Recommended Reading for your visit to Israel

We found that Insight Guides book, ISRAEL, seventh edition, 2012, is one of the most thorough and interesting guides on this country - historically, culturally, traveling, politically, etc. Easy to read and colorful. The section on Jerusalem is particularly thorough. It really invites you to explore the Old City, street by street and quarter by quarter.

Also, MY PROMISED LAND by Ari Shavit, 2013, ISBN 978-0-385-52170-3 if you want to order it at a bookstore.
It's described as capturing "...the essence and beating heart of the Middle East." "He draws on interviews, historical documents, private diaries and letters, as well as his own family's story...." I came away with the opinion that while he fully recognizes the contradictions and complexities on this highly complex subject, he naturally, speaks from his own background. He is an Israeli journalist. and a columnist for HAARETZ, a newspaper you'll very likely read when you're there.

Comments

• My sister has lived in Israel since 1976. My husband asked her to recommend a really good book on Israel. My Promised Land is exactly what she recommended.
  • Before you go to Masada: a must is THE DOVEKEEPERS, by Alice Hoffman.

And Tauck has a very thorough Reading List for "before you go."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file