Options

The Blue Danube... Prague to Budapest

Anyone going on this riverboat cruise beginning July 23, 2015 from Prague?

Comments

• Options
    We are going on the MS Savor beginning July 29.
  • Options
    We are also going on the MS Savor July 29th> We are live in N.Y. US
    we are you from?
    Egreen

• Options
    MKJ wrote:

Yes, Dailey & Nancy McPeak from Naples, FL. Where do you live?
  • Options
    We are two couples, one from Long Island and one from New Jersey.
  • Options
    Hi Barbara,
    We are from Westchester N.Y. and we are also on The July 29th trip on the Danube.
    Nice to meet you.
    We have never been on a river cruise , have you ?
    EGreen
  • Options
    MKJ wrote:

Yes, my friend and I are on this cruise -- we are from Central New York
  • Options

We arrive in Prague on the 22nd on a flight originating from Dulles. We are from Williamsburg VA. Looking forward to our first river cruise with Tauck. First time traveling in this part of Europe.
    Ken and Marty
  • Options
    We arrive on the 22nd as well on a flight from JFK.
  • Options
    This is our first riverboat cruise. We have been on Oceania twice on a regular cruise.

Barbara
  • Options
    I hope all of you travelers that were on the MS Savor riverboat tour from Prague to Budapest had a great time and would be kind enough to share your adventure stories. My wife and I will be on the same tour beginning Sept. 23rd and are open to any trip tips and suggestions. Richard & Alana from Michigan.
  • Options
    Rwaldorf wrote:
    I hope all of you travelers that were on the MS Savor riverboat tour from Prague to Budapest had a great time and would be kind enough to share your adventure stories. My wife and I will be on the same tour beginning Sept. 23rd and are open to any trip tips and suggestions. Richard & Alana from Michigan.

We took the tour starting July 1. This was INCREDIBLE!!! I would say that everything Tauck tells you is true - but bear in mind, they are MODEST about how wonderful this is. Every detail was handled with grace and speed, and there were so many delightful surprises and generosities, I cannot name them all - not would I want to spoil the surprises for YOU. Down to details we found we should remember: DH sent some shirts out to be laundered (and they came back *military perfect*) but I did some hand wash in the sink a few times. Bring a couple of SHAM-WOW towels to roll damp things in, then STEP on the roll, and your things will dry faster. We also brought a couple of foam hangers, and a stronger elastic clothesline than was in our shower. I also brought two spring-loaded walking poles - they were a big help on all the hill and cobblestones. I had a brand new pair of Drew shes fall apart on all those stones - you might want to take a tube of athletic shoe repair glue (stays flexible) just in case. I am the human equivalent of a Persian cat - but found (according to my cellphone app) that some days, we walked 6-7 miles!! Not all at once, and lots of places to stop and rest - but I was amazed at myself. I also got a Magellan jacket with removal sleeves, that had a dozen pockets - with the walking poles (which I did not use all the time - more for insurance - paid $13 for a pair on eBay!) I did not have to worry about a purse, and my camera, too. Brought those special cooling towels and hats that you dip in water, and they cool you ho for hours - it was a record HEATWAVE when we we on this trip! Spent a lot of time in nice, cool churches . . . Don't forget voltage converters, even though the ships have both kinds - not always enough in the hotels. Cuisine on the ship was wonderful - and HEALTHY, as well as elegant. We had to cover our wine glasses at most meals, or they would have been refilled constantly - to the delight of SOME, just not us, after the first one or two - or three . . . EVERY SINGLE staff member was a delight - some were almost invisible in their efficiency, and others, more of a "presence" - but 120 guests, 45 staff makes for *smooth sailing*. MANY fine musical performances - and we are professional classical musicians here in NY - and everything was top-notch. Due to the extreme heat, some of the formal-dress events became "business casual" - our men were released from jackets and ties. I could go on - if you have specific questions, I will answer - but you can tell that we were VERY pleased. First Tauck cruise - we are already planning to take a Seine cruise in 2017 (already have some home remodeling things lined up for 2016.) Are busy talking friends into taking a Tauck trip. One couple had done a Tauck - tried a Viking - and vowed that their NEXT trip will be another Tauck - told us today, they are set for Fall of 2016. Did NOT need a special ATT phone plan - used SKYPE to call home sporadically, and WiFi hotspots and hotel WiFi - could have saved $60. OK - ENOUGH already for now!

