SIM cards for cell phones - Danube River Cruise

Does anyone have information about using SIM cards for the countries visited on the Danube River Cruise? Will we need to buy SIM cards in each of the countries, or are there any cards that cover multiple countries?

Comments

• Unless you are sure you really need to call home, my suggestion would be to use email or text that will work anyway and then you don't have to worry about calling and figuring out the usual six hour time difference, especially when Tauck do not allow the use of cell phones during the group travel. Or you could use Skype or FaceTime.
  • Hello acwit,

Your best bet would be to ask your phone carrier regarding SIM cards. British's recommendation about using Skype or FaceTime is excellent advice.

Best,
    Emily
  • Yes. You should be able to buy a SIM card that will allow you to roam to various countries. Ask specifically about the countries you are visiting when you buy the card. Unless the internet on the boats has vastly improved, Skype isn't really a option. Email works great for contacting home.
  • My US carrier is Verizon and their international plan is very expensive, especially for data. When I have traveled in Europe (UK, France, Switzerland, Germany), I have purchased a local SIM card for my smartphone (available at news stands or through local carriers) because the rates are a LOT better, especially for data which is terrific to be able to use Google maps to navigate back to your hotel or to a chosen spot without getting lost. I also love being able to go online for reviews to help choose places to eat.

I own an unlocked phone, so I can just insert the local SIM card. My traveling companions do the same, so we can text if we get separated or go on separate outings, pull up information about places I'm visiting, or check out current reviews on local restaurants.

There are several SIM cards that will allow you to use them in multiple countries, such as the and I was wondering if there was something that would work for countries we will be visiting on the Danube Cruise as it will become expensive if we have to buy 4 different SIM cards. I found this site, which talks about a card where you can choose up to 3 cities, but unfortunately I don't see the ones we will be visiting. http://kenstechtips.com/index.php/best-sim-cards-for-using-smartphone-in-europe

I was hoping that someone else that is a smartphone user might have some recommendations.

Thanks,

Allison
  • I see what you mean Allison, but when you travel with Tauck, any time you are off the boat the tour Dirctor will provide you with maps, suggestions for site seeing and restaurants, so that will eliminate a lot of the data you might require.
  • British is correct that while on the cruise there will be maps available at each stop (with the ship's location noted thankfully), a daily info sheet on the area, as well as, your tour/cruise directors copious help. I'd trust a Tauck TD over anything I read on the internet for recommendations. Tauck does not get any kind of "commission" for steering customers to businesses. In fact, from what I've read elsewhere, if the business usually gives the tour company a commission then for Tauck customers they give you the discount instead.

We didn't bother getting sim cards for our smart phones and didn't regret it at all. Email was fine for staying in touch and we could use the ships WIFI to do any surfing.

However, if you really want a SIM card, below is the link to Rick Steves website which includes this quote "But if you bought the SIM card within the European Union, roaming fees are capped no matter where you travel throughout the EU (about 25 cents/minute for making calls, 7 cents/minute for receiving calls, and 8 cents/minute to send a text message)."

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/phones-tech/cell-phone-europe

Hope this helps.
  • For my landline phone at home I use MagicJack.
    On my iPhone and iPad I also have an APP for MagicJack.

This lets people call me from home anywhere I am in the world as long as I am on Wi-Fi and of course I can also call from anywhere to anywhere in North America without incurring any long distance charges.
    I also believe they have some extra cost plan where you can get calling to other countries.

The APP is available for iPhones, Android and Windows8 phones as far as I know.
  • We are just at the end of a trip to England and Spain and since my husband and I would be doing lots of separate trips and we needed to call each other and friends in England, we called our provided AT and T and asked for a one month international data and phone which included texts and emails. It cost us $30 each. The tip I can give is to do this only a couple of days before you leave or some dopey person at at and t might start it as soon as you call. It has been working well, my hubby could even track where I was and I could use google maps for walking directions. We have sent a few texts and made calls to each other. We both have iPhone 6.
  • Just wanted to put in my two cents regarding phone usage. We pay virtually nothing to use our phones overseas. We always need to be have free wifi to do so. Once we board the plane in the US we put our phones, Iphone 6 plus, on airplane mode and leave it there until we land back in the US. This is important or you get major charges for data.

We use the phone for texting, emails, FB, web browsing, downloading, and phone calls either with facetime or skype ONLY in free wifi. For us, skype works better than facetime. With Tauck, wifi is not an issue as they are so good about supplying free wifi on the ships and in hotels. I spent a half hour talking to my sister in Iowa while we were cruising on the Danube and it cost less than .90.

We have done this in Russia, Baltic states, Israel, Jordan, China, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Austria, and now Serbia, Croatia, Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary. It works!

I highly recommend doing this IF you don't need to text or email or use FB while you are out and about although we often find free wifi in some of the restaurants or public places we visit too.
  • Vodaphone or O2 usually work along the Danube, especially on the German portions. When you get to your hotel the front desk can give you directions to the best place to purchase the SIM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file