Options

Trip Cancellation, Insurance Claim?

Due to unforeseen issues we had to cancel our 5 Sep Best of Ireland small group tour today, just two days before we were scheduled to leave! : (

We purchased the Tauck Guest Protection plan so Tauck is processing our refund. I knew the cost of the protection Plan would not be refundable, however I just received an email from Tauck telling me about their DreamSaver policy:

". . . . we are pleased to inform you that we are holding the amount equal to your non-refundable cancellation fee or guest protection plan in a special Tauck DreamSaver account which can be used for any future Tauck trip.

Your DreamSaver dollars are non-refundable and cannot be transferred to another person, nor can they be used to cover cancellation penalties. However, they may be applied to any Tauck trip you choose when your new journey is booked and secured with a deposit. When you are ready to make your future travel plans, simply mention to our reservation sales counselor (or your travel agent) that you have a DreamSaver account and we will apply the amount above to your new reservation."

The account is only good for one year so I will apply it to the cost of a second attempt at the Best of Ireland tour I just re-booked for next year this time. I didn't know about this program, but it sure is darn nice of Tauck!!!

Question: I requested claim forms from AON/Berkley so I can recover the cost of our cancelled flights (not booked through Tauck). Question for anyone who has had to cancel and file a claim- Are there any gotchas and do you have any tips to make the claims process easier and quicker?

Comments

• Options
    We had to cancel Spain and Portugal due to a medical reason. The insurance reimbursement process worked well -- but did take time. We had also made our plane reservations ourselves and were reimbursed for those as well.

Just a FYI about the Dreamsaver account. It applies only to land tours. If cruises are canceled the insurance is forfeited. That said -- I think it's amazing that it exists at all!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about the cancellation -- great share on the Dreamsaver account!