Options

"Bumpiness"

Hi there. I am really wanting to take this trip. My husband is concerned about how rough the ride gets when you are out in the safari vehicles. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks so much.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2015
    We did K&T this past June.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news . . . .

First, with the exception of possibly three short trips by bus, usually airport to hotel, you travel everywhere else in the safari vehicles which are Toyota Landcruisers outfitted with seats for six people (plus driver and shotgun).

Second, with the exception of the road from the airport to Arusha town and the town itself, the road from Arusha to Lake Manyara, Arusha to the Kenyan border, and Nairobi, all roads were gravel/dirt. The long (approx 100 km) drive to the Serengeti was on a a dirt/gravel road with limited grading, a lot of washboard surface, some washouts, and, believe it or not, speed bumps. Speed bumps, some bone jarring, were everywhere- on both paved and unpaved roads. Game drive "trails" (not roads!) in the Serengeti were very rough and bumpy, especially when fording streams and arroyos- I don't know how the drivers negotiated some of them. There were wet and dry pot holes everywhere- sometimes there was a parallel "trail" that the driver could take to avoid an especially large pot hole, but in the Serengeti the drivers were prohibited from leaving the designated trail so you had to slow to a crawl and just hang on! The game drive "trails" in the Masai Mara were even worse but the drivers could deviate and would sometimes "make their own trails." The vehicle seats had padding, but not a lot!

If you can handle this, it is truly a fantastic trip- a trip of a lifetime!

I'm not a doctor, but I don't think this is a trip for someone with a bad back- spinal, neck, vertibrae, sciatica, etc. issues so please check with your family doctor or orthopedist.

IMG_2521w.jpg

• Options
    I think Alan has covered this very well. Just for fun, it reminds me of a new 'Medical' condition that we coined when we were on the Kenya and Tanzania tour. The roads around Arusha had not been paved by the generous Cihinese back then.....those roads were brand new when we were in Tanzania last year. The road that we took to the Kenyann border was the absolute worst road we have ever travelled on. The road was sort of paved, but it looked and felt as if someone had strewn large rocks all over it, hence we said it created Safari Boob' for me, I was being jiggled about so severely, I spent the whole journey with my arms firmly across my chest to protect myself from permanent damage. If that is indication how someone might travel with a bad back, you get the picture. We so laughed at the video my husband took when we got home.ah, just love Africa!
  • Options
    Drivers are amazing on this trip. They do take the dips and divits along the way very, very slowly, yet the ride is still bumpy. There were moments we applauded the skills of our drivers, and even one or two times we were amazed the vehicle did not tip over, or get stuck in mud....but I also think time of year speaks to the road condition. I went as the rains were ending. Roads were being graded and were not as rutted from a season of having been driven over. As they say, "Timing is everything." However, those with serious conditions, as stated in a previous post, would certainly want to discuss the jiggling around with a doctor...and those with weak bladders should take other "precautions"....yet if possible, not a trip to be missed.
  • Options
    Not sure I gave Alan the rights to post this picture of me...Ha! But go on this trip!!! It was the best. Only when the drivers hear of a sighting, do they really put pedal to the metal to try to get you there in a hurry...roads are definitely bumpy...but the scenery is spectacular. I spent most of the two weeks standing on the seats and holding onto the roof rails, with the wind in my hair, animals at every angle, and the vast beauty of the African landscape. I pretended I was on the tailgate of my parents' car...a little kid again in the good old days. You do have the option of sitting up front with the driver, and perhaps fewer bumps. Some of the vehicles have roofs in the front that also open, so you can "pop" up, even from the front seat. A trip not to be missed!
  • Options
    I guess by now people realize I am a cautious cat, but we were always encouraged to sit down before we took off again after a stop to view wildlife, everyone could easily see the scenery sitting down without the risk of a jolt and a nasty fall off the seat you are standing on. Alan's photo looks pretty crazy, my two East Africa trips, everyone would have been sitting at that point. Now in South Africa you are not allowed to stand up at all!
  • Options
    Curious about the Toyota Land Cruisers. It was mentioned that you typically stand on the seats when viewing the wildlife. I'm 6'6" tall. I'm wondering how I'll fit in the vehicle. Would I need to stand on the seats? If so, will my head be hitting the popped up top? Any information about how I might fit in the Toyotas will be appreciated.
  • Options
    Hi Sam, hum, well not sure whether you will need to stand up, good point. I have taken the Kenya and Tanzania tour and at that time the the vehicles were exactly as seen in Alan's photos from this year. On my Tanzania tour exactly a year ago the vehicles were different, they had three hatches that came off with no canopy for people like you to potentially bang their heads on. At the time a couple of people complained that the uprights on each corner of the canopy got in the way of camera lenses, it was not an issue for us. Having travelled in both types of vehicle, we much prefer the ones with the hatches that come off. It has been suggested that you never know what type of vehicle is going to be used, I really don't know the real answer. I think it would be a good idea to call Tauck to see what is the real answer because you probably will still need to stand on a seat otherwise others could be in your way.
    Another alternative is to take the Elegant South Africa tour where you have to remain seated at all times.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Curious about the Toyota Land Cruisers. It was mentioned that you typically stand on the seats when viewing the wildlife. I'm 6'6" tall. I'm wondering how I'll fit in the vehicle. Would I need to stand on the seats? If so, will my head be hitting the popped up top? Any information about how I might fit in the Toyotas will be appreciated.

Sam, you should have no problem. First, you only need to stand if you want to. Everyone gets a window seat and the drivers usually reposition the vehicle so both sides get a good view. The vehicles in Tanzania and for the first part of Kenya had sliding windows so you can stay seated and look through the glass or slide it out of the way. The vehicles in the Masai Mara had open windows (with roll-up vinyl covers which we only used at 04:30 am on our way to the balloon ride.)

I am 5'9" and could see over the fixed portion of the roof when standing on the floor of the vehicle. I don't remember how much head room I had when standing on the seats. Also, many of the vehicles had a hatch over the driver/shotgun seats that could be opened and flipped out of the way.

Here are examples or our vehicles:

Photo taken through sliding glass window from the opposite side of the vehicle:

IMG_2239r.jpg

IMG_2332r.jpg

The windows in vehicles in the Masai Mara had the largest openings (the vinyl covers were only used once):

IMG_2700r.jpg

This shot clearly shows headroom when standing on the floor:

IMG_2726r.jpg

IMG_2748r.jpg

Amboseli vehicle with front hatch open. Neither driver nor shotgun rider are standing up.

IMG_2007r.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file