Options

Which Direction?

We are doing some advance planning for this cruise in 2016. Are there any reasons to take Westbound or Eastbound or will the experience be the same?

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015
    One consideration is that the Panama Canal actually runs more North/South than East/West as it seems it ought to. (Cheap bet: which entrance to the canal is farther east?...the Pacific entrance).

Anyway, transiting the canal from the Gulf to the Pacific is more or less south all the way, i.e., directly into the sun (which we did...I'd recommend the other way, especially for photographers).

However, there may be other aspects of this trip which trump the sun consideration on the canal.
  • Options
    Hi Eddhiggins,

Outside of pure directional differences (like the relative position of the sunrise on each of the two trips) the two are designed to be largely identical, and there should be no significant differences between the two. The experience should be more or less the same, just in reverse.

I hope this helps!

-Tim
  • Options
    Our room at the hotel in San Jose, Costa Rica was just OK. Just big enough for the bed, no dresser, no drawers, no shelves. The hotel is on the outskirts of San Jose but across from a very large, modern shopping mall. Probably everybody that got there early enough walked around in the mall to fill time.

The hotel in Panama City was terrific and is right in the City. Scenic walks along the ocean in front of the hotel and lots of nearby restaurants.

We went from south to north, Pacific to Caribbean. Our trip started OK and got better and better. If we had started at the hotel in Panama City and ended at the hotel in San Jose I don't know if we would have been as happy.

But we were very happy overall. It is a great trip and the Tere Moana is terrific, as are the many places you stop along the way.
  • Options
    Hi Bernie33,

I'm sorry that the trip started out only OK, but I'm glad you had a great time overall, and that things improved along the way. If you have any thoughts or suggestions for us, please feel free to email them to us at guestrelations@tauck.com

-Tim
  • Options
    Bernie33 wrote:
    We went from south to north, Pacific to Caribbean.

Actually . . . . . . . . overall your trip went north to south, Pacific to Caribbean, but south to north and east to west (still Pacific to Caribbean) when transiting the canal. Sorry, I just couldn't resist :)
  • Options
    AlanS wrote:
    Actually . . . . . . . . overall your trip went north to south, Pacific to Caribbean, but south to north and east to west (still Pacific to Caribbean) when transiting the canal. Sorry, I just couldn't resist :)
    Ummm ...... my head hurts ......
  • Options
    jdurkin wrote:
    Ummm ...... my head hurts ......

Mine too, just reading that!

-Tim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file