Options

2015 vs 2016 Itinerary

While sitting here counting the days until our 13 June K&T Safari (on one hand now!) I decided to look at the 2016 itinerary.

The lengths and routes are the same, but the 2016 safari spends one less day at the Mt. Kenya Safari Club- (published) activities on 2015 days 9 and 10 have been combined into one day in 2016. The two(?) free afternoons have been eliminated- which means you get to spend one more day in the Masai Mara tented camp and gain two more (evening) game drives! Also, the balloon ride (first attempt) in 2016 occurs a day earlier, on day 11 vs day 12, so it looks like there are now potentially two fallback days should the winds be too high on the first (or second?) attempt.

I'm sure they both both are great, but when you look at it on paper it looks like the 2016 itinerary is better and I wish we had that one! Oh, well. Does anyone who has taken this trip have any comments about the changes? Do you think the 2016 itinerary is better or were there already enough game drives and did you welcome the down time? I suspect the changes were made in response to trip critiques and suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds as if the itinerary has reverted back to the tour we experienced several years ago apart from you staying in the Mount Safari and Four Seasons. I have read at least one comment about not wanting the free afternoons. There is down time in the middle of every day anyway. Plus I just read comment from Sealord about fireplaces in rooms in these hotels . Wow, nothing like that on our K and T tour, ours was less fancy., though we did not feel or need anything different at the time. When I read the K and T itinerary before choosing the Tanzania tour last year, I realized even though it was longer and $2000 more at the time, it appeared to be a similar number of safaris and I just preferTanzania so much more. Don't worry Alan, this will not be your only safari.
  • Options
    I think you will be thrilled with the itinerary for the 2015 KT safari......while it was nice to do the evening game drive, we honestly saw little. Spotters have a bright light they shine into the bush, but other than a lot of dust, we did not see much that evening. Honestly, this sounds hard to believe, but by the time the evening drive was over, we were all ready to hit the sheets (and our hot water bottles)! The balloon ride was a success, and most (according to our guide) do make it off the ground.

The safari is well-paced and the down time is welcomed by all. I never had time to open my iPad to watch a movie or listen to music, and never had time to open the Kindle to read a book. Every minute seemed to be filled and one day was better than the next. I don't think you'll be disappointed on any level. Also, hold off any real shopping until you go to the cultural heritage center. They have everything you might want to bring back for yourself or others. Arts and crafts work do not need to be declared, so break out your credit card. They wrap items well for packing or ship.

But back to the trip.....it took until the Masai Mara for our group to see male lions!!! Enjoy every day as each day only gets better. Another take away....you will hear the sounds of Africa long after you leave. Best trip ever, and I've taken many. Hakuna matata, you'll be glad you went now.
  • Options
    I'm glad they changed the day of the balloon ride. We went in 2012 and the weather did not cooperate and we couldn't fly. We were disappointed because that was our last day. It is an incredible trip! I relive it over and over again in my mind. We have traveled a good bit but nothing compares. We will return.
  • Options
    I suppose you are traveling now, Alan. Enjoy the trip and I look forward to reading your review on your return.

We are booked for 2016. The itinerary may be a sightly better than 2015, but I have to wait another year and you don't.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file