Options

Sicily

The "Sicily: Culture through the Ages" Tauck has been slightly changed from last year and
I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has already taken this tour earlier this year; that is,
in 2015. I have reservations on this tour September 11-20-2015 tour and some questions
about Mt. Etna - do we just get a view of Mt. Etna as we drive by or do we stop at it or do we
stop close to it and get out, walk around and take photos - can anyone help me?
I'm staying a few days longer in Taormina where the tour ends and hope to find a tour that
spends some time at Mt. Etna. Thanks for any information.

Posted by Therese

Comments

• Options
    We just returned from the Sicily trip and it was fantastic!! We stayed at Mt Etna for approximately 45 minutes. There was one crater we walked around, but there is one a little higher they will let you walk to. We chose to stay on the lower one. Views were fantastic. We thought the tour was very well done. You learn a great deal about the Sicilian customs and culture. If you have any other questions I will try to answer them as best I can. But enjoy the trip and be ready to eat your way through Sicily!
  • Options
    We were on the May 29, 2015 departure. The bus parks in an area close to two craters. One is an easy climb and you can walk all around the rim and go down inside if you like. The other is a more strenuous hike so we spent our time at the easier of the two. There are lots of great photo opportunities. There are also a few tourist shops where you can buy souvenirs made from lava rock. If you decide to take a separate tour leaving from Taormina, allow an entire day and choose a tour that will take you to the top via gondola. Our guide told us that they have jeeps at the top to drive you around but the whole thing takes a few hours. We really enjoyed the entire Sicily tour and I hope you do too!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file