Options

Arusha National Park tour

Disclaimer: Yes, I know it seems that this has been beaten to death, and yes, I read all the prior posts, but my wife claims I'm a bit OCD and I'm soooo confused, so, if it pleases, could Merlin321, BillWest66, British, ndvb, Jan, Portolan, lindapavlo or anyone else who has done this recently please help me clarify a few things. There are some conflicting numbers and I am just trying to get all the details straight in my mind and tally the costs so I know how many (newish and crisp) greenbacks I potentially need to carry.

Part of my confusion may be because I went to the Arusha Nat'l Park website which lists park fees which may or may not be correct, and I haven't figured out what I will be paying for, when, and to whom; and who provides what service to whom. I realize that many of my questions will be answered at the hotel after we get there, but remember, you are dealing with someone who is a bit OCD :)

The below assumes just two travelers, though my eventual goal is to see if we can get one another couple to join us for the trip to the park for a 2 - 2 - 2 tour (drive-walk-drive).

If you could please re-confirm or correct the following:

1. Reservations can be made the day/night before at the Duluti front desk?

2.a. The cost for car (jeep?) + driver (guide?) is $200. 2.b. per vehicle or per person? (+ tip) for up to 6 people, c. paid in cash USD (only)?

3.a. Item 2. is just for transport to and from the park, NOT for the park tour? b. The driver stays outside with his vehicle? c. NO, the driver is also your guide and drives you through the park.

4.a. The entry fee to the park $45 USD per person (as stated on park website)? b. Assuming the park's reader and my card work, this can be paid with credit card as has been stated here on the K&T forum or in cash ?

5.a. Entry includes a tour by park vehicle? b. NO, your vehicle provides this portion of the tour? c. If applicable, do you pay a vehicle entry or is that included in the cost of the tour?

6.a. The walking tour (according to the park website) is $20 per person (for 1-4 hours)? b. Is that $20 per person, per hour? or what? c. Do you also pay a "guide/ranger service fee"? (park website lists that as $20)

7. By my assumptions and calculations, which appear close to at least one forum posted number, the total cost if just my wife and I take the tour would be: $200 transport + $130 park = $330 ($230 with an additional couple)

Car + driver from the Duluti Hotel = $200 USD? + tip (cash only)
Park entry = 2 x $45 = $90 USD? (cash or credit)
2 hour walking tour = 2 pax X $20 = $40? or is it 2 pax X 2 hr. x $20 = $80 (which would make the cost of the park $170 per couple.)

Total = $330 (or $370)

8. Related questions- what is included with the box lunch provided by the hotel? Are you given any menu choices when you make the arrangements? Is this included in the cost of the tour?

To make it easier to reply for those who have the answers, just quote me and delete the incorrect info and make any necessary corrections to my text. Again, my apologies to those who have posted about this in the past.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015
    AlanS wrote:
    Disclaimer: Yes, I know it seems that this has been beaten to death, and yes, I read all the prior posts, but my wife claims I'm a bit OCD and I'm soooo confused, so, if it pleases, could Merlin321, BillWest66, British, ndvb, Jan, Portolan, lindapavlo or anyone else who has done this recently please help me clarify a few things. There are some conflicting numbers and I am just trying to get all the details straight in my mind and tally the costs so I know how many (newish and crisp) greenbacks I potentially need to carry.

Part of my confusion may be because I went to the Arusha Nat'l Park website which lists park fees which may or may not be correct, and I haven't figured out what I will be paying for, when, and to whom; and who provides what service to whom. I realize that many of my questions will be answered at the hotel after we get there, but remember, you are dealing with someone who is a bit OCD :)
    WOW, I AM SO CONFUSED, WILL ANSWER WHAT I CAN REMEMBER, BUT FROM WHAT. I HAVE READ IN THE PAST ON THIS FORUM, IT SEEMS TO ME THAT PEOPLE ARE PAYING VARYING AMOUNTS FOR THE SAME SERVICE FROM THE SAME PEOPLE, AFTER ALL, THIS IS AFRICA AS THEY SAY. AND WE ARE SEEN AS RICH AMERICANS, BRITISH

The below assumes just two travelers, though my eventual goal is to see if we can get one another couple to join us for the trip to the park for a 2 - 2 - 2 tour (drive-walk-drive).
    IT'S MUCH NICER TO DO THIS TOUR ON yOUR OWN. THEN FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOU HAVE HAD ENOUGH, WANT TO STAY LONGER, OR IN OUR CASE, SKIP THE SMALL 'MUSEUM' AT THE END OF THE TRIP --AS WE DID, YOU CAN. AS A PHOTOGRAPHER YOU CAN SPEND AS MUCH TIME AS YOU WANT TO DO THIS, AND IT MAYBE YOUR ONLY CHANCE ON THE ENTIRE TOUR TO BE ABLE TO TAKE YOUR TIME WITHOUT POTENTIALLY ANNOYING OTHER PEOPLE.

