Options

2016 dates- when to go?

Tauck just posted the first batch of dates for the 2016 Classic Italy, Small Groups trip. Now, when to go????

I've looked at all the old posts, the "Before You Go" temps, rain, etc. and it seems Summer can tend to be a bit hot and the crowds larger, Spring (May) seems a bit cooler but not bad (highs in the low 70's), and fall pleasant but can still be hot, though most of those reports were from 2013 when all of Europe was experiencing a heat wave. We were on the England, Scotland, Wales trip at that time so can confirm that. More recent travelers reported wonderful weather in September/October. My memory isn't good enough to recall what it was like when I visited Naples a few times many, many years ago courtesy of Uncle Sam, so I also checked other sources-

According to Frommers, Rick Steves, and others April to June and Sept-Oct are the best for weather and crowds although the numbers of tourists start increasing rapidly by mid-late May and stay high until late Sept. Temps, which range from the mid-high 50's at night to the low-mid 70's during the day, start to climb by the end of May. A large percent of the population take their vacations and even close their shops from mid-August to mid-Sept. Except for the 1st (Italian Labor Day) there are no national holidays in May. Flowers are blooming April-June. The days are longer in May and June. Lesser chance of aqua alta in Venice in the Spring?

As you can guess I'm leaning towards May, but would appreciate input from others.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Late May would be perfect
  • Options
    Hi Alan,

While I can't vouch for the experience of going in May or this particular itinerary, I had an incredible time on a similar Italy trip in 2013, and just wanted to put my two cents in. When I was there in late September, temperatures were in the 80's (Fahrenheit) most days, but that was during a heat wave, after all. At the time, there were lots of tourists at major sites such as the Trevi fountain or St. Peter's, enough at times to even impede your ability to get through crowds, but most of the time it was not bad at all.

No matter when you go, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time. Let me know if you have any questions I can help with!

-Tim
  • Options
    I went in Sept on the recommendation of a lady I met from Italy on a riverboat cruise and had great weather. She said it is her favorite time of year. We had very little rain and was not too hot to.

Next I am going to try in spring. I know we want the best weather on our trips but there is a Rick Steeve radio show of eating with the season, because in Italy they eat fresh with what is in season.
  • Options
    Having been to Italy at all times of the year, I recommend late May/early June or mid-to-late September. Think you have the best chance of nice (but not too hot) weather and the crowds have thinned as the kids are back in school.
  • Options
    I took the Classic Italy - Small Group tour during the first two weeks of October, 2014, and the weather was beautiful. It rained only once during the two weeks and temperatures were in the low 70s until we hit Venice. Even then, the temperatures were in the mid-to-upper 60s. It was a great time to go.
  • Options
    Another vote for end of September/beginning of October. That is when we did Classic Italy and the weather was beautiful.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Update- Thanks all!

Since the recommendations, from all sources, were split, I went with longer days, spring flowers, etc. and reserved spots on the 8 May 2016 (8 - 21 May) trip. The itinerary and prices haven't been locked in so it shows as "Call to Book." The Tauck rep said she doesn't expect there to be any changes to the itinerary. It sure would be nice to see no change in price due to the strength of the dollar against the Europe and a drop in airfares due to the oil glut, but that is probably wishful thinking since it is so far off.

It is 15 months away, but I booked so early because desirable dates for this and other popular trips like Peru/Galapagos, often fill up while still in the "Call to Book" phase. Check out the 2016 Peru/Galapagos dates- right now, four out of the six March to June dates are already full and two others show limited space! (Note to self: book Peru-Galapagos early!). That makes 3 trips in the hopper!

Update #2: Frankly, right now the reason escapes me (just a tad warmer??), but, last month I switched us to the 22 May 2016 SG departure :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file