Options

Cash or Credit Card

Hi Everyone! We are headed on this safari Sept 12th, and are wondering what we should be planning for cash vs credit card? We are arriving a day early and plan to get a guide to go to the lake, does that require cash? Any thoughts on what we may need for the entire trip moneywise would be very helpful. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2015
    We took cash for the TD tip, tour of Arusha National Park and a tip for the guide, and a few hundred additional- the craft people at the Masai village didn't take credit cards but dollars were fine. We did not convert any money into local currency in either Tanzania or Kenya. We used credit cards for all purchases (pre-tour) meals at Lake Duluti, souvenirs, etc. at hotels, Tanzania Cultural Center, Spinners and Weavers. Unfortunately I had to spend our tip money on a minor (but expensive) medical treatment at Lake Duluti. It was supposed to be added to our hotel charges, but the Dr. wanted cash in USD, so we tipped our TD with a check.

We didn't take the lake tour, but there are posts in the K&T forum that discuss payment.
  • Options
    I took about $1000 in USD but only spent about $400, which was for day early meals and souvenirs. Oh, and the cash for tour director. I took a canoe trip around the lake on my day of arrival but it was only about $20. I know some people go to,the Arusha Park and hopefully, they will weigh in on the cost, if that is something you may want to do but there really isn't anything to spend money on.
  • Options
    I took about $1000 in USD but only spent about $400, which was for day early meals and souvenirs. Oh, and the cash for tour director. I took a canoe trip around the lake on my day of arrival but it was only about $20. I know some people go to,the Arusha Park and hopefully, they will weigh in on the cost, if that is something you may want to do but there really isn't anything to spend money on.

Hey Sue,

Did you ever get the email I sent through TripAdvisor? I had some questions about Chiawa Camp that I thought better handled that way instead of on a Tauck forum.
  • Options
    No Alan, I didn't see it...you can contact me at oceans52@msn.com and I would be more than happy to talk to you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file