Options

Binocular recommendations?

Does anyone have a recommendation for binoculars for the trip? What size is sufficient without becoming a burden to pack around? I'm told that image stabilization is nearly a must. I'm considering the Canon 10x30 Image Stabilized binoculars. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Does anyone have a recommendation for binoculars for the trip? What size is sufficient without becoming a burden to pack around? I'm told that image stabilization is nearly a must. I'm considering the Canon 10x30 Image Stabilized binoculars. Any thoughts?

I'm sitting here in the lobby of the Fairmont Mara Safari Club since there is no wifi in the rooms (tents). Unfortunately, we leave the Mara tomorrow boooo, hooo! Binocs- depends on what you want to see. Frankly we didn't use them too much- I had my camera with 300mm lens and my wife wears glasses and finds it hard to use binocs. If you get them too powerful they will be hard to use to find things (too narrow field of view) or impossible to use (the Landcruisers do a lot of rocking and rolling- all game drives are on bumpy, rocky, pock-marked, rarely scrapped dirt roads- using the term road is being kind. Most of the time, if you need binocs to see something it is too far away to enjoy.

My recommendation try them out in a store or borrow from a friend to see what works for you.

This trip is truly amazing.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Whenever we are in a safari vehicle, I tend to have my binoculars round my neck, that does not mean that I constantly use them, but they are immediately there if I want to look at say an elusive but distant leopard or lion up a tree. There are times when I am done taking photos but want to continue viewing the animal and it is different with binoculars. Binoculars are particularly valuable for viewing the numerous beautiful African birds that you maybe know will not photograph well, I let my husband take photos of those with his more superior camera and I enjoy watching with the binoculars. When he has finished any photo opportunities, he then uses his binoculars. I do wear glasses and do not find it a problem, I twist the optic near my eye so it is not in the way, I use a smallish pair, not sure of the magnification, I'm not at home to take a look.
    Just to comment on Alan talking about the rocking and rolling of the vehicles, it should not be a problem because whenever there is something of interest to view, the driver will have the engine turned off and the vehicle angled so that you will have the best view of whatever you want to see, that usually the driver has spotted before you. There is a nack to using binoculars that is easy to learn, you point in on the general direction and start panning low, slowly panning up, I don't really know how to explain the technique but my husband taught me well. It is certainly worth practicing before the vacation. Whenever we are away and I forget to pack the binoculars, I always regret not having them with me.
  • Options
    British and AlanS - Thanks for the help. I had a friend bring in a pair of the Canon 10x30 Image Stabilize binoculars to work and I tried them out. They seem like they will work great. When I viewed something with the binoculars unaided I had some amount of hand jitter in the image. As soon as I pushed the Image Stabilization button the jitter was eliminated. Our trip is in September and as it approaches we're getting very excited. Thanks again to both of you for your tips.
  • Options
    I know you are going to have an amazing time Sam and so wish I was coming with you. Another tip, start saving now, you will want to go again!
  • Options
    We just returned from the trip and I am still pinching myself. My sister and I both brought binoculars with 10x42 and we were glad we did. Even Seth borrowed them. I left mine in the bus as we crossed border into Kenya but luckily Eric, tour director who is friend of mine was in Arusha and he was able to get them back. In mean time my sister shared and it made all the difference to see the animals!
  • Options
    When my group went, binoculars were rarely used by anyone.....I was glad I didn't bring one and didn't feel I'd missed out as the camera lens served just as well. The few people who had were willing to share, but were rarely, if ever asked.
  • Options
    It just shows how individual each group is. I am glad things like binoculars are discussed here so people can make informed choices. I am sure that others don't even realize that they may want to use binoculars until they read it here. I like to use them, they have. Been essential at times on the safaris I have been on and especially for the birds.
  • Options
    Maybe why the binocs were so necessary for us was we are NOT photographers, thus had no lenses....got super pics on my iPhone which always amazes me. So the binocs got us up close and personal and the images will forever remain in my memories. Home less than a week and I am still smiling and thanking God for the trip of a lifetime!
  • Options
    Shelley, after my first trip to Africa and meeting all those great people, the only thing I wanted to do was go back for more. I've been so lucky to be able to do three trips to Africa and my next is already booked. It's rare to communicate with someone who does not take many photos. I take them but like you my imagination and memories serve me just as well. My friends enjoy my travel blogs of Africa, but most don't necessarily want to see photos and to be honest until you go, you really don't understand that magical 'pull' that Africa has to keep your heart forever there.
  • Options
    British, I have been bitten. As I recover from Jet Lag I cannot get my mind off the people I met, the sounds and the silence. My goodness it is truly life changing! I have a close friend who is one of the Tour Directors there and i now understand the love he has for the people. Everywhere I went I could see in their eyes the love they all have for him. It added to my joy! I want to learn more about the animals and their mysteries! Do you return to Kenya/Tanzania or do you venture to other places?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Shelley, I have done the South Africa Elegant Adventure and the K and T and a year ago we went back to Tanzania Zanziber tour. The next will be the Botswana, Zambia Soiuth Africa tour. But my favorite so far is Tanzania, we hope we may be able to volunteer at FAME in Arusha when my husband retires, we visited the facility last year, we donate money and regularly get newsletters. Our Tauck tour guide was Susan then, but out other two tours were with Rachel, we have yet to meet the legendary Seth.i'll try post a link to Fame.

