Options

Canyonlands Tour and altitude sickness

Hi! Booked on the May 15th Canyonlands Tour. Several of the stops are in areas that are over 5000 feet above sea level (e.g. Bryce Park at 8000 feet). Has anyone had a problem with altitude sickness, and if so, how long until it passed, and what to do about it. Had a problem in Santa Fe many years ago, at 7400 feet, but had come from a much lower level the day before. Hope to hear from someone who has had experience on this tour. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Hi, we have taken the Canyonlands tour. My husband is the one who seems to be affected by altitude sickness, but I do not remember a problem on this tour. However, on a trip to Sante Fe, he was definitely affected. But we did stay at the TenThousand Waves resort which is about 1000 feet higher up.than the town itself. When he lay down he could hardly breathe. He kept well hydrated, maybe just had one glass of wine each night, slept with extra pillows. And also we were only doing some light site seeing, but not doing hikes or anything like that. He did find it quite frightening since he s normally fit and heathy. It obviously was not bad enough to give him headaches but did get the insomnia associated with high altitude. We had not expected problems so had no meds with us. After this experience we decided we might skip a trip to Machu Pichu.
    It's a great tour. We walked the base of Bryce Canyon in the free morning we had there, fairly easy if you set out early before it gets hot.
  • Options
    I don't deal too well with altitude. I have had various issues in different location, including in Santa Fe. I was very concerned before I finally decided on the Spirit of the Desert trip. I realise you are doing Canyonlands, but since you mentioned Santa Fe & Bryce I thought I'd reply. I'm sure you've done your research about transversing the various altitude "gaps" and the timing thereof. I decided to see my Doctor about the medication. I wanted to be able to actually walk far enough to see something, since I'd travelled half way round the world to "see" them. The medication worked for me, although it didn't make me any fitter!

Everyone is different and there are non-medical things you can do .. drink lots of water, etc.. As always, seek your own advice from your own medical practitioner. They know you better than someone on a travel forum!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Is it advisable to see our Dr PRIOR to trip and ask for medication. Just in case. What medication did you get?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file