Options

Updated "Travel to Kenya Warning" from the State Department

This morning I received an updated warning from the State Department about traveling to Kenya. The last time there was a warning posted was June 2014. The fact that my trip is coming up in about a month makes me a little nervous. I am hoping that Tauck is well informed about the areas in which we teavel, and that I can sleep at night...before and during the trip. Any of your well traveled thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2015
    50joanie wrote:
    This morning I received an updated warning from the State Department about traveling to Kenya. The last time there was a warning posted was June 2014. The fact that my trip is coming up in about a month makes me a little nervous. I am hoping that Tauck is well informed about the areas in which we travel, and that I can sleep at night...before and during the trip. Any of your well traveled thoughts would be appreciated.

If you look at the State Dept warning, you'll see it is just an update to the previous general warning. There has been no imminent specific threat identified.

Tauck has a team that monitors the situation wherever they run tours. In the case of Kenya and other countries (including the US!) where there is a potential for terrorist acts, you always run the risk that something will happen. It is the nature of our world today. No country or tour company can protect you all the time, so there is always some risk- it is the price we pay for enjoying life vs just living.

If you research the history of events in Kenya (and Tanzania), you will see most recent incidents have occurred in the north and east along the coast and near the border with Somalia, at a gatherings of people (mall, school), many perpetrated by Al-Shabaab, Somalia-based terrorists seeking revenge for Kenyan military participation in international peacekeeping. With the exception of Nairobi and one incident in Arusha, TZ (likely tribal or family dispute), I don't recall ever hearing about any incidents in the places where we will be traveling. I think you are more likely to be hurt in a car accident (or train wreck) here in the US than anywhere on our tour. Kenya derives a significant portion of its GNP from tourism so has stepped up security measures at airports and other such locations.

See you in 29 days!
  • Options
    Hi 50Joanie...Everything that AlanS wrote to you is true. I would not be concerned for your safety. We have been on four safaris since 2012. In fact, our first safari was with Tauck and they took exceptional care of us. Our Tauck group leader had local contacts whom she called before we moved from one location to the next. She knew exactly what was going on in our next stop before we left our hotel.

We also constructed several safaris on our own. During these trips, we visited Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe and South Africa. The only place I ever felt the least bit uncomfortable was at Jomo Kenyatta Airport in Nairobi. When we were last there, the main international terminal had been destroyed by fire. The temporary facilities were crowded and disorganized. It was chaos.

However, I just received an email from an American wildlife biologist who accompanied us on our last safari. He said the new international terminal at Kenyatta Airport if fully functional now. Last time, it took us two hours to pass through the police check points into the airport and then through the airlines, baggage and customs lines. Last month, my friend did all these things in under 15 minutes.

This trip is the trip of a life time. Relax and enjoy Africa and its wonderful people. The wildlife will literally blow your mind....Leo M.
  • Options
    Thanks so much, Leo, for your note. Feeling very excited about the trip. We leave in 12 days. Have clothes piled and ready for spraying. I really cannot believe I am going!!! Have wanted to do this trip since I watched Johnny Weismuller every Sunday on "Picture for a Sunday Afternoon" as Tarzan... Particularly loved your closing sentence that ...the wildlife will blow your mind! Looking forward to meeting lots of good people on tour, and off!
  • Options
    Ah, forget Johnny, now you will realize that Hollywood is hopeless at showing the truth. Ii you see one single vine, never mind chimp or a man swinging on it, please let me know and I'll come back and take a look. Have a wonderful time!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file