Rhine Mosele river cruise

We are scheduled for the River cruise from Basel Switzerland to Amsterdam. Wondering how much walking on this trip?

Comments

• There is quite a bit of walking. But never fear, you can tailor your walks and take some basic precautions.

There are lots of delightful European streets that are still cobbled. Cobbles can be hard on the youngest and fittest feet and ankles, but shoes with a good, cushioning sole can work wonders. I travel with a walking pole that folds up and just lives in my suitcase. There were a couple of days that it got an outing along with me. There were a couple of people who had those nifty walking sticks with a little seat attached. There was a lady on this same itinerary last year who used a walking frame when she was off the boat. (I guessed correctly that a new hip was still getting used to the new owner!) One afternoon when I was exploring a riverside town I noticed this lady & her husband whizzing by on one of the local tourist "train/tractor/truck" things. She got up to the Roman ruins well ahead of me and without all my puffing! Or, if you choose, you can stay on the boat and contemplate the sights.

Many excursions are a bus ride away from the river to a town that can really only be appreciated on foot, where the roads are narrow and still follow their medieval patterns. Yes, there is a fair bit of walking, but I think with some thoughtful planning, this is a trip not to be missed. If you have real concerns, why not call Tauck directly and discuss your issues with someone who really does know what is possible.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Hi jgj,

There is a moderate to significant amount of walking on this journey; and it may be rigorous at times because of the amount of walking that is necessary to fully enjoy the itinerary. Travelers should be in good health and must be able to walk reasonable distances over cobblestoned streets and uneven ground.
    Some of the sightseeing can only be accomplished on foot and will occasionally be more than a mile, so it is important that you have sturdy, comfortable and worn-in walking shoes. And lastly, we regret that wheelchairs and scooters cannot be accommodated on this tour.

(Also, the Scylla - Jewel class riverboats have an elevator, which travels between the dining room and Diamond Deck, but please note that the elevator does not go to the Emerald Deck or Sun Deck.)

-Tim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file