Clarification with meds, vitamins needed

A lot has been written about what can be carried in the carryon luggage, what should be in the checked luggage, what is allowed in Australia, etc.
Each person has his/her own concerns and many opinions were given.
From previous postings, it seems as if any and all meds, vitamins, etc should be in original containers and in the carryon bags...is that true??
I have items like cold pills that are in blister packs but out of the box. I normally put these and other over the counter meds (in blister packs) in my checked bag. My thinking is that the airlines might be more worried about what folks are carrying on the plane (in the carryon bags) and less concerned about items that are in the checked luggage.....meaning they are less likely to be confiscated if they are tucked away in the checked luggage.
Am I right, or do they want all meds, vitamins, etc in the carryons?
I tried to call Qantas a few times and was on hold for so long, I finally hung up.
I know we can always buy many of these items in Australia, but it is so much easier just to bring them from home.
I would love some final clarification...
Should I carry these items in my carryon or is it okay to have them in my checked bag?
And....if they are in blister packs, do I also need them to be in the boxes, or is the blister pack enough..since the back of the blister packs state what they are? Thanks!

Comments

• For official information for travellers arriving in Australia, go here: http://www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/visiting_australia.html
    And follow the prompts.
    Also:
    http://www.state.gov and click on the TRAVEL tab.

As for practical, anecdotal tips, as a well-travelled, Australian citizen with recent travel experience, I can offer no more than I already have, which, plainly, is of no use to you. As always, individuals should undertake their own research. I offer the above web addresses merely as an aide-memoire.

• edited January 2015
    jdurkin wrote:
    For official information for travellers arriving in Australia, go here: http://www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/visiting_australia.html
    And follow the prompts.
    Also:
    http://www.state.gov and click on the TRAVEL tab.

As for practical, anecdotal tips, as a well-travelled, Australian citizen with recent travel experience, I can offer no more than I already have, which, plainly, is of no use to you. As always, individuals should undertake their own research. I offer the above web addresses merely as an aide-memoire.

Jan, thanks.

Kinda the definitive answer, at least wrt prescription drugs- who knew there were so many?!?!?

Not that I need the info yet, and I may have missed it because there was so much info, but I did not notice any specific mention of OTC drugs, medications, or homeopathy and naturalopathy supplements, etc. other than those falling under listed criteria (medications that lower blood cholesterol, blood pressure, blood glucose and/or gastric acid, contraception medications (birth control), blood glucose monitoring devices, antibiotics, opioid analgesics (painkillers), medications to aid sleep (sedatives).

I suspect most recognized OTC medications that do not fall under the listed categories, may also be covered by the "Travellers Exemption" as long as you follow the guidelines- have copy of prescription if it is a prescription drug, original bottle, etc., etc. If anyone has any doubt and does not want to have a medication confiscated, they should contact the Australian Government, Department of Health, Therapeutic Goods Administration.
  • I always take the view that I do not have any natural right of entry into a foreign country. I am grateful and pleased that foreign governments allow me to visit their countries, provided I comply with various rules. My position is that I try my very best to comply with the rules. If I cannot, for various reasons ... possibly those issued by a dictatorial regime ... I choose not to visit that country. At the entry point, I try very hard to make the necessary official interaction as simple as possible for that foreign official to allow me speedy access. I see it as counterproductive to put obstacles in my way by being purposefully obtuse.

As for OTC preparations ...it's not such an issue if the official label is in English. Even though I am not a pharmacist or proficient in chemistry, even I am aware that there are many preparations that are considered safe & permissible in one jurisdiction, but not in another. Even the problem of transporting mummified partial remains (ancient Egyptian, as it happens) can present a unique and time-consuming problem at the point of entry into a home country. Turns out is it much easier to label the offending ancient human digit as dried fish ... once the official really understood the details of the situation. And that takes time and goodwill on both sides.

Cheers,

Jan
  • We just returned from the Australia/New Zealand trip. With Global Entry, no one asked to see our medications and supplements in either country.
  • Do remember, though, that all your checked luggage was most likely X-rayed before you collected it. And if you were asked to "explain" the contents of your hand luggage, no doubt, as good and decent world citizens, you could have done so.

My job, as an international traveller, is to make it as easy as possible for immigration and border control personnel to scrutinise my papers and wave me through, as quickly as possible and with as little effort on my part as possible.

