Options

Evening temperatures

I will be on the KT Tauck trip this July (their winter) and although very excited and taking all proper precautions, I have not read how travelers manage to cope with 40-50F ambient room temperatures at night. I understand there are often hot water bottles given to guests however, I have a condition called Raynald's Syndrome (fingers and toes lose circulation, go white/blue/numb when temperatures drop usually below 60F)... I am the person you might see wearing gloves while doing grocery shopping in the middle of the summer! If anyone has any tips I would love to read about them...

Comments

• Options
    tcher2 wrote:
    I will be on the KT Tauck trip this July (their winter) and although very excited and taking all proper precautions, I have not read how travelers manage to cope with 40-50F ambient room temperatures at night. I understand there are often hot water bottles given to guests however, I have a condition called Raynald's Syndrome (fingers and toes lose circulation, go white/blue/numb when temperatures drop usually below 60F)... I am the person you might see wearing gloves while doing grocery shopping in the middle of the summer! If anyone has any tips I would love to read about them...

I have been to this area twice in July, I am familiar with Raynauds my mother had it and so does my daughter in law, you should be fine wearing warm socks and maybe gloves at night in bed. If you need the addition of a hot water bottle, be sure to ask in case they are not provided, they definitely are in some resorts. And of course, ask for extra blankets. It is not as cold this area of the world as say the South Africa tour in their winter. Me, I sleep stark naked wherever I go, which was pretty risky in one of our tented camps since there were no 'curtains' at all, never mind the shadows you can see when there is a light on in the tent, all adds to the fun!
  • Options
    TMI?
  • Options
    Snicker ....... er ..... cough, cough. Winter has come with a thump to Melbourne .... oh, but today is just gorgeous....... um ......
  • Options
    I just can't get my writing style balanced can I?
  • Options
    It has been awhile since I looked at the weather in the K&T "Before You Go" section, so I may be wrong, but it seems like there used to be more info than just average temperature in the Serengeti and Nairobi. Average temperature can be very misleading where there is an extreme amount of radiation cooling after the sun goes down and in higher elevations, both of which you'll experience on the K&T trip. Many high dessert areas around the world have extremes swings of temperature- highs in the 80's, 90's, and 100's during the day and cool temperatures almost down to freezing at night!!!

The K&T trip stays very close to the equator and much of it is at moderately high altitude- Nairobi is over a mile high at 5,500 ft.! The altitudes of the Serengeti and Masai Mara range from 3,000 to over 6,000 ft. However, the clear skies and thinner atmosphere also result in the suns rays being much stronger than areas at lower altitude.

So what does this all mean? Be prepared for a wide range of temps- cool mornings, warm to hot during midday, and possibly downright chilly again after the sun goes down- great for sleeping when you don't have A/C!

So, as to average temperature, unless your source says average "daytime" temperature, what they are most likely listing is a 24 hour temperature average which is not too useful if you don't have any nighttime activities planned. I may be wrong, but doubt very seriously that you will see temps in the 40's on tour unless you take time to climb to top of Mount Kilimanjaro or Mt. Meru.

I would check NOAA, Weather dot com, or Weatherunderground, etc to get a more accurate (hour-by-hour) picture of daytime temps in East Africa. Below are selected meteorological data from a chart I made last year to help me select a tour date (I am on the June 13, 2015 departure). Again, remember, these are 24 hour average high and low temperatures. July 8, 2014 Nairobi temps ranged from a 24 hour low of 59°F at 8:00AM to a high of 80°F at 4:00 PM.

June, July
    City (avg high/low °F)

Nairobi 63/73 , 63/72

Masai Mara 63/77, 63/78

Ngorongoro 60/72, 59/72

Kilimanjaro 60/81, 56/82

Manyara 60/82, 59/80

p.s. Selecting the best time to travel is not easy you must consider and balance- times you can go with weather (air & water temps, storms/hurricanes, rain, river flooding, snow, etc.), tourist volume, timing of major events (great migration, holidays, etc.), etc., etc. I look at all that stuff, but like my wife says, I'm OCD : )

• Options
    My wife used to say that too, AlanS....I just assumed it meant Often Correct Dear. It doesn't mean that? Hmmm....
  • Options
    ndvb- Often Correct Dear is a hat I will proudly wear :-)

As for water bottles, they do an amazing job keeping the bed warm throughout the night. I am also sure that if you requested more than 1, the hotels would happily provide them. When you get into bed, they are truly boiling hot and you need to be careful not to keep them against your skin!
  • Options
    tcher2 wrote:

We did K & T in July last year, and my wife gets quite cold quite easily, but she has me to keep her warm ... and a hot water bottle in at least one place. The Four Seasons and the Mt. Kenya Safari Club had fire places. At the Safari Club we had them reset the fire before bed. We were never uncomfortable.
  • Options
    We were advised not to have the fireplace lit, as the smoke can linger in the room and on your clothes....I think you'll be warm enough with the comfortable blankets and the water bottle(s). Also, if concerned, you can always bring a heavier pair of pj's to wear. I packed and heavier one just in case but never pulled it out of the suitcase.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file