Options

Motion Sickness

My husband and I have just booked a Tauck Panama Canal & Costa Rica trip for February 2012, with six nights aboard La Lavante. My only apprehension about the cruise is my tendency toward motion sickness on smaller boats. If you have taken this cruise do you have any information on the boat, the relative roughness of the water off Costa Rica and Panama, and advice on medication? Any info or tips would be much appreciated. Also, did you enjoy the trip?

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Typically, Bonine, over the counter, is a great remedy for motion sickness. Start taking it one day before sailing and take one tablet every moring throughout the trip. It has helped my friends and myself many times. As always, consult with your doctor...
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Hi Susan- We are experienced cruisers, although most of them have been Blues Cruises on Holland America ships. We have also been on the Bering Sea Cruise on Cruise West (when they were in business) on a ship similar in size to the Le Levant and no problems with motion sickness. We are booked on the Feb. 23 eastbound Panama cruise. Can't wait!
    Sheila and Tim
  • Options
    Having just come back from this trip - the only time that the ship rocked and swayed the most was the two nights while underway on the Caribbean. The Pacific was actually very smooth. I don't think you'll have any issues and should not be too concerned about motion sickness. You will take a little more time moving about the cabin and the ship if it is rocking, but mostly the ship is moving at night and not underway much during the days.
  • Options
    ANiem wrote:
    Typically, Bonine, over the counter, is a great remedy for motion sickness. Start taking it one day before sailing and take one tablet every moring throughout the trip. It has helped my friends and myself many times. As always, consult with your doctor...
    My wife uses Bonine on every cruse by taking it the night before. She sleeps well and does not fall asleep during the day as she did the first time she used it. Most of the time she finds half a pill is enough.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Motion sickness affects people in different ways. My wife uses an electronic "relief band" that is available online. It is an absolute live saver for her. I use bonine which is better than Dramamine with no side effects. We also take crystalized ginger on trips for just that moment that you need something soothing. The patch may work but the relief band works in just a matter of 10 seconds. The key to minimizing motion sickness is to book a room in the middle of the ship on the lower floors. We have traveled on ships in Asia, Australia, South America, the Pacific, British Isles, Med Sea, and North Sea.
This discussion has been closed.