Options

July 30th Rhine Moselle

My daughter and I are taking this river cruise. Although we've traveled several times with Tauck, this is the first river cruise. Any ideas on days in Amsterdam before trip deigns?

Comments

• Options
    We're going on this cruise later in the year so I've been doing lots of reading. There's all the usual museums, Anne Frank house, etc that you can find if you just google "Amsterdam sites". There's also some lesser known items like the Museum of Bags and Purses, the hidden churches, etc. I'm also researching shopping locations like the Nine Streets, fabric stores because I'm a fabricaholic, etc. It really depends on what you are interested in. Tons of info on the internet.

Don't forget to make use of the hotel's concierge. Just read a review of the Sofitel Amsterdam (not on this website) where someone wanted to go to the Anne Frank museum but it was booked up. They emailed the concierge a week before arriving and they were able to get them tickets.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    sucha wrote:
    My daughter and I are taking this river cruise. Although we've traveled several times with Tauck, this is the first river cruise. Any ideas on days in Amsterdam before trip deigns?

Don't forget to read or do a search in the Rhine and Moselle Forum archive- there are tons of good discussions and ideas there. You can either scroll from page to page while scanning the topics or if you look to the right in the bar where it says "Logged in as:sucha" you'll see "Search/Active Topics." Click on "Search." The search function is easy to use.
  • Options
    My friend and I will be n this trip as well.
    SuCa
  • Options
    We are also on this July 30 river cruise. We are a couple from the San Diego area.

When we have an extra day in a city, we usually try one of the walking tours recommended in a guide book and/or online. Directions, descriptions, and a map should be included. I have found two from Frommer online that we will decide upon once we get there. Fodor and Rick Steves books often have walking tours as well.
  • Options
    Thanx MarkSCarls for the tip on Frommer's walking tours. I have Rick Steve's Amsterdam guide. Very small and easy to carry. Used his in Paris as well. Planning to download his audio tour to my smartphone before I go.

I've also been finding some interesting info on 2 other websites with information in english:
    awesomeamsterdam.com
    iamsterdam.com

A tip navigating dutch websites - if they are in dutch look for a small British flag icon or try substituting EN for the NL in the websites address. Useful for small businesses like stores or restaurants.

I hope those of you on the July trip will post comments upon your return.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file