Options

Eastbound 7/9/15 on the Jewel - right choice?

This will be our first cruise (river or sea) and we're both nervous. It's something I've wanted to do for a while but my husband is not really "on board" with the idea. We are both active (he an avid biker) and are worried the trip will not be active enough and the ship too confining. I'd love to hear some words of encouragement from anyone out there that will make us feel like we've made the right decision.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I can understand why the word cruise might set your inner workings all a flutter .... and not in a good way. Visions of loud, bogan behaviour, loud bogan shirts, loud plaid trousers, staff clamouring for tips and bar staff serving half measure drinks for double measure prices. Bad mannered passengers at every turn .... and they are just the adults, never mind the feral kids! Ah yes, what's not to love about that sea-sickness enhanced vision! (Yes, I know many people adore this type of experience, but this question is not about that.)

Thankfully, you have chosen a Tauck river boat for your first cruising experience. And since you are an active pair, I think you could happily think of your off boat time as an expedition through various European cultures and times. With the comfort and style of a 5 star accommodation & transportation experience thrown in for good measure! There is a great deal of off boat walking and since you are very active you will have the advantage over many in having strong ankles that can laugh in the face of those unforgiving European cobblestones! While the river boats don't carry motor bikes they do have push bikes (bicycles) which you can borrow. I think you can make your trip as active as you want. The daily excursions can be tempered to fit almost any level of fitness. Thank goodness. (Speaking personally, here!) Seriously, on my last trip one of the guests often, but not always, used a walking frame and as I'd guessed, she confirmed she was still getting used to her new hip. On a free afternoon, after labouring up a steep cobblestone street to the top of the town, I spied that couple trundling by in a small "tractor train". Now that was a really good way to get to the Roman ruins at the top of the town!

My point is that I think you will be fine. The ship moves you magically to a new location almost daily .... with new & different sights to discover. There is so much variety and so many possibilities. And they are all included. While I can't promise you won't see loud shirts and trousers on your trip, I'm pretty sure it won't be anything like the horror of your worst cruise nightmare!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    First off, I assume you chose a European river cruise because you're interested in history, architecture, art, classical music, etc. If not, then you might indeed be very bored.

I read through the detailed description of your cruise and it looks like everyday there are walking tours and often free time to explore as you wish. You are always free to go with the tour guides on the planned excursions or explore on your own. The tour/cruise directors are happy to help you with maps, suggestions, etc. If you want a bike, just ask and they crew will get one out for you. Just be back on board at sailing time. (I don't know what they do if someone is missing, but wouldn't want to be the one to find out.)

If you aren't getting enough exercise, you can always get up a bit early and go for a walk or bike ride before breakfast then join the walking tours. Or skip happy hour in the evening if the ship is staying put and take a walk.

The only time you might feel a little confined is during daylight hours when the ship is underway to the next port. I only saw a couple of times when that was the schedule and only on days when there was at least 1 walking tour. If sitting on the deck and watching the amazing scenery isn't enough, you can use the small fitness center, play putt putt or do laps around the ship on the upper deck, etc. Actually, its usually a good time to catch up on email (if the wifi is available), sort thru all the photos you've taken, read, nap, chat with fellow travelers, etc.

You'll notice that lots of cruisers on the various cruise forums mention that your stateroom size doesn't matter that much because you spend so little time in your room. That is most people's experience. They are so busy with the various activities and desire to be out and about that their room mostly just gets used for sleeping and changing clothes.

Your tour sounds amazing (maybe this will be our 2016 cruise?) with plenty to do. Really, you'll be so busy and the time will go by so fast you're more likely to laugh that you ever thought it wasn't active enough.
  • Options
    Thank you both so much for taking the time and answering my concerns. Tomorrow is my reservation deadline for the cabin they are holding. You've helped to make my decision a little easier????
  • Options
    Happy to help! If you do take up your reservation, I hope you have a fabulous time. You will be travelling through some spectacular landscapes with unique historical values. Tauck will take very good care of you.

Cheers,

Jan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file