If you could please re-confirm or correct the following:

1. Reservations can be made the day/night before at the Duluti front desk? YES, BUT IT WAS QUIET WHEN WE WERE THERE BECAUSE PEOPLE WERE CANCELLING THE TAUCK TOURS BECAUSE OF TERRORIST ATTACKS, MAYBE IT WILL BE BUSIER WHEN YOU GO. BUT ON OTHER HAND, THIS IS AFRICA, SO THEY MAY FIND SOMEONE TO TAKE YOU.

2.a. The cost for car (jeep?) + driver (guide?) is $200. 2.b. per vehicle or per person? (+ tip) for up to 6 people, c. paid in cash USD (only)?
    WHATEVER I SAID FOR PRICE IN MY ORIGINAL POST WAS CORRECT FOR US. PER VEHICLE. CASH ONLY

3.a. Item 2. is just for transport to and from the park, NOT for the park tour? b] b.[/b] The driver stays outside with his vehicle? c. NO, the driver is also your guide and drives you through the park. DRIVER IS YOUR GUIDE AND USES SAME VEHICLE. FOR WALKING TOUR YOU HAVE ANOTHER GUIDE AND YOUR GUIDE STAYS BEHIND AT THE VISITOR CENTER ANDI I GUESS EATS HIS LUNCHBOX

4.a. The entry fee to the park $45 USD per person (as stated on park website)? b. Assuming the park's reader and my card work, this can be paid with credit card as has been stated here on the K&T forum or in cash ?
    WHATEVER I SAID IN POST WAS APPROXIMATE FEE. SOMETIMES CREDIT CARD MACHINE WONT WORK AND THEY WILL WANT CASH

5.a. Entry includes a tour by park vehicle? b. NO, your vehicle provides this portion of the tour? c. If applicable, do you pay a vehicle entry or is that included in the cost of the tour? YOU ARE IN THE SAME VEHICLE YOU START WITH

6.a. The walking tour (according to the park website) is $20 per person (for 1-4 hours)? b. Is that $20 per person, per hour? or what? c. Do you also pay a "guide/ranger service fee"? (park website lists that as $20) PER PERSON, NO IDEA ABOUT RANGER SERVICE FEE, DO NOT RECALL LOOKING AT WEBSITE BEFORE OUR TRIP

7. By my assumptions and calculations, which appear close to at least one forum posted number, the total cost if just my wife and I take the tour would be: $200 transport + $130 park = $330 ($230 with an additional couple

Car + driver from the Duluti Hotel = $200 USD? + tip (cash only)
    Park entry = 2 x $45 = $90 USD? (cash or credit)
    2 hour walking tour = 2 pax X $20 = $40? or is it 2 pax X 2 hr. x $20 = $80 (which would make the cost of the park $170 per couple.)

Total = $330 (or $370
    APPROXIMATELY WHAT I SAID IT WAS ON MY POST

8. Related questions- what is included with the box lunch provided by the hotel? Are you given any menu choices when you make the arrangements? Is this included in the cost of the tour?
    CANNOT RECALL IF THERE WAS A CHOICE, MAYBE YOU DO FOR THE SANDWICH, YOU GET A BOX FILLED WITH MANY DIFFERENT THINGS, EAT WHAT YOU WANT, GIVE WHAT YOU DONT TO LOCALS, THIS IS AFRICA, BE GRATEFUL FOR ANYTHING EDIBLE. I LUCKED OUT ON ALL THE LUNCH BOXES WE HAD BECAUSE THEY PROVIDE REAL GENUINE CADBURY'S CHOCOLATE NOT THE HERSHEY RUBBISH-MADE CADBURY CHOCOLATE. OH YES AND AS AN ASSIDE THE AFRICANS KNOW HOW TO MAKE A CUP OF TEA TOO.