Pauline and Peter Mancuso - Kingston, NY
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Pauline & Peter, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a descriptive accounting of your fabulous trip. With your tips and suggestions we have made a list of items we will now take with us on our tour. Within the last few years we've been on several Tauck tours and will continue using Tauck for the same reasons you've mentioned above. This will be our first riverboat tour and after reading your critique there's no doubt in my mind that we'll have a great time.
    You're more then welcome to post additional thoughts of your trip as you remember them.

Richard & Alana Waldorf - West Bloomfield, MI
  • Options
    Rwaldorf wrote:
    Pauline & Peter, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a descriptive accounting of your fabulous trip. With your tips and suggestions we have made a list of items we will now take with us on our tour. Within the last few years we've been on several Tauck tours and will continue using Tauck for the same reasons you've mentioned above. This will be our first riverboat tour and after reading your critique there's no doubt in my mind that we'll have a great time.
    You're more then welcome to post additional thoughts of your trip as you remember them.

Richard & Alana Waldorf - West Bloomfield, MI

Glad to be of help - sorry if this is seen as long-winded. Since I (Pauline) do more of the sink-laundry than Peter, I have 2 other suggestions: bring a few various-size sink stoppers - the Savor had high-tech sinks with NO STOPPERS, just a kind of waterfall drain - odd. Either a few sizes, of one of those that is a flat circle about 4-5inches across. BUT - if you are sloshing your *smalls* around - you dislodge the flat stopper. One famous travel catalog has a bag called a Scrubbee - for $55!!! Someone on a review site said to get what kayakers (SOOO not me!!) call a "dry bag" - you roll the top closed to keep things dry - but you can also put laundry in there, some detergent, water, squeeze out the iair, seal it up - and then "do a little dance" on it on the cabin floor. Empty, add rinse water - another little dance. Wring, SHAMWOW, hang. Went to a local camping store to look at sizes - saw a 22L that seems OK - might get slightly bigger? Then came home and looked at a few on closeout, online, from sensible and NOT snooty camping places. Yup - gonna get me a DRY BAG. Peter does not play golf, but the fellas on the trip, in the HIGH heat, told him to get some breathable poly golf shirts. These are GREAT - not like the polyester of old - and not clammy like cotton gets.

We used our iPhones for pictures, and had them set to use the PhotoStream - so when we plugged them in later in the day, and turned on WiFi, everything got uploaded to home computer. Had a friend whose camera was stolen while in Greece seeing family - and all the photos of people she would never see again, were lost. One couple on our trip lost THEIR camera, and all their pics - so I emailed them all of ours. About 500 (WeTransfer.com will handle that for you.)

That's it for now - ask if you think of anything I missed. Sorry for the typos in the previous post - and probably this one.

Pauline
  • Options
    Again, thanks for the tips. But, wait a minute, you mentioned GOLF. I'm a golfer! Are you telling me there's time for a round of golf on this riverboat tour or were you referring to other golf trips your husband's buddies have taken? (I'm sitting at the edge of my seat waiting for your reply).
  • Options
    Pauline, you had some interesting suggestions about doing laundry on board the cruise ship. I particularly like the shamwows idea. Would be essential if you wanted to wash something very heavy like slacks.

A couple of comments/questions.

I too have one of those heavier travel clothes lines, but didn't use last cruise as I only did undees and the Tauck provided one in the shower was fine for that. Also couldn't figure how to hook up my own. Any ideas?

I packed a plastic hanger with a swivel hook and skirt clips. Didn't end up using it but figured it would be handy if my clothes line didn't work.

You mentioned the sinks on the new ships didn't have stoppers. Is it possible they are the kind that you press down on to close/open? Seems weird that the ship would provide a clothes line but no way to actual wash clothes.
  • Options
    Rwaldorf wrote:
    Again, thanks for the tips. But, wait a minute, you mentioned GOLF. I'm a golfer! Are you telling me there's time for a round of golf on this riverboat tour or were you referring to other golf trips your husband's buddies have taken? (I'm sitting at the edge of my seat waiting for your reply).

Peter does not play golf - he just bought golf SHIRTS, because they breathe well. There is a little putting green on the top deck - I think.

Pauline
  • Options
    Pauline, you had some interesting suggestions about doing laundry on board the cruise ship. I particularly like the shamwows idea. Would be essential if you wanted to wash something very heavy like slacks.

