December 16, 2015 departure

Only 11 months to go, but getting excited! Will be visiting Hong Kong first for 4 days and then arriving in Hanoi. I will have 1/2 day free in Hanoi prior to meeting the group....any suggestions?? I am also interested in hearing feedback:suggestions from those who already went in this trip. Nancy

Comments

• Just back from a fantastic trip!! Flew directly from NYC to Hong Kong where we acclimated to the time change and had a great time touring, eating and shopping!! After 4 days, we flew to Hanoi. After checking into the hotel, we had a few free hours prior to the Welcome Reception ... We were off on a street food tour (Hanoi Street Food Tour). Not only did we taste a wide variety of wonderful foods, but our lovely guide discussed life in Hanoi. She even taught us how to cross the street In the midst of multiple racing scooters and cars. This was a wonderful introduction to Hanoi.

Then the tour began...and it was beyond wonderful. The itinerary was full and complete with superb local guides who shared much information, history and their very personal stories. We were definitely on the go--truly an assault on all senses! Each country had its own flavor and so much to absorb and see. The hotels were typical Tauck-magnificent and well situated. Our Tauck guide was impressive-well organized, charming, funny and knowledgeable. There was a small amount of down time: some in the group rested; some went to the gorgeous pools; and some (me and some of my co-travelers) explored every market and had a blast!

Having read the forum with its many complaints about the trip, I was a bit concerned. However, so many corrective changes were made --including staying at a fabulous boutique hotel in Hoi An right in town rather than being isolated at the beach in Na Dang. It was a smooth well planned itinerary.

This trip is a definite must-do. Even though I am still suffering from jet lag (back only 3 days), I am already looking into my next Tauck adventure!
  • We will have free time in Hanoi prior to our VN, Cambodia and Thailand trip in February. How did you book the Food Tour? Through the hotel or in advance…sounds like fun!
  • edited January 2016
    We booked the tour directly on-line. Our private tour (over 3 hours) was $30 per person. Their web site is hanoistreetfoodtour.com
    Our tour guide was Nga - also known as Ms. Money. She was absolutely charming and knowledgeable. Her English skills were quite good.

If you have a bit more time, there is wonderful shopping in the area where you begin/end the food tour -- fabulous silks!
    And do not forget to take the 'bunker tour' at the hotel--it was incredibly moving!! You need to sign up at the hotel - there is no cost for the tour. I think it is done at 5pm every evening.

Have fun!!
  • You'll have 1/2 day in Hanoi, you can join walking tour around Hanoi to visit some famous places in Hanoi such as Hoan Kiem Lake, One Pillar Pagoda, Temple of Literature. Don't forget enjoy Trang Tien ice-cream in Trang Tien Street. Further, I can introduce for you a free walking tour at https://www.vietnamtourbooking.com/en/hanoi/free-half-day-hanoi-walking-tour.html.
    Happy travel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file