To make it easier to reply for those who have the answers, just quote me and delete the incorrect info and make any necessary corrections to my text. Again, my apologies to those who have posted about this in the past.
    YES ALAN, OCD, HA HA . BEST WISHES
    AS YOU WILL BE USING DOLLARS, TAKE AT LEAST APPROXIMATELY THIS COST PLUS CASH FOR BARTERING WITH MASSAI AT THE VILLAGE. WE SPENT $250 AT OUR VILLAGE BECAUSE WE HAVE BEEN BEFORE, KNEW WHAT WE WANTED AND WERE PREPARED TO PAY UP, MOST PEOPLE WOULD PROBABLY NOT PAY THAT BECAUSE THEY DONT REALIZE ITS THE BEST PLACE TO SEE AND GET THIS STUFF AND MIGHT BE HOLDING OUT FOR LATER IN THE TRIP--- DONT FORGET WE JUST DID TANZANIA THIS PAST AFRICA TRIP.
    JUST ADDING SINCE I READ THE NEXT COUPLE OF POSTS, THE TANZANIA TRIP DOES NOT GO TO THE CULTURAL CENTER OR RUG WEAVING. HAVE BEEN TO THE CULTURAL CENTER BEFORE, GOOD PLACE TO BUY STUFF. I HAD A COUPLE OF ITEMS I BOUGHT DISSAPPEAR, I THINK FROM MY LUGGAGE DUFFEL IN MY TENT, NOT SURE, BUT IT WAS 5 LOVELY LEATHER BRACELETS I HAD BOUGHT FOR FRIENDS AT ABOUT $20 EACH, THEY MAY HAVE NOT MADE IT FROM THE STORE, I HAD SEVERAL BAGS, SO PLEASE CHECK YOU HAVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK YOU BOUGHT IF YOU GET IT THERE BECAUSE ITS ALL TAKEN TO A WRAPPING AREA AND THAT COULD HAVE BEEN WHERE IT WENT ASTRAY, NEVER MIND, YOU LEARN THESE THINGS.

• Options
    I sent an email to the hotel a couple of days ago asking about availability and pricing. No reply yet.

I'll have the latest information in a few weeks as we'll be there (Lake Duluti) from 22-24 January and will report back.

Thanks, British, for giving us a good estimate (which we'll pad) in case we don't have any information prior to departure.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    "A BIT" OCD???? I'll bet that is too soft of an adjective for your wife to use. However, I like being prepared for the trips also. I leave in two days but I am way behind on the packing and putting together the necessary paperwork. I've never been this unprepared so close to the trips as I am now. I don't like coming into a situation and being blind sided.

Unfortunately, I didn't take this extra excursion so I can't help with the specifics there.

On the money front, I took too much cash, although it really wasn't an issue. I managed to spend it later. If my wife had been alive and on the trip, it would have been spent no matter what. I used cash when I bought something from the Masai folks and when we went to the grocery store (I bought some coffee for my coffee drinking friends--which, by the way, they loved). I bought a spear and knife from a guy walking around. He wasn't trying to sell them, I just asked how much he wanted. Barter hard...he wanted $100 for both and I offered $20, he went to $80, I stayed at $20, he went to $60, I stayed at $20, he went to $40, I went to $30, he said ok, I gave him $40 anyway and it made both of us "happy campers." From looking at other places that was a fair price for both of us. $30 would have been too cheap and not fair to him. You are seen as a "rich, multimillionaire," whether you are, or not.

I did buy an art piece and shipped it home from the Cultural Center, but that was all done on my credit card. I negotiated the price before telling them I was using a credit card and once they knew I was using a credit card, they tried to up the price, but I refused to budge. They weren't going to lose out on a nice paycheck over a 3% surcharge, even though they did act a bit pissed. I had a small issue with getting the item shipped and I'm glad I used the credit card because I could have canceled the payment if not satisfied and make it their problem. If I handed them the cash, it would have become my problem. For the same reason, I don't use a debit card. Once a company has your money from a debit card, you have to work to get it back. With a credit card, they have to work to get the money from you.

Now, there were some folks who spent hundreds of dollars at the village or in "shops" (a blanket) elsewhere. You will need cash if you do that. It is all up to you.....and your wife, I suspect.

