August 2016 Scotland and Ireland Tours

Doing Scotland first with six days in between before joining group in Shannon. Would appreciate suggestions on what to see in those days that won't be duplicated by Tauck and how to travel between the two countries.

Comments

• Travel, well boat or plane, no really don't know about boats. I would investigate making your original flight from the U.S. A three/four point trip, so booking it with a Stop-0ver in Scotland, which will be six days then on to Shannon and then back to US. In other words, book the whole trip at once as one trip, it might even be cheaper that way. For example, last year, my husband flew U S A to Manchester, stayed three days, then on to London for a few days, and then back to The U.S. And it was cheaper than The U.S. To London and back, he was visiting parents in Manchester before going to London. You might look at British Airways for this.
  • Just some general information .....

You'll stay in Ennis if you stay with Tauck before your tour .... I called/e-mailed the hotel and asked for an air-conditioned room as not all rooms have AC .... the pub at the Old Ground Hotel has good food and lively nightly music. However, my husband ate raw oysters for dinner there one night and a poached egg for breakfast .... then, promptly got sick for a day and night of the tour. I advise eating only throughly cooked food while there.

I did some research and found a city/tasting tour ..... we also attended Mass at St. Peter and St. Paul Cathedral ....and visited the Friary .... down by the Friary, there is a fine restaurant ....The Cloister .... it served the best lamb shank dinner we enjoyed while in Ireland.

Overall, a lovely, colorful, lively city ..... take warm clothes. Leaving 90* weather in the USA, we took shorts, sandal, etc. and had to mail them back home, thus, wearing one pair of jeans and one sweatshirt for the entire tour.

Bus driver, M.A.R.T.A.I.N. and guide, B.R.E.A.N.N.A. .... were the BEST!

Enjoy,
    L.i.n.d.a. :o)
  • edited July 2015
    Where are you spending the six days? If in London, there are more things to do than you have time! Check out the E,S,W forum posts for tons of ideas.

If you are spending your down time in Ireland, especially Ennis, then not so much. Check out TripAdvisor, etc. Ennis itself is a fairly small town and you can probably walk and see everything there is to see in one day. Nearby there is Bunratty Castle and folk park in Bunratty a tad south of Shannon and the Foynes Flying Boat Museum with a flying boat replica also near Shannon. In the 30's and 40's PanAm and BOAC flying boats headed for the US would leave from Foynes. Both places are reachable by local bus from Ennis. Just about anything else will likely require a car or car and driver.

We are on the 5 Sept tour. Can anyone verify that Brogan's Pub is now closed? It has been reported by many that it was a good place to eat and listen to local music. We had planned to eat there when we arrive on the 4th. It was just up the street from the Old Ground, but supposedly closed its doors for good earlier this year (the owners reportedly retired and no one has stepped in to buy and run it?)
  • There are several reviews on TripAdvisor in June 2015. So, it would appear Brogan's Bar is still open for business.

Hope Everyone Checks out the new fb page for BROGANS BAR & RESTAURANT......RE-OPENING THIS FRIDAY 12TH JUNE....A New Image & A New Chapter for Brogan's 24 O'Connell Street. Wishing Derek, Kieran & All Involved The Very Best of Luck

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file