Foundation for African Medicine & Education
    4553 Crimsonwood Drive
    Redding, CA 96001
    www.fameafrica.org
    info@fameafrica.org

This is the best I can do, i'm hopeless at links. See if you can see the new video by checking out the website
  • Options
    British, Seth was terrific, but my friend is Eric and he is there now...we did see him in Arusha before our tour launched. My mum has been on 15 tours and Eric is a cut above in her opinion....we first had him on a tour of the Maritime provinces. We are Canadian as is he, so we have stayed in touch! He helped to make this trip very special for us. I think TAUCK is blessed to have such wonderful directors! Thanks for the link. I will check it out! What is your favorite TAUCK tour?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I think Rachel is taking a break from Africa, she was cross-training with our England, Scotland, & Wales tour in 2013. The "legendary" Seth was our TD on K&T last month! He was fantastic! He has been doing this for a long time and is one of the architects of the K&T and India tours.

Rachel and Ron at our farewell dinner in the Tower of London (7/19/2013).

IMG_5515rr1.jpg

The Legendary Seth briefing our K&T group before we fly from Nanyuki to the Masai Mara (6/23/2015):

IMG_2418cr.jpg
  • Options
    British, Seth was terrific, but my friend is Eric and he is there now...we did see him in Arusha before our tour launched. My mum has been on 15 tours and Eric is a cut above in her opinion....we first had him on a tour of the Maritime provinces. We are Canadian as is he, so we have stayed in touch! He helped to make this trip very special for us. I think TAUCK is blessed to have such wonderful directors! Thanks for the link. I will check it out! What is your favorite TAUCK tour?

All my tours have been great for different reasons. I enjoyed the three Africa tours, but overall Tanzania was my favorite. I should add that I think The South Africa safari experience is very different. I also loved Galapagos. My other favorite place is Japan, I've been there twice but not on a tour. I would actually like to do the Tauck tour to Japan, but my husband has been there so many times he will need persuading or go over and above another place. Costa Rica would also be high on the list. I am discounting all the European countries I have been to because I love them, but I kinda know what to expect, so the excitement I felt was less than those three I mention. The same with Australia and New Zealand, I knew what it would be like, so no surprises.
    Each time we book a tour, I think ,this is going to be the one that goes wrong, because we have been so fortunate, but so far every trip has given us axmillion memories and experiences.
    Yes, you can see the picture of Rachel that Alan posted, I hope to see her again sometime. It's fun to spot the tour guides we know in the brochures.
  • Options
    British - Since you've done both the Galapagos and Tanzania tours and seem to prefer Tanzania I can't wait for my September trip. Until now, the Galapagos was my favorite Tauck tour. The accessibility of the Galapagos wildlife and the different type of wildlife (land, sea, and air) is what made it so special. For non-wildlife type of tours China would be my favorite. That was 15 years ago and with a different tour company, but all of the sites were amazing. I would agree with your assessment of Europe. Still we're booked for the Venice and Dalmation Coast tour next May. The small ship tours have different appeal (no packing/un-packing). We did the Treasures of the Aegean (Greece and Turkey) small ship tour and absolutely it.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Yes, so many places to see, so little vacation time to do it in and have to be so careful to budget how much money to pick off the money tree.
    The main difference for me between the two tours is that in Tanzania there is more opportunity to mix with the local people. I have not been to China, we mulled about going a couple of years ago but decided on India instead. Hopefully we will get there one day, the blog someone posted about China on the forum last night was interesting, I thought maybe it was some dating agency but it was still interesting. I'm enjoying the current crop of reviews of the tours, it's so much more useful than people just posting their names and what tour they are going on but maybe safer when people express opinions like me but it is good to 'talk' with fellow travel lovers. Hey. I am not knocking Europe, we are going to Italy in September but sadly there has not been one review on this forum about the tour, I'm really disappointed about that. We found ourselves in Spain for a few days earlier in the year and because we have spent so much time going to more exotic locals but principally lots of old Colonial countries, it was odd to be concerned I could not communicate in the language especially as my husband was busy elsewhere so I had to experience the point of view of a solo traveller during the day. Happy traveling!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file