Have a safe and happy trip. It was one of, if not THE, best I have taken. Take lots of pictures. They make great gifts for birthdays, Christmas, etc. I framed one I gave to a daughter of a friend of ours for graduation who loves animals and she just went crazy with happiness. People love that it is a picture of an animal you saw in the wild. Put a nice frame and matting on it and they look great. I just renovated a condo in Florida and in the master bedroom I used my African photos for the walls. I used pictures I took in the area, beaches, and marinas for the rest of the house. I had them printed on glass and the colors just jump off of the pictures. I am going to enlarge one to about 30x20 and print it on aluminum for a wall spot left over in the living room. You'll love the pictures you take in Africa....it is truly a special place. Have fun and keep us informed. You've been waiting a long time for this trip and it was worth waiting for.
  • Options
    Also cannot offer any info on the Arusha Nat'l Park tour as I don't believe anyone in our group took that excursion. We did take a coffee plantation tour at the Lake Duluti Hotel which was arranged through our Tauck TD which was quite interesting. As I recall it was around $30pp including lunch. As mentioned by others you'll need some cash for purchasing at the Masai village, purchases at the cultural center and the weavers can be done on a credit card. Unless you're really big time shoppers $250pp plus whatever you spend on the Arusha Nat'l Park tour should be plenty.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    British- thanks so much! As usual you raised some points I hadn't considered. A few $ here, a few $ there-eh? You cleared up the main point about the $200 and what it covers.

As to money for souvenirs and gifts- at this point neither my wife nor I have plans to buy much of anything, certainly nothing that costs much.

Good point, if we decide to go on our own, we will be be able to control our schedule, especially if one of us runs out of steam : ). I'll let LOML decide.

I don't know the reason- Ebola, regional unrest, bad date, still early, etc., etc., but so far our tour date is wide open. Maybe there won't be any problem scheduling the Arusha Park tour at the hotel. I haven't cross-checked yet to see if a TZ-Zanzibar tour will be in Arusha at the same time.

Portolan- thanks!

ndvb- you underestimate my wife :) We don't leave until early June, but I've already sent in our Kenya visa applications and have the TZ visa packages ready to go when we get our passports back. I also started making a packing list. :) - Me, OCD? No way!

Good to know about bartering- I've only experienced that many years ago in the Philippines, and am not especially good at it. On the other hand, I am cheap! Good point about credit cards. I plan to use one whenever possible.

That is a great idea about using photos for XMAS presents, especially for our three young grandchildren. Also, we have a wall in our great room that has been blank since we moved in 10 years ago! We could never decide what to put there. However I recently got approval for my suggestion to fill it with enlargements, mounted but not framed, of photos I have taken during our Tauck trips. (I had another wild(?) idea for bookshelf chotskies- paint Travelocity "Roaming Gnomes" in the costumes of the countries we have visited, e.g. tartan kilted gnome for Scotland, lederhosen gnome for Germany & Austria. Unfortunately (depends on who you talk to :) ), Travelocity which had gnomes of the right size and appearance, stopped selling them.

Bill- thanks.
  • Options
    AlanS, check into the photographs printed on either GLASS or ALUMINUM. The colors just jump off of them...and you can get them at any size and they are not framed.
  • Options
    We did not go to the park, but part of this discussion caught my eye...photos as gifts. Here's a cool idea that worked very well for us. I did a beautiful photo book of our trip for our own benefit (used My Publisher...deluxe, flat pages, special paper, etc.), and our toddler grandchildren loved to look through it. For Christmas, I created a smaller, individual book for each of them. I wrote a personalized little story of each one traveling to Africa and seeing all of the animals to go along with the photos. I incorporated photos of them with my Africa photos as they "visited" various locations! It was done with the flat pages and the better paper (easier for little hands, although, they only get to look at them with supervision, I am told) and has become a cherished keepsake. Of course, having a bizillion photos of those grandkids (and, don't we all???) helps make the task easier.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    ndvb- I saved your older post about glass prints! I'm serious gonna give that a try!

Joyce- another great idea. I had planned make Shutterfly books for each of our trips, but am already 3 trips behind! Mini-books for our grandkids sounds like a great idea.

Anyone notice Tauck seems to be in the process of updating the website- appearance and layout of many pages and the headers is new, there is some new tour info and dates, and a "customize your experience" popup is appearing though it doesn't seem to do anything . . . . yet.
  • Options
    AlanS wrote:
    Anyone notice Tauck seems to be in the process of updating the website- appearance and layout of many pages and the headers is new, there is some new tour info and dates, and a "customize your experience" popup is appearing though it doesn't seem to do anything . . . . yet.
    I did, Alan. The home page doesn't seem to give, at least for my geo area, the same prominence to you know who. And that's gotta be a good thing! The first thing I check was that the Tauck contact numbers from Australia were still listed ... and they were actually for Norwalk, CT. I realise it's probably quite a long work in progress ... but as it stands today, I'm not sure I like the home page and basic Find Your Trip search facility too well. But hey, let's not jump the gun. Lots of effort and be stuff to come yet, I'm sure. I managed to make that pop up vanish altogether. And I don't even glare at it .......

Cheers,

Jan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file