And since ..."Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Participants may enter the United States by using automated kiosks located at select airports." I'm glad that worked for you on your return to the States. I'm also glad that you might (I am not privy to your circumstances on arrival in either Australia or New Zealand) have been allowed by the authorities to use our "fast lane." Unfortunately that doesn't work for us at your end.

Glad you were "lucky".

Cheers,

Jan
  • Jan's absolutely correct. We've been using Global Entry for several years, and it is only for entry at borders in the US. It also gives TSA Pre-Check privileges at US airports, but has no standing at other airports throughout the world.

Jerry
  • rabo wrote:
    Jan's absolutely correct. We've been using Global Entry for several years, and it is only for entry at borders in the US. It also gives TSA Pre-Check privileges at US airports, but has no standing at other airports throughout the world.

Jerry

Actually there are a few places where Global Entry is done when departing from a foreign airport and returning to the US on a US carrier. It only generally applies to US citizens (*and a few others), flying on a US carrier, returning to the US.

For those who aren't familiar with Global Entry (GOES):

"Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection program that expedites clearance for pre-approved, low-risk international travelers upon arrival in the United States. Basically, it allows you to pass through customs quickly (since you are “pre-approved”) and avoid long wait times, paperwork and extra hassle.

Once you arrive at an airport after an international trip, you are “fast tracked” to a Global Entry kiosk. You don’t have to fill out any customs forms on the plane or afterwards, you just insert your passport or U.S. permanent resident card, place fingertips on the scanner for fingerprint verification, and make a customs declaration. The kiosk issues you a transaction receipt, which you pass to an officer, and voila-you’re on your way!

Global Entry members may use the Smartgate system when entering Australia without registration. Global Entry kiosks are now available at Ireland’s Shannon and Dublin airports. The Auckland, Wellington, and Christchurch airports in New Zealand also have Global Entry lanes.

The following people are eligible for Global Entry:

U.S. citizens
    lawful permanent residents
    Dutch citizens
    South Korean citizens
    Mexican nationals
    Canadian citizens and residents have Global Entry Benefits if they are registered in the NEXUS program (more on NEXUS later)"

GOES worked great for us last year. It helped us get through entry formalities in a flash and allowed us to catch a connecting flight when we arrived late in Atlanta from Munich. The info quoted above is from the web, so I can't vouch for it, especially the info about Australia and New Zealand.
  • Alan . . . . Thanks for the updated information! Very much appreciated to be corrected with this. I'll be using it in Ireland in May.
  • edited February 2015
    rabo wrote:
    Alan . . . . Thanks for the updated information! Very much appreciated to be corrected with this. I'll be using it in Ireland in May.

Jerry- no problem. We are headed there too, in Sept! I am really looking forward to it.

I initially learned about GOES at the Dublin airport from Delta. I found some contradictory (outdated?) info when I just looked- one site only listed Dublin, not Shannon, though that doesn't affect us since we are flying out of Dublin.

Even with GOES there is no guarantee that you won't have to go through normal security (belt, shoes, etc.) line. I don't know if it is getting more popular ($100 a pop for 5 yr.), but it could end up being no better than not having it at all if too many people sign up. Of course, if a "Trusted Traveler" or a bad person who illegally obtained that status causes an incident, all be for naught.
  • One of the interesting, and most confusing things, about all this is that we are talking about 2 things ..... at least in the Australian context.

1) The Department of Immigration and Border Protection, and
    2) Australian Customs and Border Protection Service

Confusing? Certainly is. This is from the later's web page:

We work closely with other government and international agencies, in particular the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP), the Australian Federal Police, the Department of Agriculture and the Department of Defence, to detect and deter unlawful movement of goods and people across the border.

From 1 July 2015, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection and the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service will be consolidated into a single Department of Immigration and Border Protection. At this time, the Australian Border Force, a single frontline operational border agency, will be established within the department. The Blueprint for Integration and the Plan for Integration provide further information.

Yadda, yadda, yadda........

But it all boils down to 2 separate things .... getting in or out of a country and what you can or can't have with you when you are doing that. The new procedures hopefully make it easier and quicker for some people, but you still have to follow the rules of the country you are seeking entry into.

Now I need to go and make myself a pot of tea. My head hurts.

Cheers,

Jan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file