • Options
    While in Kenya & Tanzania, I used the app Viber for Texting, sending pictures, or emailing, FREE. If calls are needed, you can call for a fee. It worked beautifully for me. However, you will need to go to the main hotel lobby for Internet access. Oh, by the way, this is a fabulous trip!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file