Wifi?

Does anyone know if the hotels we will be staying in have free wifi?

Comments

• All Tauck tours now include free wifi where available
  • Hi Sue M,

Yes, British is correct. Where available, all wifi is now free. Here's a breakdown of internet availability on this trip:
    • Langham Melbourne – High Speed Internet in rooms
    • Sails in the Desert, Ayers Rock – Wifi available in lobby
    • Kewarra Beach Resort – Wireless Internet available in rooms
    • Intercontinental Sydney – Broadband cable in all rooms - No Wi-Fi in rooms
    • Copthorne Wellington – Wi-FI available in rooms
    • Distinction Te Anau – Wireless Internet available in rooms
    • Crowne Plaza Queenstown – Broadboard available in rooms (wifi not good in rooms – but
      available in public areas)
    • Langham Auckland – Broadband cable in all rooms – Wifi only in public areas
      – Complimentary computer terminals on levels 5 & 6

I hope this helps!

-Tim
  • Thanks for such detailed feedback!
    OK- here is where I show my lack of modern technology knowledge....what is the difference between "wifi available in rooms" and "high internet access in rooms"? I am bringing my iPad and want to know when I will be able to email relatives and check my incoming emails.
  • I might not have gotten the terminology correct in my previous email...basically, what is the difference between these terms as it will relate to my using the iPad for receiving and sending emails?
    Thanks.
  • Thanks Tim for the info!! I will keep that in my file. ????
  • Sue M, yes indeed, learning all the techno is certainly an ongoing challenge! Basically, broadband and high speed internet mean you probably have to connect your ipad to a cable in the room, wifi means wireless connection---i'm sure that someone more techy than I am will chip in here.
    A good tip for emailing I use is the following. Just in case you may lose connection which always seems to happen when you are typing a long email to people back home. For sending a longish email, or for my diary of the trip. On my ipad I go into the Notes App, type it all there, because that works without internet, then when I have time to email it or indeed when I can get a connection I cut and paste it into an email. I send the diary to myself and use it when I make my photo book. SO if you have no access in your room, you can type it all there, then go down to the hotel lobby and send it quickly from there. Again, I am sure others will hopefully enlighten us both how to do some super wiz things on our ipads.
  • Hi British-
    Wow! Thanks for the advice! I never thought of first typing emails on "notes" and then just emailing them when wifi becomes available. I never even noticed that you can email notes.
    I just played with it on my iPad...terrific!
    In early Jan. we are taking a Caribbean cruise where our wifi package (time) will be limited. Taking my time and writing an email first in "notes" (anytime) will save me precious wifi minutes when I get on the internet. I can then just quickly email what I have written and not use my minutes to write.
    In the past, I have always kept a diary (for a photo book) on paper. Now I will keep a diary in "notes" and then email them to myself when we have wifi...a good backup.
    Keep these suggestions coming!
    Sue
  • Another question...
    Will I be able to connect my iPad to a cable in the room for "Broadband cable" or "high speed internet"?
  • edited December 2014
    Will have to ask hubby that one, maybe someone else will answer this one since I have never needed to try.
    Just looked back on the forum and note I will get back from NZ before you go. Will hope to post a review.
    Noted you will be doing a tour in Melbourne before the official tour begins. Like Jan, I would advise chilling before the tour begins if you are only arriving a day early, I have done this Tauck tour before. If you have not been to Australia and experienced the jet lag from there, it takes several days to adjust, there are lots of early starts.
  • edited December 2014
    My wife is the iPad user. I just looked at it and there are no jacks (no CAT5 jack- looks like a big telephone jack- for broad band / high speed internet) on the iPad so you must have a WiFi signal (or cell phone 3G/4G data service if your iPad is so equipped) to connect to the internet.
  • Hi Tim,
    Very helpful list. Would you have details for
    Silky Oaks Lodge (Mossman)
    Sifitel (Queenstown)
    We are on a mid-Feb trip.
    Cheers,
    Ed
    TauckTim wrote:
    Hi Sue M,

Yes, British is correct. Where available, all wifi is now free. Here's a breakdown of internet availability on this trip:
    • Langham Melbourne – High Speed Internet in rooms
    • Sails in the Desert, Ayers Rock – Wifi available in lobby
    • Kewarra Beach Resort – Wireless Internet available in rooms
    • Intercontinental Sydney – Broadband cable in all rooms - No Wi-Fi in rooms
    • Copthorne Wellington – Wi-FI available in rooms
    • Distinction Te Anau – Wireless Internet available in rooms
    • Crowne Plaza Queenstown – Broadboard available in rooms (wifi not good in rooms – but
      available in public areas)
    • Langham Auckland – Broadband cable in all rooms – Wifi only in public areas
      – Complimentary computer terminals on levels 5 & 6

I hope this helps!

-Tim
  • Hi Alan,
    An Apple AirPort Express Base Station might do the trick if there is an Ethernet connection in the room. With it you create your own wi-fi network. It is small and easy to pack and I might give it a try here before the trip.
    Ed

AlanS wrote:
    My wife is the iPad user. I just looked at it and there are no jacks (no CAT5 jack- looks like a big telephone jack- for broad band / high speed internet) on the iPad so you must have a WiFi signal (or cell phone 3G/4G data service if your iPad is so equipped) to connect to the internet.
  • Ashed
    Two points, one, from January this tour will no longer stay at the Crown Plaza in Queenstown, it will be the Sofitel with wifi in rooms. Apart from, I think it is the first two dates in January, the tour will no longer stay at the Langham in Auckland, but also a Sofitel which will have in room wifi.
    Two. If you go to the actual websites for all the Tauck hotels you will find far more details of what you may find available in your room, plus all other manner of things like nearby attractions. I guess some people are not used to booking hotels!
  • Thanks for the update...
    Ed
    British wrote:
    Ashed
    Two points, one, from January this tour will no longer stay at the Crown Plaza in Queenstown, it will be the Sofitel with wifi in rooms. Apart from, I think it is the first two dates in January, the tour will no longer stay at the Langham in Auckland, but also a Sofitel which will have in room wifi.
    Two. If you go to the actual websites for all the Tauck hotels you will find far more details of what you may find available in your room, plus all other manner of things like nearby attractions. I guess some people are not used to booking hotels!
  • AlanS wrote:

Just go to Amazon or the like and search for "travel router." For about $20 you get a very small device which plugs into a wired Ethernet port and broadcasts the connection via wireless. Can be powered by a USB cable to another device or with a (sometimes) included adapter.

This thread has reminded me that I don't have a solution for my Kindle and iPhone in the same circumstance, so I've ordered one myself.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file