bills for Bolivian visa

Any previous Empire of the Incas know if the bills should only be less than a certain denomination? Like only less than $50's or do they take $100 bills? Thanks. Going on the Sept. 30th trip.

Comments

• Hi desizgned,

The official currency in Ecuador is the U.S. dollar (USD); the currency in Peru is the Nuevo Sol (PEN). The Nuevo Sol exchange rate floats in relation to the U.S. dollar. Cash and traveler's checks may be exchanged at any bank, the airport, at most hotels or at exchange houses, or casas de cambio. The airport will give you the official rate of exchange, the same as banks, and a small fee is usually charged for changing travelers’ checks. Many restaurants, hotels and shops in the main cities accept dollars for payment, so it is a good idea to bring U.S. dollars in small denominations for local shopping. Travelers’ checks are accepted in the larger cities, however, there is often a fee charged to cash them. ATMs are available in the cities, and major credit cards are accepted in tourist areas and at large hotels although a commission is often charged. Hotels are unable to exchange large amounts of currency.
    Shipboard accounts aboard Isabela II may be paid by U.S. dollars, Visa, MasterCard or American Express. There is no foreign exchange facility on the ship.
    To obtain the most current exchange rates for all national currencies, you may want to check your local newspaper or log on to www.oanda.com

I hope this helps!

-Tim
  • Thanks however I travel extensively abroad and my question since we are getting the visa in Bolivia through Tauck is will they accept $50's and $100 bills or must they be smaller $20 bills? Sorry I was not clear enough.
  • I think the $20 bill is the most useful to use anywhere, I am not sure I would want to flaunt such large bills, even in the U.S. You can get funny looks if you pull out a $100 bill in some places. If it turns out to be a fake it's a lot for anyone to lose especially if it used to make a much cheaper purchase.
    Travelers checks, I haven't seen anyone use a travelers check for many a year. It must be at least twenty years since I used one.
  • Sorry, I can't help with your answer, but, since part of your question was in the subject line, I think most have missed it. As I read it, your question is:

What currency and bill denominations are required to purchase a Bolivian visa upon arrival?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file