Options

Day Trips / Activities Prior to Start of Tour

Has anyone booked a day trip to Arusha National Park through the Serena Lake Duluti Hotel? We arrive a day before our tour and are interested in what things might be available to fill the free day. Can the concierge arrange activities? Can these activities be booked the same day, meaning could we arrange a trip to Arusha National Park on the same day we want to take the day trip?

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Hi, I think it wouLd depend how many people ask to do the tour at the last minute if you want to chance waiting until the actual day. Or how many people have actually booked way in advance. We were asked to make a decision to give the guide time to rent the safari vehicle for the day as soon as we asked on arrival, to pick it up and bring it to the hotel that next morning. Try asking as soon as you check in to the hotel. My personal experience is that you need a minimum number of hours to do the tour justice and it is a one way circuit. Also allow yourselves some down time to recover from jet lag, We arrived and had two nights extra stay at the beginning of the tour which helped us to be fresh and raring to go by the start of the tour. Youhave some very early pre dawn starts even though there is little exercise on the tour.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    We did this on our June K&T. Though it may not have been necessary, I made reservations a month or two before we left using the email contact info on the Lake Duluti Serena website. We arrived at Kilimanjaro a little after noon the day prior to the start of K&T. By the time we got to the hotel and got settled it was after 2:00 PM. I checked with the desk about our reservation and I got the impression from the duty manager that he didn't know about it because he asked who I made it with. After I showed him my email and the hotel's reply, he called to verify (remake?) the arrangements. You can't prove it by me that my email was actually acted on.

I had arranged, through this forum, for two other travelers to join us. They arrived about 10:00 PM. We paid the hotel for the vehicle and driver- $200 USD cash (total, not ea.) We also ordered box lunches which were added to our hotel room charges.

The hotel used Assilia, the same outfitter used by Tauck. In fact the Toyota Landcruiser safari vehicle had Tauck printed on the door and the driver/guide was one of the Tauck drivers we would see again the following day and for the next week. The next morning the vehicle and driver arrived at the agreed-upon time. Our lunches were loaded, we boarded, and were off to the park. It was about a 20 -30 minute drive to the park (part way back towards the airport) on an asphalt surfaced road. At the park entrance you must go into the office, fill out a form, and pay- $45 ea. to enter. You can pay with VISA (if the credit card machine is working) or cash. There was a new guy at the desk who was a bit slow and would have been overwhelmed if there had been a dozen or so people waiting.

The credit card machine worked, so after about 20-30 min. the four of us re-boarded the Toyota and proceeded into the park. Like in the Serengeti, the vehicle must stay on the designated rough, dirt road (trail.) The driver is your guide and will know where to go and everything about the animals you will see. He will point out things that you never would have seen otherwise. If there is something you want to know or something specific you want to see, just ask. If you need more time for a photo or want the driver to move the vehicle for a better photo, just ask. We had seen a few giraffe but wanted to see more of them, just closer- a bit later the guide asked what it was we had wanted to see, so we repeated our request. Just then we rounded a corner and came upon a herd of giraffe just yards away from the vehicle!

We got a bit of a late start, my fault, so our guide talked us out of going on the walk, which is an option- you need a guide from the park to do that. Some people have done that- 2 hours in the vehicle, 2 hour walk, and another two hours in the vehicle. We left the park in enough time to meet with our Tauck TD at Lake Duluti before dinner. We tipped or driver.

As our TD said, you won't see anything you won't see on the tour, but it is a great warm-up.

IMG_15881.jpg
  • Options
    Hi Sam,

In the lobby of the Serena Lodge, there's an Activities Desk and bulletin board across from the Reception Desk. There you will find information about activities that are available during your stay. Times are flexible; simply go to the Activities Desk or reception before 10 AM to discuss with the guide what to do and when. If no one is there, ask at Reception. The list below gives you an idea of what is usually offered:

Market Tour-Wednesdays & Saturdays only
    1 and 1/2 hours
    This is not a tourist market; it's a real market for the locals. A great cultural experience for you and within walking distance of the lodge! They sell clothes, food, charcoal, cloth, etc. Don't go on your own; instead go with a guide from the lodge. The guide will help you negotiate prices if you would like to buy something, answer questions and ask permission if you would like to take photographs.

Nature Walk
    1 hour
    Easy walk on the lodge property
    Experienced guide gives explanations of flora, fauna, birds, etc....

Lake Duluti Hike
    2 hours
    Medium to Difficult walk around Lake Duluti
    You are not allowed to go alone
    You will see a variety of birds.

Canoe Ride
    1 and 1/2 hours
    Guided canoe ride on Lake Duluti

Alan -- Thanks for the little review of the trip! Sounds like an incredible experience!

-Tim
  • Options
    Alan and Tim - Thanks for the great information. It definitely lets me know what to expect. I posed a question to our Tour Director, who has contacted us prior to our trip - a nice touch, about activities. He recommended the Market Tour. I'll have to see if our travel goes per plan and see how I and my three travel companions feel when we arrive. We could end up doing any or none of the suggestions, but thanks again for the great detailed responses.

Sam
  • Options
    We arrived at Lake Duluti a day early, a Friday. Saturday we did the trip to the market in the morning and the hike around the lake in the afternoon. Decided against the National Park as we were going on so many other game drives and it required more advanced planning. Found it to be the right decision. It was nice to get some exercise walking to the market and then the hike but we were not overstressed. Home from hike in plenty of time to clean up and meet up with Tauck for dinner.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file