A couple of comments/questions.

I too have one of those heavier travel clothes lines, but didn't use last cruise as I only did undees and the Tauck provided one in the shower was fine for that. Also couldn't figure how to hook up my own. Any ideas?

I packed a plastic hanger with a swivel hook and skirt clips. Didn't end up using it but figured it would be handy if my clothes line didn't work.

You mentioned the sinks on the new ships didn't have stoppers. Is it possible they are the kind that you press down on to close/open? Seems weird that the ship would provide a clothes line but no way to actual wash clothes.

The line in the shower sags with a few shirts on it - a heavier one should be secured with some kind of hooks, I brought a few suction hooks - not all of them did the job. I also brought metal S-hooks that i cook insert into the braid - was able to hang a few things in the room. I am sure the cleaning staff has SEEN IT ALL as far as hanging laundry! We passed another ship (of clearly a lower quality) where guests had things flapping in the breeze out their balconies - too tacky! The sinks do NOT have any mechanism to close them - really, really odd - which is why we asked at the desk for a stopper, and were told they had VERY few - and we got the last one. Bringing my own from now on. And you really cannot expect heavy slacks to dry; I brought lightweight poly/cotton - and I LOVE anything crinkle, because they wash and dry easily - going to buy more. Peter had TravelSmith pants that REALLY shed any stains, dirt - you can wipe them off, and they s look fine. Brought a TS sportscoat, too - but due to the heat I mentioned, never had to wear it.

Pauline
  • Options
    Thanx Pauline. Found a stopper on Amazon that I'm ordering today.

Agree about the not trying to do heavy pants. Unfortunately our upcoming cruise is next month when I'll need a bit warmer pants. May have to bite the bullet and have some laundry done by the ship.

I never have much luck with suction cups either.
  • Options
    Thanx Pauline. Found a stopper on Amazon that I'm ordering today.

Agree about the not trying to do heavy pants. Unfortunately our upcoming cruise is next month when I'll need a bit warmer pants. May have to bite the bullet and have some laundry done by the ship.

I never have much luck with suction cups either.

I have two things that are really safety handles for a tub or shower - each is a circle about 4 inches across with a fist-sized grip that snaps shut. I take at least ONE when I travel, since I fear slipping in strange showers - but I am going to take TWO next time, as well as the usual little snap-hook suction cups - THEY each will hold a shirt on a hanger. AND - I also bought a *dry bag* yesterday on Amazon - got it half-price - got a 20 L size. Useful to do laundry in the "stomp grapes" method - and when we take the Tauck National Parks tour another year, if there is any rafting, we now have a great place to stow gear. They were also running a "included free" special of a waterproof bag for your cellphone - and to get the free shipping (over $35) I also got a group of thee little waterproof bags - not that i am planning on g falling OUT of any boats, you understand! So including free shipping and tax, I ended up with FIVE waterproof bags - the large one I set out to get, a phone bag, and three small ones! Total cost $37. Beats the $55 for the SCRUBBEE in Magellan! Gee - with all this stuff - we will just have to take MORE TRIPS!!!

Pauline
  • Options
    We're on the Sept. 24th Prague to Budapest riverboat tour and arriving a few days early. Anyone interested in joking my wife and me on a private guided side trip around Prague on Tuesday, 9/22/15? There will be no castles but some sightseeing and maybe a little shopping involved.
    Richard & Alana from Michigan
    Rwaldorf@comcast.net
  • Options
    Richard,

We took this wonderful river boat expeience last summer and it was the trip of a lifetime for us. We also had and extra day in Prague and decided to book a private tour to Kutna Hora (also a wodnerful day). The private tour group we used was very professional and wonderful. Hers is their website if you have any interest. They have many Prague tours available.
    http://www.personalpragueguide.com/
  • Options
    Braebuds, thanks for your comments. This is the first I've heard of Kutna Hora but I'll look into it. We have a private guide scheduled for the day before the Tauck Tour and I'll ask her about it. We're still looking for another couple to join us on this private tour. Out tour is scheduled for next week and we are very excited about it.
    Richard.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    We're going on this trip, starting 10/21 in Prague. Thanks for all the laundry tips! Too funny how the practicalities of life consume us. Can someone tell me if the Savoy has hairdryers in the room? The Intercontinental? The Kempinski Corvinus?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file