Options

Danube Westbound on Oct.28th,2015

I'm a single traveling on the Danube tour, Oct 28th, 2015 . I get into Budapest Oct.26th. Looking for others that will be on that same tour.

Comments

• Options
    We will be on the same tour, arriving in Budapest on the 27th of October. Would be pleased to connect. laura and Herbert
  • Options
    Hi Laura and Herbert,
    I also arrive on the 27th. Had to recheck my itinerary. I live in Southwest Florida. Looking forward to meeting you both!!
    Brenda
  • Options
    Hi Brenda, glad to meet you. We are beginning to "tune in" to the upcoming trip. Getting "antsy." Starting to think about packing list, etc. Read others' suggestions like bringing plugs for the ship sinks, and one of those towels in which you wrap your just-washed clothes to quickly absorb moisture and facilitate faster drying. We'll pass along other tips as we get them. We have a couple of friends who are visiting the cities on our itinerary, but without the Dannube cruise, and they will be sending us some info, too.
  • Options
    Thanks, this is good to know!!! I'm excited as well, so looking forward for this adventure to begin!!
  • Options
    Brenda, check out some good suggestions listed under the "Prague to Budapest" forum listed above under Active discussions, especially page 1 which has some good laundry tips. Laura
  • Options
    Hello Brenda, Herbert and Laura,

We, too, arrive in Budapest on Oct. 27th. It would be nice to get a group together for dinner that evening. Brenda: We live in Bonita Springs, FL; and, we are flying Delta from Ft. Myers into Atlanta on the afternoon of the 26th. Are you leaving from the same airport?

We are also getting our list together as well for our clothes, etc. I purchased a universal adapter for the hotel rooms to charge my cell phone. My travel agent advised that it is too difficult to arrange cell service; but, if you leave your smart phone on airplane mode, you can receive emails and take photos with your camera. (According to the Tauck guide book, the boat has 110 voltage, as well as 220.

Thanks for the tips on the laundry. I am packing a travel size of laundry detergent. (Everything goes into plastic bags).

I did inquire about the lower water levels on the Danube River. My understanding is that, thus far, everything should be fine. We are looking forward to our trip! Yvonne and Dave Socha

• Options
    Hi Yvonne and Dave, we look forward to meeting you in Budapest. Wd definitely be interested in having dinner together with you two and Brenda and whoever else checks in. Bought on Amazon, thanks to tip of previous traveler, the chamois cloth used to help absorb moisture of freshly washed clothes, as well as sink plug with small packets of Woolite and bought neatest set of 4 folding hangers. Obviously the less we pack, (and we like to travel light as possible) the more we'll need to do some laundry en route. Checked ten day temp forecast in Bud and shows highs 55 and lows 40. Our temps in NY are cooling off rapidly too. The days are flying by....laura and Herb
  • Options
    Thanks for the idea on the Woolite packets. We are trying to keep our packing to a minimum, too. The more, the merrier for dinner that night! We look forward to meeting you as well. Yvonne and Dave
  • Options
    Just got back from the Sep. 28 trip. Joined the ship a short way up river from Budapest due to shallow water, but made it all the way to Regensberg. Great trip. Pack what you need. Laundry is expensive and other than undies you will not have time. Very busy fast moving trip. This is not a 'pack light' trip, although we frequently do ... pack light. Bring warm clothes, layers, it was below freezing when we left Prague ... gloves if you get cold like my wife. I frequently wore a leather jacket, and sometimes a turtle neck sweater. We had great weather, only got rained on once or twice and had many sunny days. Most people 'dressed' for the welcome aboard, farewell, and the two palace dinners. Good shoes! We did walk five or six miles per day. I will not give away the surprises ... You will love this trip! We had a Cat. 3 and I will not say anything more about that ... we don't want too much competition for our next trip.
  • Options
    Sealord, thanks for sharing your experiences. Info very helpful.
  • Options
    Thank you, Sealord for your comments. It is always helpful to have a few words of wisdom from someone who has just been there. We can't control the water levels on the Danube, so we will all have to go with the flow (pun intended)!

We had friends who had taken this trip two years ago; and, they suggested we book the largest room within our budget.

I am starting to lay out my clothes today. Everytime we take a trip, I have to explain to my husband why I need more shoes than he does. Yes, I am bringing band aids in case we get blisters. I have learned from experience on that point! Yvonne Socha

• Options
    Hi Yvonne and Dave,
    I live in Cape Coral, and will be flying out of Fort Myers on Delta to Atlanta and then to Amsterdam to Budapest, my guess is we are on the same flights. So I will meet you at the airport!! Wonderful!! Looking forward to meeting you!!
    Brenda
  • Options
    Thank you Sealord for the great info!!!
  • Options
    Hi Brenda,

Our travel agent just gave us an update on some time changes to our flight. We leave Monday from RSW on Delta flight 1458 to Atlanta at 1:25 P.M. Then we take Delta to Amsterdam - flight 0072 - then Amsterdam to Budapest. I will look for you at the airport in Ft. Myers at our gate.

While we love traveling, it sure is a lot of work to get ready!!! It will be a wonderful experience for all of us. Yvonne Socha

• Options
    My husband and I are going on this trip in April, 2016, however, I have just read a review of an outbreak of sickness, (apparently 70% of passengers and crew), and wondered what action Tauck have taken to try to ensure this does not happen again?

The review is on the Blue Danube forum dated September 2015 if anyone is interested in reading it.
  • Options
    My husband and I are going on this trip in April, 2016, however, I have just read a review of an outbreak of sickness, (apparently 70% of passengers and crew), and wondered what action Tauck have taken to try to ensure this does not happen again?

The review is on the Blue Danube forum dated September 2015 if anyone is interested in reading it.

We had a sickness outbreak on our Sep. 28 trip on the Savor, but there is no evidence that the source was on the ship. We were together for several eating events in Budapest, and Vienna before the outbreak, and we were all on tour buses together. It was likely not food poisoning, because the symptoms developed rather slowly at first. The ship does have hand sanitizers in several places. It was a funny kind of outbreak cuz it rarely affected both people in a stateroom. My wife became ill and I did not. We had traveling companions and she got sick, but he did not. It seemed to affect more women than men. The ship closed the public bathrooms, cleaned like crazy, and encouraged everyone to wash their hands frequently. The problem did not significantly reduce my wife's enjoyment of this wonderful trip. You get a bunch of people in close proximity and these things can happen. The ship was kept spotlessly clean, and in our case the cruise director told me none of the crew were sick other than one of the other Tauck directors.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file