Options

My "Portrait of India" experience

We went on the "Portrait of India" tour in February 2015. WOW...what a great trip!

It took me a while to process all of the amazing things we experienced, but I finally finished writing about our trip. Hopefully it will help others who are planning for this tour, or considering taking it. As with some of my other reviews, I purposely kept my personal impressions to a minimum so I wouldn't spoil the wonderful experiences for others who are going.

Here's my blog:
http://1mpages.com/ReviewTauckIndia.html

Every trip that I go on leaves some kind of lasting impression. But I have to say, this one has had the greatest impact of any of them. Truly amazing.

Happy travels!

Comments

• Options
    Thank you for the fabulous review! We have been considering this trip:-)
  • Options
    Peregrinator,

Thanks for your reviews. They're so detailed. Hope you post more!

• Options
    Thanks for nice review about india tour
  • Options
    Did anyone in your group take malaria preventive medication on this trip?
  • Options
    Thank you for your post, we are booked for Feb 2016
  • Options
    Hello Peregrinator.
    Excellent report, thank you so much.
    I do have a couple of questions ,I'm planning India with Tauck next Oct. 2016 and I know there are some changes but my question is regarding the ATM machines . It seems none of the hotel have them, is this true? they do have money exchange ,but no mention about ATM's.
    Also in New Delhi on the 3rd tour day they mention; a tour thruw the colorful bazaars, sacred temples, 17th-century havelis (mansions) and colonial monuments in the winding streets of Old Delhi, the capital of Muslim India from the 12th through the 19th centuries.. Which sacred temples? Do they visit the Mosque? or the Bahai Lotus?
    the reason why I ask, is .because if Tauck doesn't include them I would do private visits, since I will arrive 2 days prior.
    Could you kindly advise.
    Thanks , hope to hear from you.
  • Options
    Hello Peregrinator,
    We are going this October and I appreciate your detailed report. We know 2 couples who have been on this same tour and they were not able to give us much information at all. Now, I feel more confident about what to expect and how to pack.
    My only question is what else would you do in Delhi other than the same sites that Tauck will take us to see? Again, we appreciate the time and effort you spent in helping others be well prepared. We did not get any inoculations as of yet...
  • Options
    Hello Peregrinator,
    We are going this October and I appreciate your detailed report. We know 2 couples who have been on this same tour and they were not able to give us much information at all. Now, I feel more confident about what to expect and how to pack.
    My only question is what else would you do in Delhi other than the same sites that Tauck will take us to see? Again, we appreciate the time and effort you spent in helping others be well prepared. We did not get any inoculations as of yet...

Hi, as your vacation is just about six weeks I away or so, I would suggest you see about any vaccinations now. If you need hep B, that is a course of three spread over several months. It's good to also not have all you need all at once so you do not overload your immune system. But please do see your Dr soon and check the requirements for India on the CDC website andd the WHO website. Go with a list of places you will be visiting and then you and your doctor can discuss your needs.
    Regarding Delhi sites, I felt Tauck did a good job of taking us to the major sites. I believe there was only one free afternoon to do independent site seeing.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Hello Peregrinator,
    I just finished reading the wonderful dissertation on your "Portrait of India" trip and was enthralled! Your photos were also fabulous. I booked the "Spotlight on India" trip for October but am now reconsidering my choice. Tauck informed me I won't have a problem switching. I have taken about 21 trips with them and they are excellent. I was just wondering if you had an opportunity to see any of those wonderful tigers. If you have any further tips you would like to pass along, I would be most grateful. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Peregrinator
    Thank you
    Awesome report
    Going in January 2017
  • Options
    Please be aware that the itinerary has changed since this report was posted. With that said, this is a fabulous trip and the new itinerary is wonderful!
  • Options
    joycesw wrote:
    Please be aware that the itinerary has changed since this report was posted. With that said, this is a fabulous trip and the new itinerary is wonderful!

We were not surprised that Tauck made some itinerary changes since we went in 2015. I remember our Tour Director mentioning that a number of factors completely out of Tauck's control were making it increasingly difficult to maintain the "old" itinerary; primarily train and flight schedules.

Even with their changes, the current itinerary looks wonderful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file